HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:50 PM
USA, WA, Redmond
Joined Aug 2010
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Now we are getting really anxious and excited.

Again, thank you to every person who contributed to the prop test. You guys should be put into the RC hall of fame!

JC

I don't know about the RC hall of fame for me rather I would bet my neighbors would submit me to the Home Owners Association Hall of Shame. For the last couple of months all they have seen or heard was the garage door opening one quarter and then the deafening roar of a prop at full spool. One neighbor asked what in the world was I building in there, I told him the most precious thing of all, “knowledge”. Now it’s past time to take terror to the skies, Slicks beware my EXP is clinching at the bit and I will be flyin angry with red in my eyes; EXP red, white and black that is.
leespaddock is offline Find More Posts by leespaddock
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:49 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leespaddock View Post
... For the last couple of months all they have seen or heard was the garage door opening one quarter and then the deafening roar of a prop at full spool...
Reminds me of my nitro days when I would throw a prop on a ducted fan engine and perform "break in" in my drive way.

One pissed off neghbor from across the street came over and scolded me for making noise when she was trying to get her kids to bed. I was nice and put it away but did remark (politely) to her that it was the middle of Summer and 7:30 in the evening. She just continued to give me an evil look as she stomped back across the street.

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Nov 22, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:54 PM
2.3 D Hack Bradenton FL
Joined Dec 2010
182 Posts
Quote:
I don't know about the RC hall of fame for me rather I would bet my neighbors would submit me to the Home Owners Association Hall of Shame. For the last couple of months all they have seen or heard was the garage door opening one quarter and then the deafening roar of a prop at full spool. One neighbor asked what in the world was I building in there, I told him the most precious thing of all, “knowledge”. Now it’s past time to take terror to the skies, Slicks beware my EXP is clinching at the bit and I will be flyin angry with red in my eyes; EXP red, white and black that is.
Have Fun RED EYE ,,,You need a break after all that testing!!
After looking over your Vox testing, I ordered most of them and will take them along tomorrow . It looks like the 16x6 or 16x7 may make a good showing in the efficiency department. The #s ,,yes
frankjp is offline Find More Posts by frankjp
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:04 PM
2.3 D Hack Bradenton FL
Joined Dec 2010
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Reminds me of my nitro days when I would throw a prop on a ducted fan engine and perform "break in" in my drive way.

One pissed off neghbor from across the street came over and scolded me for making noise when she was trying to get her kids to bed. I was nice and put it away but did remark (politely) to her that it was the middle of Summer and 7:30 in the evening. She just continued to give me an evil look as she stomped back across the street.

JC
I started to break in a Max H OS 40 in our basement in MN winter back in the 70s.
The LOOK on her face through the blue smoke. "What ,It's cold out there"
frankjp is offline Find More Posts by frankjp
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:55 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,654 Posts
Has anybody used a Rimfire motor? A friend of mine just put a Rimfire 80 in his Edge. The price is good, it looks very well made, and the specs are good. He got 1400 watts on a 15x8 on 6S. It's a little heavier than the Torque but still reasonable (298g).

The Rimfire 60 also looks like a good 4S option at 650 KV. They only rate it for 5S or 6S, though.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:54 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Has anybody used a Rimfire motor? A friend of mine just put a Rimfire 80 in his Edge. The price is good, it looks very well made, and the specs are good. He got 1400 watts on a 15x8 on 6S. It's a little heavier than the Torque but still reasonable (298g).

The Rimfire 60 also looks like a good 4S option at 650 KV. They only rate it for 5S or 6S, though.
Let us know how it performs.

Looking at the specs it appears that it is going to be on the weak side for 3D compared to the Torque 4016T-500. He's also pushing more power than its rated for if that's continuous watts. Pricewise - essentially same as the Torque once you buy the prop adapter and mount that are needed. EDIT: Sites only showing motor but adapter and mount come with it according to package contents.

Torque has it beat for power, weight, and performance and for about the same price depending on where you get the Rimfire and accessories.

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Nov 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:11 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post

I used to have a Rimfire .55, same dimension as the 60 but 480kv. Listed as ~260g but the bare motor (without accessories) weighed 290g or so.
It ran a bit hot on 6s with 15x8 prop @ 1100w or so.

For that price, I will never buy Rimfire motors again. Hyperion Z4020 motors are much better choice for the 60" EXP at $70 shipped (has KV options for either 5s or 6s).

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:19 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
For the last couple of months all they have seen or heard was the garage door opening one quarter and then the deafening roar of a prop at full spool.
If only they knew how lucky they are you aren't flying nitro.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:22 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
If only they knew how lucky they are you aren't flying nitro.
When are you maidening your Extra?

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:30 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
When are you maidening your Extra?

--Tom K.
Looks like Jim isn't goinjg to be here this month, so it is looking like just before Christmas. I could go get it, but that's a six hour drive and about $100 in gas.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:10 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Since this is the power system thread and you guys like equations... here's one

Edge + Motrolfly 4315-480(w/16x8 Xoar dialed back to 60-65 amps with Gens Ace 25C 3300mAh 6S and Sky Lipo 30-60C 3300mAh 6S) + Savox = Awesome

Figure 1:

Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP 60"__First Film (6 min 34 sec)

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tom K.; Nov 25, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:21 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Edge + Motrolfly 4315-480(w/16x8 Xoar dialed back to 60-65 amps with Gens Ace 25C 3300mAh 6S and Sky Lipo 30-60C 3300mAh 6S) + Savox = Awesome

Figure 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gssk3yt3Dlk

--Tom K.
OOOH yeah. Somehow I knew you would like it.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:23 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
OOOH yeah. Somehow I knew you would like it.
Yeah... It's awesome!

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:18 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,061 Posts
Tom.
Why don't you use a 16 x 7 or APC 16 x 6 instead of dialing back the throttle? It would be more efficient, cause less heat, and the thrust out of hover would be better, no?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:24 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Because the last 12.5% of my throttle has almost no affect on thrust, but an increase in amps to a level I'd rather stay out of.

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member