SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:48 PM
USA, WA, Redmond
Joined Aug 2010
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Lee, I had to zoom in on my phone... but is your avatar Rob Holland's MXS-R?

--Tom K.
Good eye Tom. Why yes it is.
leespaddock is offline Find More Posts by leespaddock
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:56 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leespaddock View Post
Wow! This is nice & easy to play with. Great work Jim.
Thanks, Lee. It really turned out better since the first screen I deployed and the only thing I still need to do is change the consumption to a percent value and perhaps add the minimum battery C rating. This really connects everything with only a few input requirements. Some guys may find their metered volts to be a little higher, but only for a few seconds of a full charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Skjoling View Post
Rhino 3-cell2250mah 40c
Nano-tech 4-cell 1600mah 25-50c
Volt-on Polyquest 4-cell 2200mah 20-30c
Volt-on Polyquest 3-cell 1800mah 20-30c

so that leaves me with what to do if I want a 60" extremeflight Edge?? or a 48" Edge
I absolutely think you picked the right plane... EF 60 Edge 540T EXP... As for these batteries, the capacity is rather low for any option except making a 4-pack out of the 3-cell 1800mah (2 in parallel, and 2 in series) to get a 6S 3600mAh pack. But 20C is going to be cutting it close.

There are a few guys flying the 60 Edge on 8S too, and loving it, so a 4-pack of the 4S 1600mAh batteries could be good at 8S and 3200mAh, and 25C should be okay, if it's a real value. But you will need a High Volt ESC for that and ZTW should have what you need. We're actually using the HK 100A HV Superbrain on the 60 Edge and it's been great, but it's also $100 so it's not your typical cheap HK ESC. It's good from 6 to 12 cells.

In each case, you may be carrying more weight, so try to keep it in the 5.5 pounds range ... 2.5kg

Jim
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:04 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,877 Posts
Here's the latest from Tom with the EF Edge 540 60 inch with the Motrolfly DM4315-480 motor on a 6S 3300mAh Sky Lipo with A 16X8 Xoar PJN.

Tom Kitt - Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP__First Flight In A While (5 min 2 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,685 Posts
On the 60" edge are you guys using the longest dubro arm all the way around or could I use the next longest for the ailerons? Also is Tom's PJN a electric spacific prop... The LHS has a 16x8 PJN in black which I think will look good. It however doesn't specify whether it's gas or elec.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:49 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,877 Posts
PJN is the electric Xoar prop, and it will say PJN on the hub. We use Savox servos and are using the stock arms, and the outer-most hole, which is about 22mm or 7/8th of an inch out from the screw. That's on all control surfaces.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:25 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,877 Posts
Is that four tumbles at 50 seconds? Maybe three and a half. Can't make it out on youtube.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for answering
I am almost certain that I will choose a Extreme Flight 60" Edge airframe

If I say money no problem, would it be ok to go with a Hacker motor, and Castle Creations Phoenix ICE or ICE2 HV esc,
would that be a great combination, or should I really strive to order a Motrolfly 4315 motor
from Ken at Subsonic and a different ESC than Castle?

If I can find a source for Gens Ace Lipo batterys(Giantshark is not shipping overseas it seems :-/ ),
is it ok with 6cell 3300mah 25c ? or should it at least be 30c?
If I go for Gens Ace lipos.. theese are quality long lasting batterys that will survive even hard 3D at least for a year as a minimum right?(hope so)

Which esc is recommended in either case(if not concerned with the money in this case)? Also I would like 6volts or more to my servos.

Also do you have experience or info about this esc? is it any good?
http://www.arrowindhobby.com/hobby/en/esc-aircraft.asp

I sort of had this setup in mind when choosing first tme:
1 Extreme flight 60" EXP Edge (r,w,b)
1 Hacker A50-14XS V2
1 Castle Creations Phoenix ICE2 HV 80A 50V or a Castle Phoenix Ice 75A 33.6V
4 Hitec 5245MG
Was also planning to use Turnigy Nanotech 6cell 3300mah Lipos

But I am a bit uncertain that it will be the best setup what about weight to have the absolute best and most fun 3D setup?

Thanks in advance
R.SKjoling
R.Skjoling is offline Find More Posts by R.Skjoling
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Got my hobby lobby eco escs on Friday. These are supposedly the ztw reva's. They cane with deans and 4mm plugs, both I don't use but I want to know how these are going to be from a throttle response
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:28 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,760 Posts
R.SKjoling,

If money is no object then that looks like a good set up but if it were me with the Hcker I'd go for a 5s battery. The Hacker kv (564kv) is a bit high for 6s which would mean that you would probably have to run a 14" prop to stay within the 70A limit. On 5s you could run a 15" or possibly 16" safely.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
hey thanks, Steve
ok scratch that.. lol

Please recommend me the perfekt setup ? and I will think about it..
except the airframe which I have decided for to be a Extreme Flight 60" Edge..
R.Skjoling is offline Find More Posts by R.Skjoling
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:26 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,760 Posts
The Hacker looks like a good motor but you would get more power from something with a low enough kv to run on 6s.

You might give Bert at www.aerobertice.be a call and see if he is getting any of the new v2 torque motors in, they look like a real beast of a motor.

But if I was building one I may try a low cost option:
The E-max (or E-Power) 4020/09 470kv looks like a perfect motor for the 60" EXP's and is very cheap: http://www.emaxmodel.com/views.asp?hw_id=30 I've used several E-Max motors and they are really good value. They are available from GiantShark (sold as E-Power but same motor): http://www.giantshark.co.uk/epower-g...-p-405962.html

If you have trouble with shipping I'd be more than happy to forward on for you.

Steve
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Skjoling View Post
hey thanks, Steve
ok scratch that.. lol

Please recommend me the perfekt setup ? and I will think about it..
except the airframe which I have decided for to be a Extreme Flight 60" Edge..
Motor: while the new torque 4016-500 motor looks promising with a 16" prop, the motrolfly 4315-480 has been tested with good success. I would stick with one of these two, but a hacker with the right KV and weight will work too.
Esc: while the hv castle you spcified is up to the task, unless you already own it, I think the added weight and cost is unnecessary. The castle ice lite 100 should do the trick. Also had good experience and always heard good things about ZTW esc, and they will also cost a bit less. With the HV castle you stated you will need a seperate BEC as the ESC doesn't have one built in. Castle 10 amp is nice.
Servos: the hs-5245 are the recommended servo... Some say they get blowback at high speeds. I can't attest to that as I have no experience with. That's why I am went with the high volt hs-7245, pricy though.
Batteries: I would stay away from the Nanos, I personally had bad experience with them and many others too. The live a short life and mine died 50 cycles into use. Gens Ace and Skylipo from hobbypartz and Glacier from EP buddy is what I use with good success. You could get the regular Turnegy blue lipos they last a little longer but also loose power faster then the other three I stated. Unfortunately, I think the Gens Ace and Sky Lipo in that size are out of stock and who knows when they will be in.
We all know for certain... The Extreme Flight airframes are bad a$$, and you can't go wrong there.
Good luck
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:47 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,760 Posts
PS... for Gens Ace batteries try: http://electriflyer.co.uk/gens-ace-6s1p-3300mah-30c/

Not sure if they do international shipping but the offer or forwarding from the Uk is there is you want it....

Steve
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:15 PM
USA, NY, Patchogue
Joined Aug 2009
345 Posts
Does anyone know how much Ken at motrofly charges for a rewind? I have a 4s setup with 750kv in a brand X 57" extra. Thinking of taking everything out and putting it in a 60" extra. Would like to get it rewound for 6s.
steve400 is offline Find More Posts by steve400
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:16 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,111 Posts
Ask him:
subsonicplanes@yahoo.com

I bet he replies in less than 10 minutes.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_