HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
i think i might get rid of fpv cam and use the gopro out feed. what sort of battery life you getting from gopro when using it as fpv cam and recording?
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,183 Posts
Successful maiden of my Sky Surfer minus pan tilt until my replacement BEC comes in. Flew for about 14 minutes within 1 km high and low. This thing flys like a cement truck. Had to belly takeoff by sliding on the dirt. Nice power on 6x4 APC even up here at 7000ft.
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:02 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Successful maiden of my Sky Surfer minus pan tilt until my replacement BEC comes in. Flew for about 14 minutes within 1 km high and low. This thing flys like a cement truck. Had to belly takeoff by sliding on the dirt. Nice power on 6x4 APC even up here at 7000ft.
Video...

Other then that my plane is flying well Having issues with vibrations however, it's not so bad for flying generally but my FY31AP tells me too many vibes at about 45% throttle!!! Not good
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:07 PM
Ireland, County Louth, Dundalk
Joined Aug 2010
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801 View Post
i think i might get rid of fpv cam and use the gopro out feed. what sort of battery life you getting from gopro when using it as fpv cam and recording?
I havent tested how long gopro lats, but it will be ok for an hour recording. I did 5 batteries without chaging go pro. Should be enouth. Anyway, u can see over your video system gopro osd, so u will know wen battery is low.
LiutaS is offline Find More Posts by LiutaS
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:59 PM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,183 Posts
No video unfortunately. I was not recording when I thought I was... I would have loved to have saved my first botched FPV hand launch right into a nose dive ejecting the video pod 15 ft! I decided to try and take off on the belly. I guess I was too nose heavy or not trimmed up enough. Going to have to adjust that. One thing for sure is my packing tape covering made this thing bullet proof.
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:22 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
Maiden the SkySurfer today .. just cruising and sloping.. very nice plane.. takes off without any problem and the 2650mAh LiPo lasts forever.. next step: Install all the FPV hardware. But gotta get a 50A ESC or something like that.. ESC got pretty hot - using a Dynam ESC.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
My Dynam 40a esc gets very hot also. It cut out on me a couple of weeks ago and destroyed a plane!!! Won't be using Dynam anymore. I know use Thunderbird esc.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:42 AM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,886 Posts
I use only turnigy bulletproofe.
The red ones.

They indeed bp.

I use 20 amps with a burst of 30.

No worries here ..
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:43 AM
Ireland, County Louth, Dundalk
Joined Aug 2010
115 Posts
Im using 25A esc, works well.
LiutaS is offline Find More Posts by LiutaS
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:29 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
Yeah my Dynam 30A gets pretty hot, too.. anyway so far so good .. tomorrow is FPV maiden with the Bixler!
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:13 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
I'm using turnigy plush 30A with the popular turnigy outrunner, not using its onboard bec. Mount on top of fuse, stone cold everytime I land.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:42 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Ugh, great, so the motor shaft on my Bixler is bent. I spooled up the motor and noticed that the prop adapter sitting on it is way out of balance and swings from side to side when you throttle up. The whole thing vibrates like crazy. DAMNIT.

What to do what to do... Suggestions?

I assume it's a high-kv motor, so my SK3 2826 1280kv motors won't be enough. I also have a bunch of Sunnysky 1400kv motors I could put on this. Question is, will that be enough to make this thing fly with a 6x4 prop?
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:49 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Ugh, great, so the motor shaft on my Bixler is bent. I spooled up the motor and noticed that the prop adapter sitting on it is way out of balance and swings from side to side when you throttle up. The whole thing vibrates like crazy. DAMNIT.

What to do what to do... Suggestions?

I assume it's a high-kv motor, so my SK3 2826 1280kv motors won't be enough. I also have a bunch of Sunnysky 1400kv motors I could put on this. Question is, will that be enough to make this thing fly with a 6x4 prop?
I use a 1400kv with a 6 X 4. Although its an EASYSTAR so no real difference.
AUW with FPV is 920gm.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:59 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
What motors are you guys using that's making a 30A ESC get so hot? My (3rd) Sky Surfer I built just for hauling a GoPro around is equipped with a 2200kv inrunner, 6x4 prop and a Dynam 30A which runs very cool even while mounted inside the fuse. This setup only pulls 210w@17A. I do have a couple of air scoops installed though.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:06 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I use a 1400kv with a 6 X 4. Although its an EASYSTAR so no real difference.
AUW with FPV is 920gm.
Huh, not bad. Altho I just found out I have to use a 1240kv motor instead and a 6x4 prop. If I can remove the motor mount that is. Whoever thought hot-gluing the mount to the foam was a good idea should be fired.

(I have to use the Sunnysky motors on my quad due to unforseen issues with my Tiger motors, ugh.)
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck