Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:38 PM
Falcon
United Arab Emirates, Dubai, Dubai
Joined Mar 2011
10 Posts
Discussion
Gas Engine: Breaking in and Tuning

Hi floks,
I have been searcing on this topic for several days but unfortunately could not get the required and to the point information. I really appreciate if you can share your experiances which will help myself and lot other beginners.

Questions:
1 - How long normally the breakin process takes and how we know that the engie is now fully broken? I have seen few guys writing that they have already fired 3 gallons of fuel but still breaking in .....

2 - How to tune the gas engine? What makes you decide that now LOW end needle needs to be adjusted or HIGH end needle?

3 - How much engine temprature is expected? Is it normal to have temprature going high on new engines vs the ones which are fully broken? My brand new DLE-30 engine was giving me a reading upto 160 C (320 F) during the flight (checked on my Spektrum DX8 with its telemetry system)

4 - I have used fuel with 1:30 using Makita 2 stroke synthetic oil. Is it recommended to increase the ratio (1:40 - 1:50) after breaking in and will it require to tune again if oil mixture ratio has been changed?
noaman is offline Find More Posts by noaman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:51 PM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
Look for the Sticky under "Engines."
Jake
Sonsight is online now Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:33 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
On a DLE 30 you need to stick to 32 to 1
The DLE 30 needs a long break in.
When tuning the DLE I start at 1 1/2 on both needles.
Warm your engine up then at full throttle lean the HS out very slowly then go to and idle and lean the LS needle out.
Then go from Idle to full throttle if it wants to die richen the ls up if it sputters then lean it.
On a gasoline engine only go a screwdriver blade width at a time.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 05, 2011, 01:57 PM
Falcon
United Arab Emirates, Dubai, Dubai
Joined Mar 2011
10 Posts
@kerwin50 - how long the break in will be? How do i know that now its fully broken?
noaman is offline Find More Posts by noaman
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:08 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
It will have a lower idle.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:46 PM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsight View Post
Look for the Sticky under "Engines."
Jake
Brand new to gas engines here. So you are saying to tune a gas engine the same way you do a glow? I ask because there is nothing specific to gas engines provided in that sticky.
ACKopter is offline Find More Posts by ACKopter
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:45 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,222 Posts
here's how I do it now.....let the engine warm up....go to full throttle and adjust the high end to peak.....now retard to idle and let the engine cool a bit...now advance the throttle so that you're turning between 2500 and 3000 RPM...and adjut the low to peak...
check the high end again.....shut it down and let it cool.....start it up after it cools down and after a very brief idle open it to full...the engine should advance to power with out much of a load up issue....go fly and make small adjustments based on what you see and hear.....
Break in on a gasser is in the gallons range 1 to 3 longer if you break in using synthetic oil....I break in at 32:1 using Lawn Boy ashless....then I peak out at 40:1 using Red Line synthetic oil and leave it there...
Yes you an go leaner but why....never heard of an engine being ruined by too much oil
Good Luck
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:01 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Gas is the way to go. I only touch my needles twice a year, when it gets cold and when it gets hot.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:13 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
Gas is the way to go. I only touch my needles twice a year, when it gets cold and when it gets hot.
You live in Vegas. Don't you mean "When it's hot" and "When it's unbearable"?

I miss LV. Used to live on the west side by Red Rock.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28