Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:17 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,817 Posts
Discussion
A few F/F plans added....

I've just received 4 'vintage' plans of old Swedish rubber models:

Spitfire Mk 19
(Swedish Airforce designation S-31) Drawn by Björn Karlström, once kitted by "Semo". Scale 1:20
Span: 22"

Boeing L-15.
Drawn by Björn Karlström, once kitted by "Semo". Scale 1:20
Span: 24"

Pedro
Nice "sports" low-winger, once kitted by "Modell-Sport"
Span: 18"

Pirat
Simple sheet built beginner's model, once kitted by "Modell-Sport"
Span: 15"

All 4 are designed/introduced in the late 40's.
I'm very pleased to have come across these plans...they are not too easy to locate these days....

Thought I'd just show them here.....sorry I have no facilities to scan the plans. In the case of interest, paper copies could be arranged though (some patience required...)

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Nov 04, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:45 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
The 1954 AEROMODELLER with the cover photo showing the unmistakable shap of the prototype Avro 698 VULCAN.

There were four great free flight Plans in this issue the first being ACHILLES by EMIL FRESL.

This was contest power model from Yugoslavia with an impressive three year record of contest placings behind it.

Construction is robust and practical and it features a novel tip dethermaliser arrangement.

Next was a new Vic Smeed design the SEA NYMPTH.

It was a very nice looking flying boat for small capacity motors. And Vic says it can be built in twelve hours. Full construction and trimming advice is given.

To flying scale free flight and the fabulous FOKKER D. V111 by RON MULTON.

It had a twenty two inch wingspan and was for motors of about .5cc. The plan was printed full size.

Ron said it was strictly for fun flying and readily spirals and cavorts about the sky with a E.D.Diesel at full revs.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
182 Posts
Plans added

Hi Gluehand

Really like the

Boeing L-15.
Drawn by Björn Karlström, once kitted by "Semo". Scale 1:20
Span: 24"

Pedro
Nice "sports" low-winger, once kitted by "Modell-Sport"
Span: 18"

I'll have too try and track down copys of those two for my collection. send me your e-mail in a P/M and i'll send a couple I just finished cleaning up

Larry
Ratracer is offline Find More Posts by Ratracer
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:41 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,817 Posts
PM sent, Larry....

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Nov 05, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To the September 1993 AEROMODELLER for two more free flight plans, both full size.

The cover photo shows Colin Essex with a delightful rubber powered Bristol Fighter.

The first full size free F/F plan was for the “Little” MONSTER by DAVE BANKS.

It was a half size version of an old favourite for a baby motor or one of the many electric units now available. It performs just as well as it’s bigger brother.

Next was a profile rubber scale SE5a by the well known TREVOUR FAULKNER.

Aimed at the indoor flyer full construction and trimming details are given.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:47 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To plans from two 1977 Aeromodellers, November and May.
The cover photo of the November issue shows Ron Brandt and Henri Boror firing up their racer in the Belgium hosted C/L Championships.

The first feature was for two plans in one by MARTYN COWLEY . They were HOT RATS and HOT RITZ a pair of top class FAI power designs.

The accompany article gives the full development story, construction details and trimming advice.

Next was the full page plans for PT-108 a neat little sport CO2 design by JACK HEADLY.

CO2 engines are no longer easily available (try EBay) but there is still a large number of modellers around the world dabbling in this fascinating, if at times frustrating form of motive power.

To May 1977 and the cover photo shows Alan Palfrey with his Bristol Bullet and 1910 Herriot Monoplane competing in the All Scale Rally at Old Warden.

Full size plans were again to be found inside for yet another CO2 model.

This time the duration styled SPARROW by IAN DOWSET. The all-sheet construction provides for quick and easy assembly.

Ian advises to not forget the D/T as he lost his first model OOS after a seven minute flight.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:33 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time to the January 1984 AEROMODELLER with the cover photo showing “Australian free flight action” as Dick Johnson launches his free flight model in the World Championships Goulburn Australia.

First featured free flight plan was for the CABARET STAR by MARK GROOMES for Open Rubber..

It’s an impressive performer with a great glide. From eight fly offs it won four and placed third in two.

Next for something special in the way of full size scale free flight plans for the DE HAVILLAND 60 CIRRUS MOTH.

This was designed by JOHN WATTERS who was very active in scale free flight at the time.

It is based on the aeroplane in the Shuttleworth Trust Collection and has been kept as true to scale as possible. The construction article gives you all you need for building and trimming.

Next to “A2 GLIDER” an A2 Glider by JOHN COOPER.

Finally another great scale plan but this time a peanut model by David Diels.

It is the little known FAIREY FULMAR an up-to-date fleet fighter built to Royal Navy specifications.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:08 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time to AEROMODELLER JULY 1957 for more free flight plans.

The dramatic cover painting shows a Sopwith Snipe in action on the Western Front during WW1

The first build article and plan was for the CESSNA 172. Designed by PETER HOLLAND is a big model scale model with a wingspan of 72 inches and although first flown as free flight it lends itself readily radio control.

The plan gives lots of constructional and scale detail even down to the pilots and passenger seats.

Centre page was a simple catapult or Jetex 50 powered glider. POGO is full sized and would go together very quickly.

Next to a very nice looking Nordic A/1 glider by J. RODERICK “HATCHETMAN”

This is the third in a series that was developed to give a sturdy quick-to-build model with a good performance.

Finally to a very intriguing free flight layout with STAR DUST by W. HART.

This is a swept-forward wing design for 1cc to 1,5cc motors . The build article gives the reason behind the swept wing configuration and unusual airfoil section. All with the aim of greater stability.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 09, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To the June 1994 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover layout showing just what was to be found in this issue.

This included two full size plans.

The MILES M35 LIBELLULA was the first of these. GORDEN RAE came up with a great scale duel purpose all sheet profile rendition

At 9 ½ inch wingspan it can be flown as glider or rubber powered. A lot of fun for very little effort.

Next we go to some where down under for something that goes backwards.

It’s HEATHERS BROOMSTICK developed by BILL AND HEATHER THOMAS a rubber powered 30 inch wingspan canard.

It is also legal for P30 and CDH competitions. There is a full build article and advise on trimming. Because it is a Canard most of the trimming procedures are in reverse. Sure to turn heads at the local flying field.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:50 PM
Joined Jul 2009
76 Posts
Algy2, thank you very much for posting that C-172 plan. I've known about that model, but didn't have access to an electronic version of the plan/article.
Cheers!

Dave
IndoorFlyerABQ is offline Find More Posts by IndoorFlyerABQ
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Hi Dave,
Glad to be of help. It certainly is a large model for scale free flight or will you go with radio control?

It would be nice to see a build thread. I scan all these plans, if they are not full size, at a higher resolution so just enlarge them by the scale given on the plan. Print of and start building. Though I prefere to go to a professional copy/print place here and get them to print of two copies. One to build from and the other to go in the files.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:02 AM
Joined Jul 2009
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Hi Dave,
Glad to be of help. It certainly is a large model for scale free flight or will you go with radio control?
Actually, I've been "studying" several C-172 plans, including the ones by Sig, Veron and Berkeley, plus the general arrangement drawings by James Triggs. Ultimately, I want to end up with a realistic square tail version of the 23" Veron plan...

BTW, I got a big kick out of the "private pilot" outlined in the Aeromodeler plan, smoking a cigarette!!
IndoorFlyerABQ is offline Find More Posts by IndoorFlyerABQ
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:34 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,268 Posts
And although I know some will regard this as sacrilege I've recently built a FF Miles M35 from that plan...but made it of Depron and with an electric motor from a Palm-Z. It flies very nicely.

I can't resist odd looking planes like that...next on the list is a Westland Wendover .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:36 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Depron?? Electric motors??

You doth sup with the devil.

I will have no truck with the black arts.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time going to the January 1989 AEROMODELLER.

The cover photo showed a historic nine foot free flight model from 1934. Designed by R. SPENCER it was the SPENCER ORIAN powered by a 14.5 cc improved Atom Minor. It was also the subject of a full article inside.

As usual there was a great range of interesting topics to be found in this issue and one superb full size scale free flight plan.

This was DAVE CAUSER’S NIEUPORT11 for CO2 or electric power.

The NIEUPORT was a French WW1 biplane also used by the British, Italians, Russian and American air forces. It did have one unfortunate habit though, that of losing it’s lower wings.

Next. for historical interest ,I have included a scan of one page of a five sheet plan for the model on the cover the ORION VINTAGE BIPLANE.

Cheers

Algy