HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:47 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,295 Posts
I went looking into the DA 35 and what I found was it was supposed to be released fall 2012. Well that didn't happen so then I found a post on another site saying probably in the spring.
Although I'm pretty good at fixing new things before they can be used I'd rather not have to. The DA really appeals to me. I just hope it's out by the time the MXS stock gets here in the spring. not being more than $400-$450 would also be good
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:47 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw357_23043 View Post
You really got that servo price low! Mine was a total of $446 with 5955TG on rudder/ail and 5245 on the elevator. Maybe I went a bit overboard! Anyway, why the 215kv? I have the 310kv and it's way more than enough on 8s.
I think the EF website said something about 88 oz-in mini’s and since Savox is light in this range, the Hitec HS-7245MH seemed right, and $69.99. I used to go to Hitec when I wanted to keep the price down so it was just old habits kicking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DeltaFly View Post
The A60-7S is for a 10S setup, thus the 215kv I'll be using this same setup in a 74" Edge
Yep! As for the Hacker motor, I was looking at the 10S setup for two reasons. First, a club buddy has the 10S setup in his 3DHS 72 inch 330SC and it I like the way it performs. I also like the flight time he is getting at 65 to 68 Amps. Seconds, I have a boatload of 5S 5000’s now for the Q80-7M and the A60-16M and I’d probably not get another plane that needs 4S batteries bigger than the 2650’s I have for the 48 EXPs. If I were to go to the 8S for some reason, I would go with the DM4330-255 with the same 20x10 prop, but that would mean around 92A, so a 100A ESC and less flight time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Found that AMA recommends getting below .75 Mach to keep noise down. I also found that full size props are most efficient between 70-75% of Mach. So that seems a good starting point for efficiency.
Good stuff that I didn't know. Thanks!
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:56 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
I went looking into the DA 35 and what I found was it was supposed to be released fall 2012. Well that didn't happen so then I found a post on another site saying probably in the spring.
Although I'm pretty good at fixing new things before they can be used I'd rather not have to. The DA really appeals to me. I just hope it's out by the time the MXS stock gets here in the spring. not being more than $400-$450 would also be good
Waiting is always a good thing in this hobby. God bless the guys like Chris Hinson who don't kick a product out the door and make us beta test it for them. I'm sure it's less headaches for the company to know that they are not creating a customer service nightmare. The wait means they are working things out that we won't have to.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:00 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
4,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Good stuff that I didn't know. Thanks!
Your joshin me right No don't tell me!
I like thinking I've contributed something back.Although I'd be a lost puppy without Google. Me and a billion other people
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
4,295 Posts
Quote:
Waiting is always a good thing in this hobby. God bless the guys like Chris Hinson who don't kick a product out the door and make us beta test it for them. I'm sure it's less headaches for the company to know that they are not creating a customer service nightmare. The wait means they are working things out that we won't have to.
Good things come to those that wait and I'm patiently waiting for my new 78" MXS.

Quote:
I'm sure the ES30G CF tuned pipe should keep the engine noise down
I had to post this just to say;
Oooo Tuned pipe... I like tuned pipes. and DA 35 yep, I think this is going to eat up that 2K no problem
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:22 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Yep! As for the Hacker motor, I was looking at the 10S setup for two reasons. First, a club buddy has the 10S setup in his 3DHS 72 inch 330SC and it I like the way it performs. I also like the flight time he is getting at 65 to 68 Amps. Seconds, I have a boatload of 5S 5000ís now for the Q80-7M and the A60-16M and Iíd probably not get another plane that needs 4S batteries bigger than the 2650ís I have for the 48 EXPs. If I were to go to the 8S for some reason, I would go with the DM4330-255 with the same 20x10 prop, but that would mean around 92A, so a 100A ESC and less flight time.

Makes sense
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,112 Posts
The 75% actually make a lot of sense to me now because I have heard the ripping from props and engines that I know could not possibly be spinning that fast. Here's an example... My friend Maynard can make anything go faster if you give him a weekend, and that includes anything from full scale cars, to boats, to RC airplanes. He brings his radar gun to the field occasionally, so we can all see just how fast some of the planes set up for speed are really going. For fun, we clocked the trainer I learned on... a 70 inch Goldberg Senior Falcon, that I converted to a taildragger with 3 inch wheels and big white wheelpants, took half the dihedral out of the main wing, and put an OS 55 AX on it with a 12x8 Master Airscrew. It clocked 110 mph out of a dive, and the prop would rip on the pass.

A 12x8 going 110 mph means an RPM of about 14,500. If you check the tip speed of the prop, you should get about 518 mph, which is ~68% of the SOS. The 12 inch prop would need to turn 21,500 RPMs to break the sound barrier, but the ripping was LOUD and we all commented on it.

This can also explain why a 32 inch prop spinning 6000 RPMs will start to rip too. That's 571 mph, or 75% of the SOS.

So knowing the noise can start to kick in below the SOS means that all is right in the universe for at least tonight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:18 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
4,295 Posts
Quote:
For fun, we clocked the trainer I learned on... a 70 inch Goldberg Senior Falcon, that I converted to a taildragger with 3 inch wheels and big white wheelpants, took half the dihedral out of the main wing, and put an OS 55 AX on it with a 12x8 Master Airscrew. It clocked 110 mph out of a dive, and the prop would rip on the pass.So knowing the noise can start to kick in below the SOS means that all is right in the universe for at least tonight.
A Senior Falcon My second year at this in 1991 I acquired a Goldberg Senior Falcon that a buddy had crashed and I rebuilt it. It has flaps & barn door style ailerons. The wing dihedral was altered by the previous owner. It still had a some but not as much as it did originally. I put a Super Tiger 61 on it with a 12x6(?) I'll check that when I get home. It's still has the prop that it last flew with on it. I flew it with a Futaba 7UAF I flew that plane for 10 years. It was fast but I'm sure it never went that fast.

Now I got a used ARF made by Yoshioka Models Factory called Liberty 25 from the same guy actually but not crashed. I put an OS-32 & tuned pipe on it and on radar it was clocked at 118 and 121 on up and down wind legs in level flight. With an 8x8 prop it turned 16,500rpms.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:16 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
7245 vs 5245

Upgraded the Extra to all 7245s.

So much faster than the 5245s it's unreal. I got lazy and left a 5245 in the Rudder and it's nowhere near the quickness of the 7245s on 6v.

Considering the price drop recently on these servos it's almost a no brainer.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:20 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,112 Posts
It was a few years ago, maybe three, but I did find some pictures. I still have it but I don't think I bought glow fuel in about as long. That OS 55 is the last glow engine too. Sold all the rest. My favorites were the 55 and 4-stroke 91, and the Saito 82 and 125 were great engines too. I still haven't found a small gas engine I can warm up to as much, but Tom flew an AW 74 inch Extra 300 with a GT33 and it was all the power you could ask for on a 10.5 to 11 pound airframe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:26 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
Upgraded the Extra to all 7245s.

So much faster than the 5245s it's unreal. I got lazy and left a 5245 in the Rudder and it's nowhere near the quickness of the 7245s on 6v.

Considering the price drop recently on these servos it's almost a no brainer.
Wow... another $10 drop. I guess that ends the debate on 88 oz-in servo sizes unless Savox comes up with something. I just know too many guys that have a problem buying a Hitec servo that starts with HS-7-anything. I'm pretty sure that Frank is one of them. But as a price hound, I'm wondering what the Tower price would be if I bought 5 of these... probably something like $280 with free shipping, no?

That would bring the 70 EXP to about $1,173.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:17 AM
Shut up and Fly!!!
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Wow... another $10 drop. I guess that ends the debate on 88 oz-in servo sizes unless Savox comes up with something. I just know too many guys that have a problem buying a Hitec servo that starts with HS-7-anything. I'm pretty sure that Frank is one of them. But as a price hound, I'm wondering what the Tower price would be if I bought 5 of these... probably something like $280 with free shipping, no?

That would bring the 70 EXP to about $1,173.
I did another compilation of prices for a good budget build of $979.71 using the following:

Here's a build list I compiled using quality stuff on a low budget:

1x 70" Extra EXP 389.95+shipping
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/70extra.html

5x Hitec645 $159.95
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ89#tech

4x 1.5 servo arms $7.84
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._M2_Hitec.html

1x3" servo arm for rudder $7.99
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...itec_Red_.html

4x 24" Servo ext
$10

1x Spektrum 7010 receiver (granted you have Spektrum) $89.99
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/a-SPMAR7010

1x100amp ESC $84.01
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ESC_Ver4_.html

1x Life receiver battery $34.99

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYAS9&P=ML

1xMotrofly DM4325-340kv $169.95
http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html

1xprop and spinner of your choice $25

Very doable using a fair amount of quality parts!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:47 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,112 Posts
I actually have no fewer than 5 HS-645's sitting in my parts draw, but if I'm not mistaken, they are fairly big, heavy, slow, analogs, but real workhorses. I kept them around in case I ever decided to build a warbird in my old age... which is rapidly approaching. It would be a big savings, but not the right speed for what I would want to do in that plane.

The Motrolfly motor is only $20 less but an 8S motor at the most. It would cost me a lot more if I had to buy the appropriate 4S or 6S batteries. Add $20.00

As far as Rx batteries, if I was to not go HV with the servos, I would just get a 2S pack from EP Buddy for $27 because it's less expensive and uses 'real' A123 cells. So that saves $8.00

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=335

On 10S, besides not spending money on batteries, I can also go with an 80A ESC because I may never see 70A in the 10S setup, so I can still go with a ZTW, for example, at only $49. Save $35.00

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brush...-esc-w-4a-sbec

Or go with the new Land version and use the internal BEC and bypass the Rx battery expense too: Save $54 instead of the $35

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brush...ustable-sbec-1

So that means you can save another $42 total, so far. But Iím not sure how you can get the 70 deliver for free. My understanding is that shipping to me in Florida is about $65.

And I wish I could use the 645ís but Iím not sure they will fit either because the website calls for miniís. But, I think weíre getting closer to a realistic assembly for right around $1,000. Let me see if I can rework the list with some of these suggestions. Keep them coming!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:01 AM
Shut up and Fly!!!
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
I actually have no fewer than 5 HS-645's sitting in my parts draw, but if I'm not mistaken, they are fairly big, heavy, slow, analogs, but real workhorses. I kept them around in case I ever decided to build a warbird in my old age... which is rapidly approaching. It would be a big savings, but not the right speed for what I would want to do in that plane.

The Motrolfly motor is only $20 less but an 8S motor at the most. It would cost me a lot more if I had to buy the appropriate 4S or 6S batteries. Add $20.00

As far as Rx batteries, if I was to not go HV with the servos, I would just get a 2S pack from EP Buddy for $27 because it's less expensive and uses 'real' A123 cells. So that saves $8.00

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=335

On 10S, besides not spending money on batteries, I can also go with an 80A ESC because I may never see 70A in the 10S setup, so I can still go with a ZTW, for example, at only $49. Save $35.00

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brush...-esc-w-4a-sbec

Or go with the new Land version and use the internal BEC and bypass the Rx battery expense too: Save $54 instead of the $35

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brush...ustable-sbec-1

So that means you can save another $42 total, so far. But I’m not sure how you can get the 70 deliver for free. My understanding is that shipping to me in Florida is about $65.

And I wish I could use the 645’s but I’m not sure they will fit either because the website calls for mini’s. But, I think we’re getting closer to a realistic assembly for right around $1,000. Let me see if I can rework the list with some of these suggestions. Keep them coming!!
I could get the servo ext for less than a dollar each so that would bring it down further. Say around $1 each. Yes, I agree that the 645s are bigger however not by much in relation to let's say the 5245's or the 5955's. Some trimming would be needed but for the budget builder in mind it can be done. I would. They are slow however I do think someone wanting to do mild 3d could get away with it.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:20 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,112 Posts
I would probably try them on the rudder maybe. I had them in an old H9 Frenzy that's still on the garage rack. If nothing else, that would save $30 off the total and save me $70 since I have bunch of them already. Then the HK servo arms means a saving of $14.69, and the extensions would save another $17.48. This brings the total to $1,055.41 including the $64.83 for shipping. I wonder if I have the stones to put the Orange Rx in this thing. With one satellite, that would save another $31.78. I think that would bring the total to under $1,100 depending on the Tower discount for the servos.
RCG Plus Member