HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:41 AM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Discussion
NEW Twisted Hobbys/ParkAero RC Factory 31" Sbach 342

Hi guys!
Here we have the NEW RC Factory 31" Sbach 342 from ParkAero and Twisted Hobbys
I've been lacking enthusiasm to play lately, what with rubbish weather and her ladyship wanting to spend 'quality' time together so haven't really felt the urge to say I WANT ONE!!

However things changed this week when doing the rounds on the internet, I checked out ParkAero and saw this little beauty hidden among the rather impressive range of models available on the site. A quick call to Mark soon saw one winging it's way to my front door, greeted by a rather annoyed woman....bye bye quality time! so here goes....

Now in all the excitement i did'nt get a snap of the airframe in bits I have got a pic of the power package though!!

The power set is the 'SICK' set and was also supplied by ParkAero and includes;

Xseries 2204 brushless motor w/ integrated prop saver, two aluminium prop hub adaptors, O rings and mounting screws.
Sunrise Models 10A-Pro 10 Amp brushless speed controller (ESC)
Tuff 8 x 4.3 Slow Fly propeller
2x TowerPro SG51R 6g servos
1x TowerPro SG91R 9g servo

You will Need;
Sharp knife
CA (not foam safe)
kicker if you like
1-1.5mm drill peice
small phillips(crosshead) screw driver
long nose pliers for the clips.

The OrangeRX R410 DSM2 4 channel receiver is compatible with all Spektrum/JR DSM2

25C 450mAh 2S 7.4V Li-PO Battery

Remove the inner tab that covers the exit of the spar slot.

This allows the spruce to insert fully. Once happy with the fit, add some CA. I chose to do half at a time to stop mess.

repeat this process on the other wing panel

Dri-fit the 'BackBone', again once happy apply CA
The Front section is fitted in the same manner
Note; the tabs found throughout this model used for aligning sections is a superb idea and many other manufactures would benefit from this.

Dri-Fit the horizontal stab, happy? CA

It should look like this!

Next up the elevator servo. Place in position and lightly mark the area you need to cut away, remember cutting inside this line withh provide a snug fit.
I ahve trimmed off the servo mounting lugs.

Follow the same procedure for the aileron servo. The bottom of the case does not sit flush the with top of the 'back bone'

Now Dri-fit the lower fuselage section and mark the areas you need to removed to accomodate the protruding servo. Now whip out the CA again and get it in there!!

Take the two smaller carbon rods and drop CA onto one end and hold a 'Z-Bend' in place till the glue dries. Once it has slide some heatshrink up and over the carbon and rod and shrink in place. If you do not cover the entire rod and shrink then re do the shrink tubing, partially covered is not satisfactory.

Among the ply sheet you get is a very tidy little CNC machined servo extension arm, either CA or screw mount this onto your existing smaller plastic servo arm.
Attach the Z bends and clip onto the servo.

Now CA your control horns in the pre-cut slots on each aileron. To get a smooth fit you may need to trim some of the bottom of horn to make shallower.

slide an 'Eazi/Kwik Lock' connector on to carbon rod and push through the horn, hold it place with the black clips provided.

You now need to CA the black supports to the lower section of the fuselage. they run at a 45 degree angle from the BACK of the aileron servo, down the fuselage

Slot in the rudder servo, marking and trimming where needed.
Now fit the upper section of the fuselage, marking the areas again for the servo's.

Fit the control horn into the elevator using the same emthod as the aileron horn if needed.

CA the rudder to the fuselage

insert the control horn, apply CA

Supplied in the Ply CNC Pack is some tiny push rod guides, they fit into the pre-made holes across the airframe on both sides for the rudder and elevator.

Using the same 'Z Bend' procedure as earlier on take the two larger push rods and clip into the rudder and elevator servo arms. Thread through the push rod guides and into some 'Eazi/Kwik Loks'
which in turn get clipped into the control horns on the relevant surfaces.

Take the two SFG's and gently cut in half.

CA 1 half into the bottom of the wing

repeat for the other.

Take the motor mount, douuble check your motor lines up with the existing holes. If it does not then make new holes using a 1-1.5mm drill piece.
If the current holes are correct then CA away!

fit your motor but don't overtighten the screws as you will open the GRP mount up to much and have a sloppy motor hanging off the front!!

Now all thats left is to make a small and snug hole slow for the rx to sit and the battery.
test the position of your battery first to check it's right for your chosen CofG

Add your ESC and your done!!

I will have a video of her flying shortly, just waiting for the rain to clear up and i can go play, well providing I don't get slaughtered for ignoring the better half for the few hours is took to build this!!

All Up weight is around the 170g mark and the 'SICK' package seems to be exactly that!! even though im still holding it!

Hope this helps you all feel free to ask any questions.

Jamie
Greengiant is offline Find More Posts by Greengiant
Last edited by Greengiant; Nov 06, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:25 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,239 Posts
Congrats Jamie, it looks like you are new to RcGroups as well so welcome!

Nice job on your build, looks good. These new line of EPP planes from RCF are so awesome since they are so easy to build, tough as nails and fly amazing for their size. Just a note on the SFG's they do not need to be cut in two pieces, only the center section is needed to be cut.

Here is some production photos and a video clip of the Sbach and the Edge
Name: RCF 32" Sbach belly.jpg
Views: 188
Size: 198.7 KB
Description: Name: RCF 32" Sbach.jpg
Views: 237
Size: 280.4 KB
Description:
RcFactory EPP 32" SBach (0 min 23 sec)

Name: Edge_GaryH.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 115.8 KB
Description: Name: Edge_Hot_Blue.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 142.2 KB
Description:
Edge 540 RC Factory (4 min 44 sec)

Our shipment should be arriving any day now and we can't wait!

Brad
Twisted Hobbys
Twisted Realm is online now Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:59 PM
United Kingdom, Worthing
Joined May 2008
70 Posts
Well done Jamie. Keep the updates coming. I'm looking forward to your video
SparkyMarki is offline Find More Posts by SparkyMarki
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Just to keep you informed I've not forgotten about this! Too much bloomin wind!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:20 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Stop eating the beans then seriously though I'm looking forward to your video. Don't make it look to good though, I really don't need any more temptation to expand my epp collection
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:36 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Dont worry Jamie about the Mrs mine is the same... there just jealous
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Last edited by Kris...; Nov 15, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:54 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
I am really tempted to buy the SBach while i am waiting for Mark to pull his finger out and get some more Slicks in.

I wonder how it will stack up against the Edge ??? shame none of us have them both, another reason why i might fall for one out of curiosity ...
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:26 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
I am really tempted to buy the SBach while i am waiting for Mark to pull his finger out and get some more Slicks in.

I wonder how it will stack up against the Edge ??? shame none of us have them both, another reason why i might fall for one out of curiosity ...
If you mean the Telink/Twisted Hobbys Extra Slick, I would wait for that, I am too

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:43 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
If you mean the Telink/Twisted Hobbys Extra Slick, I would wait for that, I am too

Mike
Already reserved Mike
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:50 PM
Joined Apr 2004
106 Posts
I REALLY like the Sbach! My Edge gets here tomorrow. I may have to get the Sbach too!
AWDEVO8 is offline Find More Posts by AWDEVO8
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:49 AM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Luckily I'll be able to compare soon as a friend has just got an edge so we'll take to some indoor soon
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Sbach build starting tonight. Hope to have it done and maidened in the sports hall on saturday night

If it's half as good as the Edge we're in for a treat YEE HAA
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:28 PM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Nice one mate not even started mine looking forward to some more squash court action with the SBach
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:03 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
This is going to be interesting, Jakeyboy got the Twisted power set for the Sbach. Good to compare to the Xseries we have on the Edge's, I know it's aimed more as an outdoor set up so throttle management will be key indoor and it will be interesting to see how the extra torque from the larger prop effects it.

Got quite a bit done tonight and as always did things slightly different again this time round. I did manage to snap one of the pins off an ez connector though

Roll on Saturday night
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Got quite a bit done tonight and as always did things slightly different again this time round. I did manage to snap one of the pins off an ez connector though
Yeah, I managed to snap a pin on one of the connectors building my Edge. I don't know how you snapped yours but I was trying to remove one from a servo arm. It went on great. Coming off was another story.

Still, I love the fact they are using connectors in these kits. In my view it is a big improvement over just using z-bends on both ends of a control rod.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter