SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:06 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
This time we look at the September 1957 AEROMODELLER with the cover illustration show the Junkers Ju.87D Stuka.

A full profile plus a rubber scale plan by the great J. McHARD were to be found inside

The STUKA plan, printed full size, was for a 17 inch wingspan model with the construction article giving full details on building and trimming.

This rubber model was actually a prototype for a later powered version but it flew so well that it was published in this edition.

Next was a contest winning glider from Finland by Iipo Haahtela. The elegant long nosed FINNAIR gained excellent results in the contests entered.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED once more by J. McHARD which concentrated on the JUNKERS 87 STUKA giving a history and scale drawings.

You will have all you need to turn the featured model into a masterpiece.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:06 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
We go to the September 1995 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover photos showing a Round The Pole Sunderland flying boat all the way from TASMANIA.

This was a bumber edition for Free Flight offerings the first of which was another great full size scale plan by the legendary DOUG McHARD.

Of eighteen inch wingspan it was a rubber powered PZL P8-11. Photos with the build article show the “authentic” Polish markings.

Next for fans of the Jenny Craig Ebenezer’s was the EBENEZER TIGER MOTH by GEORGE CARR from Wagga Wagga AUSTRALIA. This is for 0.5cc motors or I guess an electric unit could also be used. The accompanying article gives very detailed building and trimming advise.

Now for something completely different. The WBP-1 Flying Plank by Al BACKSTROM.

It’s a small scale rubber powered model that can be flown in or outdoors. With a 5 1/2 inch North Pacific plastic prop.

Finally to the full size plan for B. MALLETT’S SKY ROVER a 14” wingspan hand launched or catapult gilder. A few hours work with a balsa knife, glue and sandpaper will have you in the air.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:10 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,079 Posts
algy-- I got a bit excited for a moment there thinking there were Snipe plans. What a treasure you have there!

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

This is the December 1960 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover painting by KEN McDONOUGH showing a flight of 611 squadron breaking for descent over their base at Biggin Hill.

There were two free lift out centre plans in this issue, but as is often the case when bought years later, they have long gone.

But there was a superb one- eighth scale free flight plan for the PFALZ D111 a WW1 fighter biplane with a very detailed build article.

Designed by F. PALMER it was developed for pendulum control with full safety features including sprung landing gear, knock off wings. Fully planked fuselage, spruce, balsa and silk construction.

A gem for the connoisseur. Just enlarge the plan by eight, print and away you go.

Finally there were two contest free flight power designs from the World Championships with one being the TEXAN FAI-TON by ED MILLER.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Nov 15, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:13 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,166 Posts
That Pfalz is a beauty. Fantastic plan.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:39 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
It’s to the AEROMODELLER June 1996 issue we go this time with the cover photo showing an electric version of H.J.TOWNER’S free flight model the KESTRAL originally for rubber power. A full article on how it was done could be found inside.

The first full size plan was for RED ARROW by BRIAN FAULKNER a simple hand launched glider.

Next was an absolutely delightful small power free flight model in the form of AZBUG.

This is a half sized version of the popular larger 1937 design.

The plan was by DAVID BANKS recreating the modelling nostalgia of his childhood.

Lastly was FALCON a 24 3/4 inch wingspan simple beginners rubber model.

There seems to be interest developing again in rubber power and this is the ideal introduction to the craft.

It is even designed for a plastic propeller. Carving a balsa prop seems to frighten of a lot of people when it comes to rubber power but it's actually very simple once you get started.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:13 PM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,038 Posts
Thanks Algy for your continued efforts. Any chance of the article that would have accompanied the old APS 44" free flight Tiger Moth? This was published in Aeromodeller October 54.

Loving the plans - thanks again.

Simon.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:13 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,289 Posts
Algy2,

Anything in that issue on the Miles Kestrel?

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:46 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Old aeromodelling magazines and plans source

I have come across a web site that can help in many ways with us guys who are interested in proper aeromodelling! It is at www.aeromodellinginfo.co.uk. There is a vast amount of information on this site!
Deadkeen is offline Find More Posts by Deadkeen
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:59 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadkeen View Post
I have come across a web site that can help in many ways with us guys who are interested in proper aeromodelling! It is at www.aeromodellinginfo.co.uk. There is a vast amount of information on this site!
Hey DEADKEEN; your link doesnt seem to work. Is it correct?

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:02 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Hi,
This time to the January 1984 AEROMODELLER with the cover photo showing “Australian free flight action” as Dick Johnson launches his free flight model in the World Championships Goulburn Australia.

First featured free flight plan was for the CABARET STAR by MARK GROOMES for Open Rubber..

It’s an impressive performer with a great glide. From eight fly offs it won four and placed third in two.

Next for something special in the way of full size scale free flight plans for the DE HAVILLAND 60 CIRRUS MOTH.

This was designed by JOHN WATTERS who was very active in scale free flight at the time.

It is based on the aeroplane in the Shuttleworth Trust Collection and has been kept as true to scale as possible. The construction article gives you all you need for building and trimming.

Next to “A2 GLIDER” an A2 Glider by JOHN COOPER.

Finally another great scale plan but this time a peanut model by David Diels.

It is the little known FAIREY FULMAR an up-to-date fleet fighter built to Royal Navy specifications.

Cheers

Algy
ALGY; thanks for the Cirrus Moth plan. Cant wait to get home to get started. I think a small electric or my PAW .8 - cant decide yet. Micro Radio as well to keep it in the field!

Cheers

Mark.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:12 AM
Vertically Challenged...
Ash Vale Hampshire UK
Joined Jul 2004
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Winstanley View Post
Hey DEADKEEN; your link doesnt seem to work. Is it correct?

Mark.
http://www.aeromodellerinfo.co.uk/

Could be this..
Cody's Neighbour is offline Find More Posts by Cody's Neighbour
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:09 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody's Neighbour View Post
That works - Cheers

Mark.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:05 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight scans

Hi.
We go this time to the OCTOBER 1954 issue of AEROMODELLER following a mention by Simon for a scan of the build article of the DH 82 TIGER MOTH.

This particular rendition, in model form, of a perennial favourite, was designed by the AEROMODELLER STAFF but based on the classic large rubber version by RUPERT MOORE.

It is incredibly stable and will fly circles around you at shoulder height all day long.

I have scanned both the build article and plan.

Next was a multi-wing ornithopter, the DRAGONFLY, by J.WHITE.

This truly is a fascinating form of free flight and the DRAGONFLY claimed a new British record at the time with a flight of 1.55 . The use of two extra wings solved a number of issues over the single flapping wing designs.

Finally to FRIED FRITTER by TOM SMITH a very unusual contest free flight design that was two years in development.

It was rated as Britain’s most outstanding open-power design to that date.

Mark good to see you plan to build the scale DE HAVILLAND 60 CIRRUS MOTH by JOHN WATTERS it will look a treat stooging about with a baby diesel gurgling away.

From memory AEROMODELLER published two other great full size scale free flight designs by JOHN WATTERS and I shall post them at a later date.

I could not include a scan of the cover of this issue as my copy does not have one.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Nov 18, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:54 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
568 Posts
ALGY2; great work with the latest post. I have printed out the TIGGIE and now have way too many projects. I had this plan in my youth (still have it actually but now it is torn and discoloured and even the celotape has given up!) and now have a replacement. (BTW 1954 was my birth year so I have great affection for anything that is as old as I am!!).

I remember a chap (Malcom Brewer??) in the Heswall Model Aircraft Club (HMAC - now the Deeside MAC) building a beautiful version based on this plan and installed the latest (at the time) Futaba 4 channel radio in it. I cannot remember if it flew though. That would have been towards the end of the 60s I think.

A couple of years ago I designed a Thruxton Jackeroo at about the same scale (that is it in my avatar) - they would look great side by side.

Keep up the great work.

Mark Winstanley