HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I don't recall attacking you... I'm pretty sure I stated that I use a 16x8 and that I would be afraid to use a pack you had mentioned... Not any attacking going on there... Trying to call me out for a thread for a plane that we both owned and both sold is deflecting some of your anger issues out on me a bit. It's especially amusing when your most active thread is the exact same thread! I'm not sure what I or the 200 other people you argue with have done to you, but yet again, I offer my apologies for striking a nerve somewhere along the 14 different threads we've run into this issue in....
Apology accepted. Now lets move on.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:36 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Do they give entertainment points on this forum? Every time Gyro and I get into a debate we both score points!

disclaimer: sarcasm and joking tone was used in the above post.. currently no points have been awarded for this boring debate...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:47 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
That's much more data than I have up my sleeve! I do mostly low slow stuff, but the extra does such clean lines, I find myself doing fast knife edge circles and other pattern style stuff.

I still can't believe how awesome the flight times are with this motor, especially for how much we are pushing them... What are people experiencing with the torque motors flight time wise?
Even though the 500Kv with the 15x7 will draw fewer Amps, pushing it to higher speeds may mean that you are going to be consuming more Amps in the process. Everything is a trade-off and I would calculate my own consumption, which will change with motors and airframe sizes.

Tom uses 330mAh per minute on the 48 inch 3.4 pound airframe, 415mAh per minute on the 5.4 pound 60 inch, and about 750mAh on the 19 pound 85 inch.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:51 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Just to throw into the mix.

Finally got my Skylipo 40C6s3300 cells today, changed over my plugs and put a charge into them.
IR very low, around 1-2mOhm on first charge.

My 60" edge is finished so I ran up some static tests.

Motor DM4315-480
Prop Xoar 16x7
Skylipo 40C6s3300
Turnigy kForce 100A esc, setting at factory defaults.

Initial spool up with end points at 100% gave;

85A, 9000+ rpm

Dialed back to 70% throttle setting;
71A, 8600rpm, 1700W.

I think I'll fly it like this for the maiden and see how it pulls.

Not looking for high speed but low and slow 3D with plenty of pull out.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:09 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
5,672 Posts
Wow, those are big numbers for the 16x7 and probably have something to do with the fresh battery... higher voltage at WOT. This will wear off over time and the Amps should also settle down a bit in the air as the prop releases. I would think you will look something like this after the first flight.....................
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:30 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,316 Posts
Oh My those are some big numbers!

Shoot I would not dial anything back! If you don't need full throttle don't use it. But when you go to punch out of a hover that power is gonna be AWESOME

So I Guess I need to try some of those Lipos next time!
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:19 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Got all 4 of these lipos charged ready to maiden in the morning if the weather comes out nice.
I am gonna dial my cc bec up to 6.5V for the hitec servos though. I measured the 6v setting and its only pumping 5.78v actual at the Rx.

Dead,
I'm more worried that if I do punch it out hard on WOT that my motor box might rip off or something silly like that.

It does feel like a solid motor though, that's for sure.

I did do a run with the timing set on high, and although the numbers were a fraction higher I did get squeal from the motor when I punch wot a couple of times.

The lipos are about 530g with the XT60 connectors and a strip of blue velcro.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Good luck with the maiden Roger!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Got all 4 of these lipos charged ready to maiden in the morning if the weather comes out nice.
I am gonna dial my cc bec up to 6.5V for the hitec servos though. I measured the 6v setting and its only pumping 5.78v actual at the Rx.

Dead,
I'm more worried that if I do punch it out hard on WOT that my motor box might rip off or something silly like that.

It does feel like a solid motor though, that's for sure.

I did do a run with the timing set on high, and although the numbers were a fraction higher I did get squeal from the motor when I punch wot a couple of times.

The lipos are about 530g with the XT60 connectors and a strip of blue velcro.
If I remember correctly, I think Frank put the same setup (motor and K-Force 100A) in another 60 EXP with used batteries because we originally thought the squealing had something to do with the lower amount of voltage sag on new batteries. He still got the squeal.

With the original setups we used for testing, the squeal went away over time, and we only saw it again with Aeronaut props. I don't think we have yet determined what causes it and why it goes away, but we did play around with the timing settings a lot. We just didn't keep track of it too well so there is no conclusions we can draw yet.

I think it Tom changed the timing on his ESC, and the squeal returns on the same batteries we are using, we can probably conclude that it is a timing setting issue.

Anyone have any comments or knowledge about this?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:31 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Thanks Gary,
fingers crossed. This is my biggest bird to date.

Most likely the squealing was the brand new fresh battery and the esc not being able to time the motor properly on punch wot.

It did go away there after.

There's plenty of rpm and watts currently so I'll leave things as they are.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Gary,
fingers crossed. This is my biggest bird to date.

Most likely the squealing was the brand new fresh battery and the esc not being able to time the motor properly on punch wot.

It did go away there after.

There's plenty of rpm and watts currently so I'll leave things as they are.
i think you'll love the bigger planes. I've gotten 3 "giant scale" over the last few months and they fly amazing. Bigger is better!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:25 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Ha, that's what they say gary.

Also more $$ when you deck them!!! Ain't that right?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:08 PM
United States, VA, Manassas
Joined Sep 2010
346 Posts
Has anyone tried the 60" Edge on 4S with the 4315-714? Pros/Cons? I have a few 4S batteries and don't really want to invest in new batteries. Thanks
collinss is online now Find More Posts by collinss
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Guys, I think you will find that Tom has his throttle end point dialled down to only pull about 65A wot on the 16x8 prop.

Won't help the esc of course as it still pulses the high amp load but it does effect the amp effect and heat the motor sees.

I intend to run this 4315-480 motor on 16x7 prop and I'll also dial back the end point to around 65-70 amps max. See how it performs.

I do the same thing on the dm3615-750 motor on my 51" slick and have the throttle end point at 80% of max that sees the max load down at around 65A as well. Thats a 15x6 prop on the little slick.
Yes, I dial my motor back to 65 amps on the ground. But after we took some in flight readings with the Eagle Tree systems and realized how many amps drop once I get into the air (down into the 50s), I think I could probably leave the motor unrestricted and have <65 amps in the air, which would be awesome with the 16x8.

My endpoint dialing back is just to "save" the motor... I have a 100A ESC so it can take the load of full awesomeness. However, with it dialed back, it still has awesome power!

Check it in HD:
Tom Kitt - Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP__Sunset Huckin' (4 min 21 sec)

--Tom K.

P.S. I'll have a comment on the Giant Scale flying bigger and better once I get to the front of the Vimeo line. It's not an Extreme Flight, but the setup is insane! I'm contemplating whether or not to buy an 88" Edge to put this setup in for freestyle. But awesome power on a 19 pound 27% Extra! Similar video to the one I have of it on my youtube video, but better editing, better music, better quality.... it's amazing the difference between Movie Maker 3.6 on a PC and using iMovie on a Mac
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Stuff!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinss View Post
Has anyone tried the 60" Edge on 4S with the 4315-714? Pros/Cons? I have a few 4S batteries and don't really want to invest in new batteries. Thanks
Somebody has... let me go find his screenname...

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Stuff!