Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Thank you from a southerner of Africa (Cape Town)!
fanush is offline Find More Posts by fanush
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,584 Posts
Lovely place, Cape Town...
challenger_i is online now Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi.
To AEROMODELLER February 1966 and gracing the cover is Laurie Bagley’s painting of the legendary Swordfish or “String Bag” with the wind whistling through the rigging, clattering along at 100 knots with the aid of the straining Pegasus.

The first free flight plan THATAWAY is for those than do not know if they are coming or going.

Designer GEOF PEGG said it is a canard with booms and it's proved to be a fast reliable and stable flyer.

Although it looks very different it is easy to build but Geof warns not to turn right under power.

Next to someone who is well known for his many unorthodox fun designs down the years RAY MALSTROM.

But this time he has come up with a very nice conventional little rubber scale model for the EASTBOURN 1913 MONOPLANE.

Of robust construction it would be the ideal introduction to this type of model.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and G.A.G. COX takes a very detailed look at the aircraft on the cover the FAIRY SWORDFISH.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Old May 03, 2012, 03:58 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Austin Whippet

Swankee,
Reckon this will help you out.
Thanks for the invite for a beer, shame it wasn't a couple of years ago on my return from Nord Kap. Myself and a friend travelled along the Norwegian coast from Kristiansands up to the top and then returned via Finland and Sweden. I think the plan was to readjust to sensible pricing after two weeks in Norway.
Our stops in Sweden included Kalix, Umea, Sundsvall, Sala and Gullspang. It was certainly very different from the rugged, barren but impressive Norwegian coast.
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old May 03, 2012, 05:54 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Model Aircraft October 1954

Curtiss Jenny 29" span FF scale

Penny Rocket 36.5" span FF power duration

Model Aircraft November 1954

Only one plan in this issue the Bee 25 which is control line, link to plan below. Perhaps of more interest in this issue was the article by RH Warring "Making the most of magazine plans" which shows you how to scale up the plans printed in magazines without having to buy the full size plan. If only they could have looked into the future and computers and graphics programs

Bee 25 25" span C/L sport http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=384
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old May 04, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To the July 1998 AEROMODELLER with the cover showing Karl-Georg Kraft taking part in the C/L Scale World Championships with his Laird Super Solution.

One free flightplan to be found and it’s for PETE. Designed by BRIAN WILSON Pete is a 30 inch wingspan all sheet biplane for 0.5 to 1.0cc engines.

Quick and easy to build it’s the ideal ‘spare” model to have in your car boot for a bit of for fun flying on the weekend.

Cheers

Algy
Old May 05, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Staying in 1998 and the March issue of AEROMODELLER.

The cover features the lovely Victor Driscoll 1/11th scale 50” span free flight Westland Wapiti 11A. It took out the coveted Aeromodeller Cup at that years International Model Show.

To TOMAHAWK a 121/2” span catapult glider by MARK BEES. Of semi scale appearance Mark designed it for his two sons though admits he has more fun flying it then they did.

Quick, easy and cheap to build why not make one?

Next to something a little more sophisticated and even more fun it's FANDANGO by well known PETER HOLLAND.

This is a very nice looking flying wing for two Union Fan Units or similar. Peter did some development work to get the CG right and it now flies like a charm.

Keep the structure light as advised and enjoy some relaxing sport flying with a model that is a little bit different.

Cheers

Algy
Old May 06, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To February 1965 for this look at AEROMODELLER.

The cover photos shows brothers Derek and Bernard with their scale R/C DE Havilland 60 Gypsy Moth taken at the 1964 British Nationals.

The first feature article and plan was for DAVE WHITE’S A/2 glider “ROLLING STONE”

Quite a bit of development work went into the final layout which is an all weather model designed to cope with the English weather conditions.

The full construction article gives you all you need to know in making your own Rolling Stone.

Next to an interesting article on on something most of have used in making models, Dope.

It traces it’s very first use on Aircraft in WW1 and gives some useful information on colours for the scale builder.

Next to CONCORD a 12 inch span semi scale version of the ANGLO-FRENCH supersonic jetliner for .020 power.

This is the work of K.J. DOWNTON and of all sheet construction. Plans are full size.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED with PETER GRAY taking a detailed look at the PFALZ D 111.

Cheers

Algy
Old May 07, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Turning to the December1965 issue of AEROMODELLER. Sorry no cover scan as mine does not have one.

First off was a lovely one eighth scale plan for the De HAVILLAND 80 PUSS MOTH by F.G. LONGBON.

The Puss Moth is quite an historical aircraft with many incredible long distance flight records being set by the likes of aviatrix Amy Johnson and others.

The model has all the characteristics of the full size plane. The plan was printed as a 1/6th reproduction.

Next an article of interest to lone glider fliers. It’s a way to self launch your model. Quick and easy to make.

Centre page was a full size plan for DAVE WHITE’S BARON KNIGHT 11 a design that will be familiar to contest flyers of the 60’s

It's a proven place winner and reasonably simple to build.

To get amongst the “cups’ Dave used to wind to breaking point and use a new motor for every flight. Rubber must have been cheaper then. You can take things a little more gently.

The all important prop layout is on the plan.

Next to a semi, stand way of scale, EBENEZER FLEA by Jim FULLERTON. This was printed full size across two pages.

Of all sheet construction and with 171/4 inch wingspan it is designed for .01-.02 engines.

Hate to say it but it looks cute.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and G.R. DUVAL puts the REPUBLIC P47 THUNDERBOLT under the microscope.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; May 07, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,335 Posts
Thanks AGAIN algy!!!

Was Rolling Stone A-2 in any way related to "Pink lady" which, IIRC, won FAI world champs a few years later?

Used to dream over those P-47 drawings for HOURS and HOURS.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old May 07, 2012, 10:30 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Pink Lady was designed, built and flown by
Elton Drew.
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old May 07, 2012, 11:18 AM
Crossville Memorial, Tennesse, United States
Joined Jul 2003
203 Posts
Baron Knight

Algy

Thanks for posting the Baron Knight plan. I built one from that plan back in 1968. It was a fine flying model. I lost the plan and the model many years ago.

John
JohnBlankenship is offline Find More Posts by JohnBlankenship
Old May 07, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,335 Posts
Thank you flight999,

For the Pink Lady info. Couldnt help but notice that Rolling Stone design has similar features (pylon and nose shape) I admired when I first saw Pink Lady. Latter was influencing my striaght tow A-1's well into the 1980's. Nobody operates in a vacuum!
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old May 07, 2012, 05:04 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
Thank you flight999,

For the Pink Lady info. Couldnt help but notice that Rolling Stone design has similar features (pylon and nose shape) I admired when I first saw Pink Lady. Latter was influencing my striaght tow A-1's well into the 1980's. Nobody operates in a vacuum!
You are quite right. It was the fashion of the time. Think the first was the
Witchita of Mike Woodhouse. or it might even have been further back with the
hatchet designs like the Mercury kitted Gilly Chopper, pre F1a's.
I am open to correction, it was a long time ago
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old May 09, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeler free flight plans

Hi,
This time it’s the May 1991 AEROMODELLER with the cover showing Roy Collins with his latest Power craft taken at the 1990 UK Nationals.

One free flight design to be found in the form of a very nice scale rubber GEE BEE R-1 by ANDREW HEWITT.

This is quite a large rubber model despite the wingspan being just 21 inches. Small wings were all the rage for best dressed Racers of that era.

The original, it seems, was rather tricky to fly but Andrew said his very accurate to scale in outline creation has excellent flying qualities being stable and flies safely in windy conditions. The 1/12th plan is full size.

Certainly a very famous plane and as a model would look rather special in the air.

Thanks for the feedback on my last two posts. Brought back a few memories for a couple of people.
I will keep an eye out for the PINK LADY plan and post if found.

I do have the plan and build article scanned for the PINK ELEPHANT from the May 1979 issue. It’s an F.A.I. glider of very similar design. Thought I had previously posted it but a search of the indexes does not bring it up.

If you want can post it next time.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; May 09, 2012 at 05:55 PM.