HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:08 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjp View Post
Jim, I have an Eagle Tree logger with the sensors that I used to dial in the Yak. Anybody know if a current sensor is available?
Nice... Can you download software updates. V4 is the latest.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:12 AM
2.3 D Hack Bradenton FL
Joined Dec 2010
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Nice... Can you download software updates. V4 is the latest.
It's Flight Data Recorder V-3
I have the rogue vista anti virus 2012 on this computer and it's driving me crazy. You are welcome to use what I have. Looks like the sensors are available for it. I have the PITOT TUBE and Temp sensors.
frankjp is offline Find More Posts by frankjp
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:02 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
Ap thanks for all the work you have been doing in this. I would guess your north of 40the hours worth if data gathering and other work.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:40 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Ap thanks for all the work you have been doing in this. I would guess your north of 40the hours worth if data gathering and other work.
Thanks, but I work about 60 hours a week on other technical stuff so I guess there is no separating the two.

I think we're all here because we are looking for improving the enjoyment of this hobby by improving our knowledge and understanding of it. I personally feel that without this curiosity and assessment, the guys that say to keep it simple and stupid would all be sitting at the top of a hill rolling rocks down the slope.

I'll try to get together with Frank and Tom this weekend and hopefully bang out the remaining test data and some videos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:43 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
They may already be in, so check EF if that's the motor you decided on.

I wish I had some onboard logging, and I think this is another reason to go with the CC Ice 100A on the Motrolfly.
I dont think the logger on the ice is as accurate as to what you are doing here.
Unless they have really improved it since I quit using the logging feature and the internal becs on them.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:48 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I dont think the logger on the ice is as accurate as to what you are doing here.
Unless they have really improved it since I quit using the logging feature and the internal becs on them.
You're probably right Manta. Not the first time I heard that, so we'll use Franks Eagle Tree if possible. We'll know more when we get together at MCRC this weekend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:52 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
good luck! Ill be heading that way again monday ish.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:26 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Ap thanks for all the work you have been doing in this.
Quote:
I think we're all here because we are looking for improving the enjoyment of this hobby by improving our knowledge and understanding of it.
There is a good reason why our sh_t works...

Knowledge and doing. (guess that is two reasons )

The best guys fly the best stuff!

Profs to the Extreme Flight RC crew (Chris H and team), Team Extreme Flight, and the guys in this and other EFRC threads and especially to those providing data, setup tips, etc... You know who you are and so do we. You are very much appreciated!

I sometimes chuckle to myself and sometimes shake my head in disbelief at some of the guys who I see at the field who always seem to have problems with their planes. They either don't know and/or don't (won't) do what is right.

Thank god for Extreme Flight, this forum and a great group of guys supporting each other. Special mention for Doc Austin who has shared an enormous amount with us and taken his fair of jabs, jokes, crap, er... uh, I mean terms of endearment. Yeah, terms of endearment...

I must say, since I got my first EF plane, my standards have been raised (and they were pretty high before).

Hanging with you guys is the icing on the cake.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:03 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
good luck! Ill be heading that way again monday ish.
Have Austin call me. We'll go flying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
There is a good reason why our sh_t works...

Knowledge and doing. (guess that is two reasons )

The best guys fly the best stuff!

Profs to the Extreme Flight RC crew (Chris H and team), Team Extreme Flight, and the guys in this and other EFRC threads and especially to those providing data, setup tips, etc... You know who you are and so do we. You are very much appreciated!

I sometimes chuckle to myself and sometimes shake my head in disbelief at some of the guys who I see at the field who always seem to have problems with their planes. They either don't know and/or don't (won't) do what is right.

Thank god for Extreme Flight, this forum and a great group of guys supporting each other. Special mention for Doc Austin who has shared an enormous amount with us and taken his fair of jabs, jokes, crap, er... uh, I mean terms of endearment. Yeah, terms of endearment...

I must say, since I got my first EF plane, my standards have been raised (and they were pretty high before).

Hanging with you guys is the icing on the cake.

JC
Yeah, +1.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:15 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,401 Posts
For those of you who don't know him, Doc is a great guy and because I live near him and fly with him, I see first hand how he always goes out of his way, at all hours of the day, to help people that need it. Above and beyond the call of duty, in my opinion, and Tom and I have many examples and stories to illustrate this because we've been on the receiving end of his help many times. Doc Rocks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
Yeah... he'd definately Doc Awesome!

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:29 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
Cloudy day kept us from taking any readings today(RPM's are light sensitive), hopefully tomorrow this front will move on and we can get some numbers!

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:03 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,401 Posts
We were not able to get any new data but I have something interesting to share anyway because I had some time to build another graph that I had on my hit-list. I hope you like this as much as I do because it speaks volumes….

In this graph, I plotted the calculated fields that represent performance relative to thrust and Amps. In other words, the values represent the number of ounces of thrust produced per Amp for the 15x8 Xoar and APC props on the 4016T-500 motor and the 16x8 Xoar and APC props on the 4315-480 motor.

It is important to state at this point that I used typical statistical extrapolation to fabricate the 15x8 two-thirds and five-sixth data points, so they are not actual readings. This is important because until we get real values, it is our prerogative to dismiss their accuracy. But the rest of the data is recorded from testing sequences.

These results will not tell us which prop on which motor generates the most amount of thrust, or the most amount of Amps. Instead, its focus is to illustrate which motor/prop combination produces the most amount of thrust on the least amount of Amps (efficiency).

The chart reveals, among other things, that the Xoar 15x8 on the Torque 4016T-500 produces the most thrust on the least amount of Amps at WOT. At nearly every other point, the Xoar 16x8 on the Motrolfly 4315-480 is the most efficient combination. You can also see the decrease in efficiency as we move to WOT, and the thought of dialing back the small throttle percentage that can do the most damage to the power system may have some additional, supporting evidence.

Take a look and let us know if you see anything else that I may have missed… I wanted to proof the data and display it ASAP, so there could be a lot more here. Remember, the data points represent Ounces per Amp and not the most amount of each.

I will be producing the graphs that display the Amps and Thrust separately for the motor/prop combos represented in this chart over the next few days, and hopefully have the Vox 16x6 data Frank and I are very curious about after Lee’s results (thanks, again, Lee).

http://www.rcwebclub.com//Portals/rc...2011302011.pdf
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:13 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,721 Posts
interesting to see how at full throttle on the motrofly the Xoar loses efficiency. If I had only been given all the other data points I would have bet big money that would not have been the case. I wonder why the xoar peters out at that point?

As far as supporting the dialing throttle back option, I am still anxiously awaiting 16 x 6 and 16 x 7 results
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:13 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
interesting to see how at full throttle on the motrofly the Xoar loses efficiency. If I had only been given all the other data points I would have bet big money that would not have been the case. I wonder why the xoar peters out at that point?

As far as supporting the dialing throttle back option, I am still anxiously awaiting 16 x 6 and 16 x 7 results
Me too!! Stay tuned.... I just spoke with Frank on the phone and he was nice enough to offer more support in the the way of a new Eagle Tree logger... it's gonna be good.

As for the Xoar final reading, Franks sent his WOT unrestricted values to me last week and they were a whopping 13.36 pounds at 1883 RPMs and 83.63 Amps, pushing the recommended limits of the manufacturer, but producing an efficiency rating of 2.556 oz/A. This value at two decimals is 2.56 pushing the bar 0.01 ounces per Amp higher than the APC, making the Xoar the top ranked prop at WOT for both sizes.

BUT... this data was not included originally in my assessment because the test took place a day or two later in a different location, under different conditions. The only conclusion we can honestly come to is that things are very close at WOT except for the way the APC values flatten out on the 15x8.
RCG Plus Member