HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:25 AM
Registered User
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Anyone have any ideas on my problem:

I flew my plane today but I only seem to be getting a range of about 200-250 yards before my video signal breaks up in my Fatshark goggles. I.m using all 5.8GH equipment, Fatshark Aviators, cloverleaf antennas, Hornet OSD, 2200mah battery for engine, 1000mah battery for video equipment. All the wires are also wrapped in ferrite coils. Any ideas as to why my range might be limited? I was flying in a completely open field with the only object close to me within 10 ft was my truck. I did notice that if the truck was between me and the plane my signal dropped to less than 50 ft. Any ideas on the long range??
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:19 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
What is the output of your vTx?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Anyone have any ideas on my problem:

I flew my plane today but I only seem to be getting a range of about 200-250 yards before my video signal breaks up in my Fatshark goggles. I.m using all 5.8GH equipment, Fatshark Aviators, cloverleaf antennas, Hornet OSD, 2200mah battery for engine, 1000mah battery for video equipment. All the wires are also wrapped in ferrite coils. Any ideas as to why my range might be limited? I was flying in a completely open field with the only object close to me within 10 ft was my truck. I did notice that if the truck was between me and the plane my signal dropped to less than 50 ft. Any ideas on the long range??
Max

Maybe it is the government testing out their RC range limiting jammer.

Check all your antenna connections as well as the TX & RX power sources. If it is not anything obvious then it could be something is either off frequency or something is really inter-fearing with your trans & receive signals.

Do you have any equipment to determine your TX signal strength?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
Registered User
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I have no way to test the signal strength.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
Registered User
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Does having any of the video wires running close to any of the power wires affect that?
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:52 AM
FPV Noob
fpsazerbaijan's Avatar
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Orkney, Scotland FPV

Hi everyone!

Packed up the Bixler (+ all my FPV gear) and hauled it all the way up to Orkney ( North of Scotland, UK) and was rewarded with one absolutely fantastic day.

Orkney FPV- HobbyKing Bixler (4 min 57 sec)


Let me know what you think

-Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:46 AM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
I have no way to test the signal strength.
There may be a place that performs electronic repairs on radio systems in your area that might test it for you. Or maybe a technical school of some kind.

Back in the day Radio Shack would have all kinds of equipment that could be used to test a radio system. Now they are mostly toy & cell phone dealers.

Do you know any ham radio operators in your area. They also may have what you need.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
There may be a place that performs electronic repairs on radio systems in your area that might test it for you. Or maybe a technical school of some kind.

Back in the day Radio Shack would have all kinds of equipment that could be used to test a radio system. Now they are mostly toy & cell phone dealers.

Do you know any ham radio operators in your area. They also may have what you need.
Pfft to radio shack, went there today to get a 500ohm pot and an SMA to RP-SMA adapter, of course ALL they have are standard SMA connectors, or SMA to BNC, and the only pots they had where 10k and up , PLUS $8 for a SMA to SMA male barrel! Highway robbery.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Well I got out and tested my 2.4Ghz 1 watt booster today, seemed to work fine but winds 20 to 25mph made it hard to test any distance, plus it was causing interference to my video signal, so I need to figure out how to fix that problem, plus landing in the high wind caused me to rip my LG out
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Well I got out and tested my 2.4Ghz 1 watt booster today, seemed to work fine but winds 20 to 25mph made it hard to test any distance, plus it was causing interference to my video signal, so I need to figure out how to fix that problem, plus landing in the high wind caused me to rip my LG out
Ouch. Can you do a ground distance test where you start at the plane and walk away until you lose the signal or see interference.

Maybe the shielding on the video receiver cable is not grounded at one end.

A floating shield will not protect the receiver from interference.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Ouch. Can you do a ground distance test where you start at the plane and walk away until you lose the signal or see interference.

Maybe the shielding on the video receiver cable is not grounded at one end.

A floating shield will not protect the receiver from interference.
Just moving a few feet away from RX fixes the interference, so I am going to use a second tripod to mount vRX on.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Just moving a few feet away from RX fixes the interference, so I am going to use a second tripod to mount vRX on.
Ohh. So your video vRX is interfering with you control signal.

Are you using 2.4g for both control and FPV? That might be the problem.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:50 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Ohh. So your video vRX is interfering with you control signal.

Are you using 2.4g for both control and FPV? That might be the problem.
No the 2.4Ghz 1 watt booster (RC control) was causing horizontal bans of interference on my 1.3Ghz Video, distance fixes the issue... Though I am sure there are other things that can be done to improve it and I am open to suggestions...


Here is a video of some of the flight to show you:
FPV - Testing 1 Watt Booster (5 min 8 sec)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:20 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
No the 2.4Ghz 1 watt booster (RC control) was causing horizontal bans of interference on my 1.3Ghz Video, distance fixes the issue... Though I am sure there are other things that can be done to improve it and I am open to suggestions...


Here is a video of some of the flight to show you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG032XSnAqM
I don't see any relation to the video issues and flying maneuvers so I don't think you have a loose connection somewhere on the BIX..

I know you had to replace some of the electronics after the crash. What changes did you make and what equipment did you keep?

The problem could be faulty electronics or cable connection that drops your signal strength. Or a mismatch between old and new electronics. Too many places to fail to easily id the root cause of the interference.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:28 PM
I need a bigger shed..
sammyc's Avatar
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Just moving a few feet away from RX fixes the interference, so I am going to use a second tripod to mount vRX on.
I was getting interference with my turnigy 9X with stock flysky module, rotating radio and moving closer/away changed interference. When I put the vrx about 4m away from me and groundstation, me and radio, it went away.
Now I use frsky RC gear with my 9X, and no interference.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sky Surfer or HK Bixler??? fpsazerbaijan Electric Plane Talk 11 Mar 17, 2012 05:43 AM
Sold 1800kv Motor/prop for Sky Surfer / Bixler / Easy Star tdab Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 1 Nov 01, 2011 04:46 PM
Sold Bixler Sky Surfer Hawk Sky ARF or complete kit porcia83 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 14, 2011 09:24 AM
Discussion Review of my Sky Surfer AKA Bixler , Flew Today for the first time. dllhg Electric Plane Talk 19 Aug 10, 2011 10:41 AM
Discussion Propeller recommendations Bixler/ sky surfer sean11 Power Systems 3 Jun 25, 2011 06:08 AM