HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
I have a solid carbon rod stuffed up inside the original spar. I have put carbon rod down the underside of it, then put carbon rod up inside rudder. Want it to work but just cant see where i can get rid of weight except the second battery which is only 100grams

any suggestions welcome
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801 View Post
I have asked this a few times but just not sure...will this thing fly at 1.3kg? (gopro) or would i be better dumping my second battery and getting it down to 1.2kg
What do you mean by second battery? You have two flight batteries on the Bixler?

-Steve
http://www.ilovefpv.com

P.S. With FPV gear I'm coming in around 850g
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Last edited by ilovefpv; Apr 18, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Yes one for motor and other runs all gear and fpv stuff
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:11 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Sep 2006
50 Posts
I fly the Bixler right around 1.4kg no problem. Give it a strong toss on take off, and not too steep. My climb outs are fine, but it's got a pretty big in-runner. Stall speed comes up a bit. I'm planning to add flaps on my next Bixler build this summer to bring the approach and landing speeds back down.

I'm also running a single battery with an LC filter just in front of the vTX. No video issues.
MikeD096 is offline Find More Posts by MikeD096
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:57 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,783 Posts
Flying with GoPro and 3000mAh LiPo .. setup around 1.4kg - all stock - no issues.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:06 AM
I can fly this plane
Kingdom of Sweden, Gävleborg County, Sandviken
Joined Jan 2012
217 Posts
Quote:
P.S. With FPV gear I'm coming in around 850g
I am also at 850 gram when flying FPV with the Bixler.
(No Gopro, single cam)
PinDuke is offline Find More Posts by PinDuke
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:49 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Before I was around 1000 grams FPV setup with LG, I dunno what I am now, some repairs, AP, OSD, pan servo I didn't have when it was 1000, she still flies quite well though I do notice a difference in stall speed from before, but even with stock motor and 6x4 she climbs pretty good, no problems doing loops :P.

Can't wait for my RCTimer 2200kv to get here . Only other weight I plan to add on is 36 grams for HD cam. I want to do flaps but I just don't have the channels :P, maybe I will do them and just not use OSD screen switch... not sure yet.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Recent Juggernaut Flights
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
76 Posts
deleted
flybabo is offline Find More Posts by flybabo
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
Finished my Sky Surfer build. I incorporated the standard mods like beefing up the wing spar and the tail boom with carbon, securing the wings with velcro, APC 6x4e prop, etc. Also a few new ones like moving the servos back and making the tail detachable for easier transport (might create a travel crate for it). AUW is around 995g. Using the stock brushless now but I've got an RCTimer BC2826-6 2200KV motor in the mail. That'll be a nice upgrade when it gets here. I still have some last minute things to do on it like paint the tip of the nose flat black but I plan to maiden her this weekend.

Feel free to chime in if you see anything on my plane that doesn't work. I'm an FPV newbie (flying LOS for 8 years though).
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:43 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,382 Posts
@turbodriven

Nice job.....I'd like to see some more info on how you did the detachable tail.
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
Finished my Sky Surfer build. I incorporated the standard mods like beefing up the wing spar and the tail boom with carbon, securing the wings with velcro, APC 6x4e prop, etc. Also a few new ones like moving the servos back and making the tail detachable for easier transport (might create a travel crate for it). AUW is around 995g. Using the stock brushless now but I've got an RCTimer BC2826-6 2200KV motor in the mail. That'll be a nice upgrade when it gets here. I still have some last minute things to do on it like paint the tip of the nose flat black but I plan to maiden her this weekend.

Feel free to chime in if you see anything on my plane that doesn't work. I'm an FPV newbie (flying LOS for 8 years though).
Pretty nice setup, interesting location for the RX, but considering how you have your electronics it looks like it would provide good balance, though also a lot of wires to run a ways but it looks good . I do like the detachable pan/tilt idea, I am thinking of the same thing as it is a pain to pull out a plug from an RX that is FULL :P.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post

Is the battery mounted permanently? It looks like you have to split the fuse to get it out. This may not be an issue as I can get 55 minutes out of my 3000mAh battery pack, though that's set up for LOS flying only... light and not trying to get anywhere very fast. So... you just charge it in place?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:00 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,783 Posts
This is one nice looking plane.. but wait until you fly.. I prepared mine too and now the foam is dent, etc... :-) I guess normal usage ...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Rofl my nose looks all funny after that one crash where I lost my plane for a month, as well as the wing from the same crash, but she still looks pretty good and flys well I am hoping the weather improves a little today and maybe get out for a flight .

Well after looking at this image you can't even really tell rofl.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:34 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,783 Posts
How is that landing gear working out for you? Do you feel the drag?