Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:22 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
NorCal,
If you're looking for a good motor, try this one: http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...=MD2505-C-2535

I have 2 different Microdan engines and they are awesome. I'll be buying another one later today for my Skywalker that just came in.
Now that motor is a screamer from the looks of it...

APC 6x4, 19900rpm, 10.7V, 25A, 25oz thrust.

Nearly 20k RPM? At either rate a motor that cost more then the plane is not in my budget :P
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:31 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Now that motor is a screamer from the looks of it...

APC 6x4, 19900rpm, 10.7V, 25A, 25oz thrust.

Nearly 20k RPM? At either rate a motor that cost more then the plane is not in my budget :P
Good luck with the maiden. Remember put your name on the OUTSIDE this time.

Seems strange that you would spend the big bucks on the electronics like OSD, 2.4g booster and FPV gear but not the motor.

The motor reliability is what you count on to bring all that hi tech stuff back to you in one piece. In for a penny in for a pound.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Good luck with the maiden. Remember put your name on the OUTSIDE this time.

Seems strange that you would spend the big bucks on the electronics like OSD, 2.4g booster and FPV gear but not the motor.

The motor reliability is what you count on to bring all that hi tech stuff back to you in one piece. In for a penny in for a pound.
Yeah all the electronics wiped out my funds :P

I couldn't fly today cause of weather, hopefully tomorrow, or it will clear up but I doubt it .
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Yeah all the electronics wiped out my funds :P

I couldn't fly today cause of weather, hopefully tomorrow, or it will clear up but I doubt it .
Don't you live in Sunny California?

We get bad weather here in Florida too sometimes.

Especially during the hurricane season.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,899 Posts
today guys, ... I lost my Bix !!

Let's start with that the GPS tracker was not charged ...

1 - where I sat
2 - the point where I lost video
3 - the point where I heard the engine
4 - The point at which resides in plane

Probably the line of trees I sat near, killed my video link .. there was a point where the plane did not obey the controls .. I do not know why but I picked up the remote and he suddenly turned around .. It could be that I had blockages, wind, do not know ...

Then again, he insisted, turn right, where I lost the video .. The video came back and has gone again but I had this last point was recorded at ... And who knows where he went after it ...

In any case, I packed my gear, I approached the point which was close to where I lost the video ...

I stood there on the car roof with directional antenna pointed to all the directions ... and looking for a video signal .. nothing ... After that in the evening, I noticed the receiver was tuned on the wrong channel ...

I decided to add throttle and listen ... I heard him!!
I moved toward and over .. And every time I thought he was running away ... i was afraid someone took it ..
Cars .. Tractor .. Air hammer ... A crop duster ..
All this did not help me to listen to the engine ...

But in the end ....
On the corner of the roof, between two villas .. I found it .. Bit broken but I found it!!

The distance between where I heard it the first time or where I found it really .. Is 400 meters of earthworks, roads, cars, motorcycles and a crop duster ...

I have no explanation for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIwjP...?v=WIwjPjge_zA
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Last edited by guy1a; Apr 14, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Don't you live in Sunny California?

We get bad weather here in Florida too sometimes.

Especially during the hurricane season.
I'm in NorCal on the coast, world famous Humboldt County . Weather here is fairly consistent all year round temperature wise, however we get rainy like weather from November until April :P

Actually I might be able to get a flight in today, clouds look like they might be moving on for a moment and the wind has died down some...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
today guys, ... I lost my Bix !!

Let's start with that the GPS tracker was not charged ...

1 - where I sat
2 - the point where I lost video
3 - the point where I heard the engine
4 - The point at which resides in plane

Probably the line of trees I sat near, killed my video link .. there was a point where the plane did not obey the controls .. I do not know why but I picked up the remote and he suddenly turned around .. It could be that I had blockages, wind, do not know ...

Then again, he insisted, turn right, where I lost the video .. The video came back and has gone again but I had this last point was recorded at ... And who knows where he went after it ...

In any case, I packed my gear, I approached the point which was close to where I lost the video ...

I stood there on the car roof with directional antenna pointed to all the directions ... and looking for a video signal .. nothing ... After that in the evening, I noticed the receiver was tuned on the wrong channel ...

I decided to add throttle and listen ... I heard him!!
I moved toward and over .. And every time I thought he was running away ... i was afraid someone took it ..
Cars .. Tractor .. Air hammer ... A crop duster ..
All this did not help me to listen to the engine ...

But in the end ....
On the corner of the roof, between two villas .. I found it .. Bit broken but I found it!!

The distance between where I heard it the first time or where I found it really .. Is 400 meters of earthworks, roads, cars, motorcycles and a crop duster ...

I have no explanation for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJWzCDh89I
Well at least this crash was better than the one you had in the Dead Sea.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Man, you got real lucky landing on that roof!!! That's the only part that bothers me about flying over populated areas. Something happens and the plane goes down and hurts someone. The same thing happened to me last week but I was in a large field, lost video feed and plane came crashing down.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:55 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,899 Posts
Yap ...
I was NOT flying over the city ... It was not my intention to get there .. I was over the fields..

Yes i have my phone number on the plane ..

Yes ! The dead sea was baaad

Thanks guys.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:25 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Last call, 2826 SK3 1240kv on this plane, yay or nay? I had to replace the stock motor, the prop adapter was way out of balance and absolutely unusable. This is all I have. with a 6x4 prop, can it be done? What about a 1400kv motor? (Sunnysky 22xx)
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Last call, 2826 SK3 1240kv on this plane, yay or nay? I had to replace the stock motor, the prop adapter was way out of balance and absolutely unusable. This is all I have. with a 6x4 prop, can it be done? What about a 1400kv motor? (Sunnysky 22xx)
I dont think thats fast enough for a 6x4...

I just ordered an RCTimer 2200kv earlier today that I plan on running with 6x4, it's only a $12 motor so it's not a big loss if it's a crappy motor :P
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:41 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Money isn't really the issue here though. I just hate waiting, one thing breaks, that's 2 weeks without flying. You get a crappy motor, that's another 2 weeks down the drain. Maybe I should check with the local hobby store and be done with it.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:45 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Would an EMAX CF2805 work on it? 2840kv. 175 watts.

It's the cheapest they have but also the only motor in the 2000+ kv range that won't break the bank. They have Emax and Axi motors, so it's cheap or ridiculously expensive.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:13 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Man, you got real lucky landing on that roof!!! That's the only part that bothers me about flying over populated areas. Something happens and the plane goes down and hurts someone. The same thing happened to me last week but I was in a large field, lost video feed and plane came crashing down.
and yes ....
i had mega luck !!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
NAY on the engine choice. Too small.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax