SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:36 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Yes... Also position the ESC so it gets lots of airflow, this is especially important on the Ice lite as it's only good for it's stated amp rating if it has excellent cooling.
Good point Steve. Another simple thing to try that could easily solve the issue.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:42 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
Gonna toss out a question to the experts.
I have been going through my 'junk drawers' lately, and trying to make use of things I already have... and I've been wondering if anyone has tried either a Rimfire .55 or Exceed Monster Power 60 on any of the 60" EF planes.

At a glance, I would think I could get away with the Rimfire and a 14x7 or 15x6 but would be interested in hearing if anyone has actually given either powerplant a shot... in anything.

I either need to start using some of this (mostly NIB) crap, or selling it. I went on a 'buy everything that looks like a good deal' streak when I first got into electric, I guess.

Some of it I'll never use... Like the NIB Hacker A40-10L 8-pole 1100kv that I've since found out is a heli motor. LOL. (In spite of it coming with prop adapters, x-mount, and a box stating "Ideal for Sport, 3D & Warbirds")
But I digress. So yeah... RImfire .55 or Monster Power 60? Any chance?
The Hacker 1100Kv may actually be a decent 3-cell motor for a plane that comes in under 50 ounces with a 13x6 or 13x6.5. Iím not sure how long it is compared to the 820 Torque, but you still may find a home for it on a 46-48 inch 3D airframe if it will fit under the hood.

The Rimfire 55 was made to be an electric replacement for the OS 55, which was Tomís first 3D motor on an old U-Can-Do that came in around the same weight as the 60 EXPsÖ about 5.5 pounds. I never owned a Rimfire because most of the guys I know that had them needed to use smaller props than what I wanted to use. Iím going to guess the 55 can handle the 15x8, which makes is another possibility for the 60 inch EXPs.

I also had three Monster motors, and still have two, but never owned the 60. We have the 46 in a conversion on the plane Tom used as his trainer, the 70 inch LT-40, with a 4S 5000 turning a 14x7 APC for about 8 minute flights. I converted it to a tail dragger with big white wheel pants. We have not flown it in a long time but it makes for a great bush plane and camera platform.

I also have the 110, which is an e-Flite 110 knock-off. Actually all Monsters are e-Flite knock-offs, but with a little less power and a lot more magnet-throwing issues. Mine turns an 18x8 to about 7400 RPMs, 1500 Watts, and 48A on an 8S setup. Iím going to guess that the 60 is probably another decent motor for a 60 inch 3D airframe that comes in heavier than a Torque, Motrolfly, and Hacker, with less power, which is typically the case with all ExceedRC motors that I have had or seen. With that said, the 160 size threw magnets from day-one on a club memberís plane, which he continued to repair until it finally fried in-flight. It was an awesome spectacle that we still talk about at the field.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:11 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,315 Posts
Today i cleared my castle link log so i could see what kind of numbers i was getting. According to the log the ESC temp. maxed out at 177 F. The average was around 125-150 F. It also said my max amps was 74amps(this is just the peak number the average was much lower at around 40 amps.)
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:49 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
I would typically think that this temp is way hot except we were working on a friend's planes at the field yesterday and the CC logger gave a 190 degree reading from an 18 second flight that Tom put on the plane. Tom was putting an 87 inch SHP through the paces, with a Q80-8M on 12S, when the left aileron pushrod ripped out of the ball link. He landed it right away, but after 18 seconds, 190 degrees sounded nearly impossible. Do you have another prop, like an APC, Xoar, or Vox, to try?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
I would typically think that this temp is way hot except we were working on a friend's planes at the field yesterday and the CC logger gave a 190 degree reading from an 18 second flight that Tom put on the plane. Tom was putting an 87 inch SHP through the paces, with a Q90-8M on 12S, when the left aileron pushrod ripped out of the ball link. He landed it right away, but after 18 seconds, 190 degrees sounded nearly impossible. Do you have another prop, like an APC, Xoar, or Vox, to try?
I just ordered some xoar props they will be here wednesday. When i land the ESC is not so hot that i can't touch it so i guess it's not TOO bad.. Also i think i read somewhere that the temp cutoff for ice lite ESCs was around 250F?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
The reason I asked was because the only 15 inch props in our test data that went over 70A were the non-electric Vess, the Falcon, and the Vox. If the Protek is anything like these props, you could be maxing your 75A ESC even with a 15x8.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:03 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,315 Posts
Quote:
The reason I asked was because the only 15 inch props in our test data that went over 70A were the non-electric Vess, the Falcon, and the Vox. If the Protek is anything like these props, you could be maxing your 75A ESC even with a 15x8.
Hmmm, i'll recheck all my numbers after i switch to the xoar and see if that makes a difference. Maybe i'll go back down to a 15x7. I'll probably upgrade to a ice lite 100 when i get a little extra cash. Thanks again.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
Even the 15x8 Vox was heating up the 500Kv Torque on one setup, and Lee's test data shows 76A for that prop, and 78A for the 15x8 Falcon. The more headroom you give your ESC, the cooler it will be, from my experience. The Xoar 16x8 PJN had no in-flight data over 70A but we still used a 100A ESC. Double check to make sure you're using an electric prop and not a gas prop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:24 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Hmmm, i'll recheck all my numbers after i switch to the xoar and see if that makes a difference. Maybe i'll go back down to a 15x7. I'll probably upgrade to a ice lite 100 when i get a little extra cash. Thanks again.
Quote:
Even the 15x8 Vox was heating up the 500Kv Torque on one setup, and Lee's test data shows 76A for that prop, and 78A for the 15x8 Falcon. The more headroom you give your ESC, the cooler it will be, from my experience. The Xoar 16x8 PJN had no in-flight data over 70A but we still used a 100A ESC. Double check to make sure you're using an electric prop and not a gas prop.
Guys, I've been using the Protek Electric Wood props interchangeably with the Xoar PJN props for a few months now with no issues. The tend to weigh about 10% more, but the performance is more similar than different.
I've used the 13x6 on my 48", the 15 & 16x8 on my 60", and the 18,19, &20" props on my quarter scales. Great prop for the price.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:57 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Guys, I've been using the Protek Electric Wood props interchangeably with the Xoar PJN props for a few months now with no issues. The tend to weigh about 10% more, but the performance is more similar than different.
I've used the 13x6 on my 48", the 15 & 16x8 on my 60", and the 18,19, &20" props on my quarter scales. Great prop for the price.
Any static Amps comparisons between them?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Any static Amps comparisons between them?
Sorry, no... I may have done it at the time, but I didn't log anything. Maybe I should start saving that kind of stuff somehwere!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:07 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, no... I may have done it at the time, but I didn't log anything. Maybe I should start saving that kind of stuff somehwere!
There's an app for that ... notepad comes standard on a lot of phones .

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
There's an app for that ... notepad comes standard on a lot of phones .

--Tom K.
I actually use the RCLogbook app from clevertangerine, I just haven't kept up on storing my data from tests.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:23 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
Quote:
I actually use the RCLogbook app from clevertangerine, I just haven't kept up on storing my data from tests.
I actually take the notes from notepad and plug them into a spreadsheet at the end of the day because I'm trying to keep track of the flights and battery data on the big planes. For example, the average consumption for 3D on Tom's 10S 116A at WOT setup is 732mAh per minute. If he decides to go all-out, it can be as high as 820mAh per minute.

Full-out means no more than 5 minutes and that's pushing it to just over 80% of capacity on the two 5000mAh batteries. I now have 20 flights of data from this setup, all on a combination of three Sky Lipos, and I'm expecting to see some changes as the batteries get older.

We are using another battery type and Tom has ten flights on two of those. He already doesn't want to fly with them anymore because he can feel the sag at certain times in the flight. They do come down much warmer than the Sky's even though they are 50C and the Sky's are 40C. We'll see what happens, but I may end up having to find a 10S plane for me to fly, like the 78 Extra, because we have four of them and they ain't cheap. Plus I need something bigger than the 60 anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:41 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,056 Posts
So you getting those Proteks from Amain hobbies?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC