Old May 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
How did the 5s setup work this weekend

Also ken on my 600kv 2820 5s setup, can I run the 14x7 prop since its custom wound and has the modification in it?
I'm going to guess that no DM2820 should run a 14 inch prop more than 8500 RPMs only because I'm not sure how the fix is going to eliminate stator and rotor collision. Hacker made a motor mount with a bearing in it to support the shaft and I think the design's intention was to help avoid this from happening. The length on many motors has been shortened, and this design seems to also help avoid this through geometry. The same angle of deflection will collide on longer motors and not on shorter motors for the same reason that guys who hit golf balls farther actually have to be more accurate on the same fairway.

Speaking of which, I think Aberdeen is getting a new Trump course in a few months. Sound like Trump didn't think this one out, or realize where the Arctic Circle was.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 12:48 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Speaking of which, I think Aberdeen is getting a new Trump course in a few months. Sound like Trump didn't think this one out, or realize where the Arctic Circle was.
Dont get me started....The whole of Scotland is like a giant golf theme park. If you have a good drive you could play from one end of Scotland to the other. The main reason why there are so few decent places to fly round here is bl00dy golf courses. Wouldnt be so bad if i didnt hate the stupid game

Now Trump want to build yet another And he picks what's about the foggiest place on the planet to build it. I'm no golfer but my guess is it helps if you can see more than 10 yds in front of your nose?

Too late.. you got me started
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 28, 2012, 02:11 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Dont get me started....The whole of Scotland is like a giant golf theme park. If you have a good drive you could play from one end of Scotland to the other. The main reason why there are so few decent places to fly round here is bl00dy golf courses. Wouldnt be so bad if i didnt hate the stupid game

Now Trump want to build yet another And he picks what's about the foggiest place on the planet to build it. I'm no golfer but my guess is it helps if you can see more than 10 yds in front of your nose?

Too late.. you got me started
LOL... Golf is the main reason I started flying RC again after many years. I can have a lot more fun with a lot less money even when you consider what I just spent powering the 27%. A LOT more fun and A LOT less money. Between me, Tom and my wife, we now have six sets of golf clubs we may never use again taking up valuable space where we can be putting new airplanes.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 02:27 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
LOL... Golf is the main reason I started flying RC again after many years. I can have a lot more fun with a lot less money even when you consider what I just spent powering the 27%. A LOT more fun and A LOT less money. Between me, Tom and my wife, we now have six sets of golf clubs we may never use again taking up valuable space where we can be putting new airplanes.
Golf courses are terrible uses of land, no really they are!

A much better use would be a rifle/pistol range (I was into competition shooting before) or a flight field!
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old May 28, 2012, 03:46 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,630 Posts
I've repaired my DM2820. I followed Ken's instructions and it was all sorted in 15 minutes. I used Loctite 480 to bond the bearing tube into the back mount. Ken actually recommended Loctite 410 but that's harder to find over here, 480 is the same stuff but thinner. Basically 410 and 480 are just CA glue toughened by addition of rubber powder for impact resistance.

The only things to watch if you do the fix to your own motors is to get both parts squeaky clean and also to hit the joint with kicker around the windings immediately after mating the parts. This is because the CA based Loctite will apparently take the coating off the winding wire if it's left in contact for long while it's liquid, and it's hard to be sure that some of the Loctite hasn't squeezed out of the joint onto the windings.

Using a small drill (2mm I think) I carefully recessed the bearing tube for the two set screws to locate into and blue Loctited the screws in place.

It's all assembled now and feels nice and tight with no play at all. I'll give it 24 hours to cure. Time and weather permitting (and if they havent built a golf course or driving range on my flying site) I'll give it a test tomorrow. I'll go with a 13x7 Xoar and see how it stands up.

Steve
Steve
Old May 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
I've repaired my DM2820. I followed Ken's instructions and it was all sorted in 15 minutes. I used Loctite 480 to bond the bearing tube into the back mount. Ken actually recommended Loctite 410 but that's harder to find over here, 480 is the same stuff but thinner. Basically 410 and 480 are just CA glue toughened by addition of rubber powder for impact resistance.

The only things to watch if you do the fix to your own motors is to get both parts squeaky clean and also to hit the joint with kicker around the windings immediately after mating the parts. This is because the CA based Loctite will apparently take the coating off the winding wire if it's left in contact for long while it's liquid, and it's hard to be sure that some of the Loctite hasn't squeezed out of the joint onto the windings.

Using a small drill (2mm I think) I carefully recessed the bearing tube for the two set screws to locate into and blue Loctited the screws in place.

It's all assembled now and feels nice and tight with no play at all. I'll give it 24 hours to cure. Time and weather permitting (and if they havent built a golf course or driving range on my flying site) I'll give it a test tomorrow. I'll go with a 13x7 Xoar and see how it stands up.

Steve
Steve
Good job Steve2!
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 28, 2012, 04:14 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,630 Posts
That's Steve squared
Old May 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Time and weather permitting (and if they havent built a golf course or driving range on my flying site) I'll give it a test tomorrow. I'll go with a 13x7 Xoar and see how it stands up.
Did you get a weight measurement and run any numbers for the Xoar? That may actually be a great prop for the 750. Tom put the Xoar 12x6 on the Torque 820 that's on the 48 Extra and you could see the difference in power right from takeoff compared with the 12x6 APC. Definitely a few more Amps, though, but in your case, I think it may improve more than one thing.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
How did the 5s setup work this weekend
Missed this part of your post AJ.... We only maidened the Godfrey 27% Extra 300 this weekend because of the high winds from the sub-tropical storm moving up the east coast. Two flights in three weeks now so not a lot of flying. Tom has seven more days of school so if this year is anything last last year, we'll be out four or five times a week. One can only hope.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I still highly suggest putting the 638 on the extra, I'm really liking the setup on mine. The air boss should be able to handle it no problem.

Docs video of the laser was a reminder for of the pullout difference between the 4s 12x6 and the 5s 13x6.5. It just didn't have the acceleration in pullout that the 13" does.

I may do a video of 13" vs 14" on the edge for 4s.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old May 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,388 Posts
looking for a motor for the new laser, I want to run 4s as I have 8 batteries and it will be a motrolfly, is the 2820-683 a special wind from Ken and how much more does it cost than the 750?
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old May 29, 2012, 09:40 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janole View Post
looking for a motor for the new laser, I want to run 4s as I have 8 batteries and it will be a motrolfly, is the 2820-683 a special wind from Ken and how much more does it cost than the 750?
If you can wait, Subsonic Ken said this: "There will be 950, 750, and 680Kv, in the 2820 serries, the 680Kv will be the 4s 14x7 set up, watts about 700. Should have the 680 in about a month."

I would suggest you wait for this motor because you will like it on 4S if your preference is the 14 inch prop for high torque, which is the way to go IMO. If you want more speed, then the 750 on a 13x6.5, and 'maybe' a 13x7, will definitely be the speed combo.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 10:42 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,388 Posts
that sounds like the ticket, definitely want to run a 14x7 on this
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old May 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Got my 2820-683kv (14x7) back today for my edge, and my new 2820-750kv (13x6.5) for my MXS. Looking forward to abusing them this weekend.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 30, 2012, 03:10 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Guys, I put the torque 820 onto my edge today to run up and fly with 4s.

Tried out Apc 12x6, APC 13x6.5, vox 13x5 and Vox 13x6.5 with Turnigy 40C4s2200 cells.

Numbers were very interesting and not what I expected.

APC 12x6, 10650rpm, 46A, 761W
Vox 13x5, 10110rpm, 42A, 646W
Vox 13x6.5, 9300rpm, 51A, 796W
APC 13x6.5, 9390rpm, 60A, 950W.

Of course the APC 13x6.5 seems to really drag out the amps so I test flew on the vox 13x6.5 and apc 12x6.

Even though the apc 12x6 and vox 13x6.5 give similar numbers in terms of watts at the meter they seem very different to fly.

I flew 6 packs in total, two on the apc 12x6 and 4 on the vox 13x6.5.

The vox really seemed to have a lot more vertical pullout than the apc 12x6, post stall was heaps more stable, stable hover, easier to torque roll and snaps and tumbles more aggressive.

Maybe it was me setup, but the apc 12x6 really felt anaemic by comparison.

Now I know this is probably way above the specs for the torque motor, but as it was just sitting around, I thought why not give it a go. Worst that can happen is burn out the motor, but after 4 packs back to back of pretty hard hucking the torque didn't really feel very hot to the touch.

I might keep it this way for a while and fly its guts out and see whats what.

I would like a set of Gens Ace 4s2200 to try, as they are heaps lighter than the turnigy 4s2200 from what I can see.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger