HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:26 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Discussion
X-20 Dyna soar rebuild with full fuse..

I'm re-working my profile X-20 rocket glider to have a simple fuse shape to give it a bit more scale shape. I'll post photos as I go along and eventually update the plans. I adjusted the fuse profile a bit, you could build it as pure profile or add the side/top pieces.

I did wind up adding two carbon strips to the wing sides to help with flex on landing if you come in tail first, I felt there was a bit too much and it might crack on a hard pitch up tail first landing. It is now pretty stiff. The fuse pieces fit pretty well as cut, just minor trimming for each side as needed.

I finished the frame up and rough sanding, and did a gob of inside the house test glides to get the CG range, and double checked with my cg calculator and a couple of older threads on deltas, in addition to my profile version. I found with the full fuse that the CG was about 1/4" rear of the simple profile version. It was a bit more back than I had calculated but my test glides with a 20 degree nose up mush push glide produced the desired pitch over at the rearward CG.

I did two test flights this morning, using 3/4" up trim for post boost glide to compensate for the nose heavy condition. This was my first time launching by myself so I had to hold the battery and ignition wires in my left hand, cradle the radio and get on the sticks quickly I learned an important lesson doing this, on a cold day, do not stand directly behind the model, as it pitched forward and stayed in the exhaust plume the entire way up and I couldn't see it till it burned out. That was a bit exciting. It was rolling slightly and nose down and I hit the flap switch and it settled into a very nice glide and flare.

I gave a bit more glide up trim and a few clicks of aileron trim and tried a second launch this time from the side. Boost was better, but it still wanted to pitch over so I had to keep giving up elevator blips to keep it vertical. I've since programmed in 1/4" of up trim for boost. This time I hit the post boost trim and it was perfect, very gentle glide, and very easy flare. I'm now ready to do some finish sanding and paint it black. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out so far.

I was able to finish paintiing and used a silver sharpie to make the panel lines, and it turned out ok. Rain never showed up so we got in a perfect flight on video. Boost trim was right on with just a bit of roll trim needed, and glide was very easy.

Video now at:

X-20 Dyna-Soar rocket boosted RC glider (1 min 41 sec)

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Oct 19, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:58 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
553 Posts
OH I can't wait to see this....
seojeff is online now Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:24 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Followed your builds for a year or so now. Used your plans too. Perfect.

This Dyna Soar was so cool

Well done. A true inspiration

I've been trying to get hold of some good plans to build a depron Shuttle with the idea to launch and glide. I'm not clever enough to get my own design on the Shuttle with a full fuz.

I did try the plan from RC Powers but I had little success with it TBH. Good plan but didn't work for me unfortunately.

Could we persuade you to make one Frank ?? The Dyna's good for now though

Also the use of the cat scratch post seems to be a popular stand for photographing our models

Noel
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Last edited by soundcheque; Nov 06, 2011 at 10:36 PM.