HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:30 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
What's the cord coming out of the back of your plane?? Or is that an antenna??
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:40 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
What's the cord coming out of the back of your plane?? Or is that an antenna??
plug for video TX, non-fpv test flying without the expensive easy to damage stuff .

Tomorrow while at the field I will take lots of pics, and I am going to at least attach my 808 cam to the camera pan, I have my radio programmed to use rudder stick as pan control, and I can turn it off and on, as well as turn the rudder off and on, and use a trim tab as well :P so I will do atleast one good flight tomorrow with the pan synced to rudder and see how it turns out.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:53 AM
Ireland, County Louth, Dundalk
Joined Aug 2010
115 Posts
again the weather was great, lunched my bixler in the air
Surprised with new antennas for fpv. works really good on long distances
Midlands coast. IRELAND (6 min 57 sec)
LiutaS is offline Find More Posts by LiutaS
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:49 AM
0x46 0x50 0x56
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,176 Posts
I spent 3 hours tearing through my SS trying to figure out why I have an intermittent glitch that is not powering up and initializing the ESC when I plug in the battery. I would touch some wires and it would jump to life. I replaced the stock ESC thinking it had a short and with the new ESC it started doing it again. I am suspecting the problem is my DragonLink Rx and/or antenna. I have two DL Rx's and the other one is in my Slow Stick with 5.8ghz video. I wanted to maiden the surfer this weekend but not until I figure out the problem. I do have a Corona 8ch 72mhz Rx on the way that I could put in the Slow Stick since it is a short range platform and use my good DL Rx in the Surfer.
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:51 AM
KK4CCD
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Apr 2011
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiutaS View Post
Smooth video! Nice.
avi8tor0 is offline Find More Posts by avi8tor0
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:19 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,382 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1BfZ6-5xQ
Great video - scenery, music, editing....well done
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:32 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
What kind of antennas are you using??
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1BfZ6-5xQ

what weight is your setup with gopro?
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Bixler Test Flight (Trying to get FY31AP setup) (2 min 12 sec)

A test flight from today, my 808 cam keeps cutting off after a few minutes so it's only like 2 minutes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Beeping Bixler

This afternoon I strapped on my Kodak Zi8 Camera onto the Bixler and tossed it out for a flight. When I got home and looked at the footage I noticed some beeps coming from either the ESC or the RX.
At one point i lost control a little bit and luckily recovered! Just wanted to know if anyone knows if the beeping is due to being out of range, and if so wouldn't it make more sense to beep on the TX so you can hear it and not on the RX.

Here is a screenshot of Google maps that shows the approx distance was about 551m/1690ft . I am using the stock Hobby King TX and RX and read somewhere that the range on that is about 2000 meters in ideal conditions. I don't think I had "ideal" conditions but if the stated range is 2000m and I only got 500m is something wrong?

http://youtu.be/zTDt1P_aS38?hd=1
Airphotog is offline Find More Posts by Airphotog
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airphotog View Post
This afternoon I strapped on my Kodak Zi8 Camera onto the Bixler and tossed it out for a flight. When I got home and looked at the footage I noticed some beeps coming from either the ESC or the RX.
At one point i lost control a little bit and luckily recovered! Just wanted to know if anyone knows if the beeping is due to being out of range, and if so wouldn't it make more sense to beep on the TX so you can hear it and not on the RX.

Here is a screenshot of Google maps that shows the approx distance was about 551m/1690ft . I am using the stock Hobby King TX and RX and read somewhere that the range on that is about 2000 meters in ideal conditions. I don't think I had "ideal" conditions but if the stated range is 2000m and I only got 500m is something wrong?

http://youtu.be/zTDt1P_aS38?hd=1
Flying FPV? What frequency for video? 900mhz and 1.3mhz will cause a lot of interference and really lower your 2.4ghz range for RC, especially if you don't have an LC filter :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Not FPV as in video tx/rx this is a mini hd camera that is strapped on to the Bixler and flown LOS
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Not FPV as in video tx/rx this is a mini hd camera that is strapped on to the Bixler and flown LOS
You are flying in a somewhat populated area too which can have an effect. I would get a better radio :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:55 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
LOS at 1690 ft. Wow you have better eye site than me.

Does the ESC or Receiver manual say anything about warning sounds or beeps?

Maybe you were loosing connection and the beeps were from re-connecting.

As NoCalMatCat states. Something may have been interfering with the receiver signal.

I just watched the video and the low beeps sound like a low voltage warning I have heard before. Did you measure you battery voltage after you got back?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Apr 06, 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added lo bat volt warning question
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
I measured the voltage on the pack and I had 11.54v on the pack after that flight. I may edit and post the video of me loosing control and doing a loop while trying to regain orientation on that last clip. I didn't realize how far I was until I measured it when I got back home. Either way i had to check my pants when it landed because i thought for sure I was gonna loose it in the lake!

As for getting a better radio that is all in the works. This is my first ever RC plane and after hours of practice on RealFlight Sim and a few crashes on the Bixler I think i have a grip on flying this thing. Next step is FPV gear and a better radio system. maybe a 72mhz.. reccomendations?