Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:19 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2011
22 Posts
Taylor F1C

If someone has the July 1972 Aeromodeller, I would be very grateful if they could post the GA drawing of an F1C design by Jim Taylor.
Silver742 is offline Find More Posts by Silver742
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,

We first go to the April 1990 AEROMODELLER with the cover showing JOHN ARMSTRONG proudly kneeling behind his AVRO AVIAN at Old Warden.

Two very tasty full size plans to be found in this issue the first being “MINI” SKYSKOOTER by CLIVE WESTERMAN for CO2 power.

This is a fine rendition of the Vintage VERON cabin classic with a wingspan of 24 inches.

Next is “MINI” JADED MAID TONY BROOKES’ version of the NORMAN MARCUS 1951 classic.

The original collected a cabinet full of trophies and this version will give a lot of fun. It even has a tissue “Parachute” dethermaliser.

Both these models would very easily convert to electric power if you do not have a CO2 motor tucked away.

For those wanting to try a PENNYPLANE BRIAN KENNY had his “KENNY PENNY” an ideal introduction to this class.

There is a very comprehensive construction article plus the plan and details on how to trim for top performance.

Finally WMD asked for a scan of the VIC SMEED PRETTY BABY plan now over sixty years old.

This was republished in the December 1996 issue.

The printing is not as sharp as it should be but it will be quite usable. I have scanned the construction article as well. No scale is given but the wingspan is 48” so you can blow it up to the correct size.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Apr 07, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:43 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
algy2- many thanks for the mini-SkyScooter, excellent find
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:10 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Thanks for the Pretty Baby scan Algy, that's great.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:30 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,249 Posts
Thanks again Algy. These little CO2 jobs fit my electric FF interests perfectly.

scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Hi,
To the April 1943 AEROMODELLER where the cover painting shows a WESTLAND WIDGEON somewhere over England. The plans could be found inside.

But first to a vintage rubber Wakefield “PEGASUS” by A. BURNS.

He set out to design a model that would be simple to build and rugged enough to handle the windy UK conditions and certainly succeeded with a good performance to match.

The plans were printed over two pages exactly as scanned and although the designer himself says it is not a “pretty” model I think it would look great flying past.

Next to a Silhouette MUSTANG. This is a semi scale profile rubber model that would build up into an attractive all sheet Mustang.

To the WESTLAND WIDGEON 111 a 1” to 1 foot scale rubber model by well known EDDIE..RIDING who also had an article on model photography in this issue.

It is a very attractive parasol monoplane and the history of the machine depicted is given.

Eddie said when in correct trim the model has a steady flat glide and is a fast flyer.

Finally turning to another very attractive vintage rubber model and the BABY LIGHTWEIGHT by L.E.W. BURBRIDGE .

Of just 22 inch wingspan it has lines very similar to PEGASUS and I guess could even be flown indoors.

Cheers

Algy
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
We go to the November 1993 with the cover showing many of the articles to be found in this issue of AEROMODELLER.

There were two full size free flight plans in the centre the first being WOODPECKER by STEPHEN SMITH.

This was a model for the popular KP01a electric power unit.

Stephen was inspired by the cabin sports designs of Vic Smeed and Paul Plecan when he came up with this little charmer.

Nothing difficult in the construction and it fly’s well to boot.

Next to OLYMPIAN another delightful model of 24 inch wingspan.

This shoulder wing is for rubber and the work of PETER SHEPPARD of WEST WINGS aimed at a one-design competition.

The comprehensive construction article gives all the information you need to build and fly and you have a choice of two different cockpit canopies.

Cheers

Algy
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,180 Posts
algy,
Thanks for that last post. Both the Woodpecker and the Olympian are models which have been flying around in the back of my mind for several years but I never had access to the plans. Thanks for fixing that.

BTW I've been following your thread since inception, thanks for all the work.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:10 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time the June 1997 AEROMODELLER.

On the cover is Claire Bliss admiring her father Michael's 10 inch wingspan miniature of Richard Korda’s 1939 Wakefield. Yes the plans were inside.

In fact it was the first feature article and plan.

Michael said it will do 90 secs indoors with more to come. Being such a small model a lot of “indoor expertise” is applied to the building and the article covers this in great detail. A fascinating little project.

Next to the semi scale LOCKHEED U-2 a simple to build profile 38 inch electric jet by RON BARDOFF.

It’s powered by a small Union electric ducted fan unit. I am not sure if these units are still available.

You get a construction details plus the plan.

Turning to a fascinating article by Doug McHard on his search for the ASTRAL kit of the VICKERS VIKING. It also comes with the rare plan. No scale is given but the wingspan is 30 inches so easy to scale up.

The centre pages had a gem of a full size scale peanut plan by LUBOMIR KOUTNY for the ZLIN Z-50M acrobatic aircraft that won a string of World Championships.

LUBOMIR is an acknowledged master of peanut designs and the ZLIN is no exception.
Even when carrying a lot of scale detail you will get 90secs.

Finally to two sport rubber models by MARK BEES. These are the ELF and the WIZARD.

The plans are full size and both are aimed at beginners to this field.

Chers
Last edited by algy2; Apr 13, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Many thanks for the Zlin Z50M! Thats one for the vault to be sure.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi.
This time to the July 1997 AEROMODELLER with the cover showing Air Training Corps Cadet Corporal Robert Croudace of 1811 (Marlow) Sqn preparing his rocket for launch.

The first article is part two of DOUG McHARD’S search for the elusive ASTRAL VIKING kit.

This time the master sets about building and along the way explains some of the secrets of constructing these old kits. All very good hard to find information.

Trimming of the twin rubber scale model presented unusual problems and Doug offers a possible solution..

One free flight plan in this issue and it was full size for the ELECTRIC RULER.

The ELECTRIC RULER as designed by PAUL McIIRATH is an all-foam mini electric powered version of HENRY STRUCK’S NEW RULER.

Of just 14 inch wingspan construction is quick and simple and it can be flown both in and outdoors.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Apr 13, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Hi.
This time to the July 1997 AEROMODELLER with the cover showing Air Training Corps Cadet Corporal Robert Croudace of 1811 (Marlow) Sqn preparing his rocket for launch.

The first article is part two of DOUG McHARD’S search for the elusive ASTRAL VIKING kit.

This time the master sets about building and along the way explains some of the secrets of constructing these old kits. All very good hard to find information.

Trimming of the twin rubber scale model presented unusual problems and Doug offers a possible solution..

One free flight plan in this issue and it was full size for the ELECTRIC RULER.

The ELECTRIC RULER as designed by PAUL McIIRATH is an all-foam mini electric powered version of HENRY STRUCK’S NEW RULER.

Of just 14 inch wingspan construction is quick and simple and it can be flown both in and outdoors.

Cheers

Algy
It would be nice to find the plan for the Viking. I checked Towner on the Hip Pocket Builders Forum and on Outerzone, and it isn't there.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:32 PM
The Swedish Yankee
West coast of Sweden
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Astral Viking

Hey Pete -
Here is the one Viking that I know of, posted over on the vintage plans forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6&postnum=3384

Same Plane but not the "Astral" plan.

Mr. Algy - I wanted to ask if you could rescan a plan for Me/us please?
You had posted the Austin Whippet plan from the August 1952 Aeromodeller way back in October of last year but the plan scanned is "rough on the eyes"... it's definitely build-able, just not readable.

If/when you get the chance - if you could rescan only the plan at 300dpi - I would be very grateful. Take your time of course - I am in no hurry.

Thank you all and have a great night folks,
Swankee
Swankee is offline Find More Posts by Swankee
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
It would be nice to find the plan for the Viking. I checked Towner on the Hip Pocket Builders Forum and on Outerzone, and it isn't there. Pete G.
Pete - if you look at the article that Algy has kindly posted (did I miss Part 1?), Doug McHard says:

" ...for many years I had wondered just how this unique CH Saunders designed twin stacked up against the other well known Astral twins, all of which were designed by H J Towner."

Did you specify Towner in your search?
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:06 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Austin Whippet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swankee View Post
Hey Pete -

Mr. Algy - I wanted to ask if you could rescan a plan for Me/us please?
You had posted the Austin Whippet plan from the August 1952 Aeromodeller way back in October of last year but the plan scanned is "rough on the eyes"... it's definitely build-able, just not readable.
Swankee,

I know you asked for a scan of the plan but I thought I'd leave you all with a memory of me - nothing drastic, just out on the bike around Germany for three weeks.

So the Whippet - a model designed at 1.1/2" to the foot (1/8th) and with a wing span of 32". A Mills 0.75 was used on the original and it is meant to have ideal flying characteristics, in fact recommended for the beginner to scale free flight.
It was designed by M. Garnet using the Aeromodeller GA drawings presented in 1946.

As always take care if you chose to build from the plan and if you would like the colour version please e-mail (although there will be a delay).

Most important is, of course, enjoy.

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal