Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:38 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,821 Posts
SkySurfer just arrived from ToySonics.com and its V4 ... grab it for $49 until they out of stock!
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:39 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooksey View Post
Is there a better way then super glueing the elevator and aileron horns on . Two of mine broke loose the other day . I glued back but now I dont have any confidence in them.
I had the elevator horn come off twice (slow learner?) and landed OK both times. Originally Gorilla glue once, hotglue second time. I've since glued (hotglue third time) and wired it on, the wire looping through the foam and a small plastic backing plate on the top side. Plastic plate made from a scrap of plastic milk bottle (Coke bottle plastic would also do).

Also I've replaced the hinge, that is, cut away the foam hinge and put on tape hinges. These will probably be replaced with plastic hinges when they arrive with the next parts shipment (somewhere between HK and here). The foam hinge puts a lot of stress on the horn, hence the replacement.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:42 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
My hands are a little too shaky and my soldering iron doesn't have a fine enough tip to get in THAT tight, I had to use a 60x to 100x microscope to even see how the pins where sitting in the connector let alone try to solder it!
Try on the opposite side of PCB, not in the plug. That way you can still use plug in future if you get another cable. After you solder it on, cover it all in hot glue, stops wires bending and breaking and possible shorts
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:50 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Try on the opposite side of PCB, not in the plug. That way you can still use plug in future if you get another cable. After you solder it on, cover it all in hot glue, stops wires bending and breaking and possible shorts
I thought about it but it's still just too tight for me to solder, and like I said my soldering iron needs a new tip, it's about as pointy as the end that screws to the base is :P.

On a plus side she is all put back together!!! This time with the addition of FY31AP and Hornet OSD. Sofar all I have been able to do was a control surface check, I was going to start programming the radio for the AP and OSD but I realized my radio battery was down to 2.8v per cell, so I had to stop while it charged.

I need to re-weight it all up, the repair's alone I am sure added a little weight, + OSD + AP + GPS, but I also removed a little bit of weight, mainly my old FPV harness since I didn't need it anymore (good 2 feet of wires with a inline ferrite core box, 2 RCA connectors, XT60 with electrical running for vTX and cam), some random other things. I am also going with a different battery config this time too, which by itself will save 50 grams of weight, which atleast makes up for the addition of AP and OSD , and give me an extra 5 to 10 minutes of flight hopefully .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:54 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
SkySurfer just arrived from ToySonics.com and its V4 ... grab it for $49 until they out of stock!
That's a good deal since Banana Hobby charges $10 more for the 'brushless upgrade', and they're out of stock on the kit version.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Ok. just had a failed test flight... FY31AP seemed to want to fight my piloting, not sure why because I had it set to off... was trying to do a trimming fight. Anyway now I need to fix my nose, not too bad though, and figure out why it was trying to stabilize itself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:38 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Ok. just had a failed test flight... FY31AP seemed to want to fight my piloting, not sure why because I had it set to off... was trying to do a trimming fight. Anyway now I need to fix my nose, not too bad though, and figure out why it was trying to stabilize itself.
Make sure all your control surfaces are going the right direction when in stable mode...that could really jack up trying to fly it. Rolling left should correct to roll right and so forth. The rudder is the hardest one to see.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:33 AM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Simply Amazing video!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiutaS View Post
finally done some video from My bixler fpv flights in Ireland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpdaVHuxaA
Great vid LiutaS!!!
czorzella is offline Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I have two small things left to wrap up and I can maiden my SS FPV this weekend. It came out at 33.7 oz AUW with Nanotech 3s 2200 lipo and FPV gear. Wondering how it will fly at this weight.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Last edited by cactus; Apr 05, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Mine weights 1.1kg without a gopro - give it a good throw. seems to fly alright...needs power in turns. with a headwind seems to just fly nice. i really want to mount a gopro but i fear that at 1.4-1.5kg it will break it in two
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
Make sure all your control surfaces are going the right direction when in stable mode...that could really jack up trying to fly it. Rolling left should correct to roll right and so forth. The rudder is the hardest one to see.
Yeah my first test flight was a failure because I had all of my switch channels 1 off from what the radio was, so when I thought the AP was off it was actually in stabilize mode (because of the switch issue), and of course all the control surfaces where reversed... Let's just say it did something like a hammer head maneuver but on take off :P

I have all of the stab movements in proper orientation now, however I have to face the AP backwards as the elevator pot is frozen and I stripped it trying to turn it... I don't know if this will mess with the RTH or not...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I fly my plane with a gopro and it weighs 3lbs!!! The plane will not split just by adding a gopro to it.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:20 AM
Ireland, County Louth, Dundalk
Joined Aug 2010
115 Posts
as you seen my video, it can fly very well
Of course you will feel difference with that kind of Wight.
LiutaS is offline Find More Posts by LiutaS
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Ok time for an update on my status...

Got to do a second test flight today... turned out my first test flight I had all of my switches programmed 1 channel off in the radio, causing the AP stabilize mode to be ON, which coincidentally all control surfaces where reversed in the AP, that didn't go well as my last post states .

The resulting damage of the crash yesterday was a clean break of the nose, which didn't take me all that long to fix, and also gave me a chance to better mount some of the electronics anyway.

The second test flight went very well, though it was a bit too windy for my tastes and with very turbulent wind. However she flew very well and required very little trimming. Interestingly she seemed to want to gain altitude very easily, I don't know if it was just the winds + thermals or what, but even gliding she wanted to go straight UP even with the nose down slightly. One thing I did not like is that my brand mew 2700mah battery I flew with (was fully charged right before), had a voltage of 3.83 per cell and I only flew for about 9 minutes, with maybe 5 minutes total of doing tests on ground... When I charged it back up it took in about 1900mah... I am worried this battery is not very good...

I quickly discovered a MAJOR problem... My FY31AP had stuck pots on the elevator and rudder gain controls... which is quite bad because not only is it gain adjust, but reversing too! In many attempts to get the elevator and rudder pots where I wanted them, much stripping had occurred. I am really quite bummed that a $200 piece of electronic which has never even been used yet has been so crippled simply because of sticky pots... At either rate I did manage to eventually get Rudder where I wanted it, however elevator I did not. So this brought me to some surgery I had to do... Reverse the elevator servo...

Wasn't too hard but did require some surgery for sure. Since I had no way to reverse the servo other then mount it upside down, I had to cut a new servo arm hole and trim the foam to get the servo to fit with the horn higher. I relocated the pushrod tube so that it had good travel and reached properly.

Next I reversed elevator in my radio, and then voila, now the elevator stabilization is now working properly, which makes all 3 control surfaces working properly!

I have the plane all setup for test flights tomorrow. I need to do a manual flight to make sure my elevator is good and trimmed, and make sure the plane itself is good and trimmed, then I am going to do the stabilization tests. Assuming all goes well with all of that I will then do circle and RTH tests.

I can't FPV quite yet simply because the connector for my camera broke, and I need to order a new one, the only thing holding me up. I did however just do a full ground benchtest of the OSD, and everything seems to be working great. One thing I noticed is the bottom of the info is getting cut off, I really hope having a cam feed to it will fix that! I can't wait to hook up the camera to test the Pan too! I already bench tested the camera pan and it works great, but I want to see what it will look like from the camera .

I also did some amp draw tests since it was conveniently there... looks like 5amps on around %40, and about 10 amps at 60%, and WOT at 20 amps, with good throttle management and assuming this 2700mah battery is giving me 2700mah I shouldn't have a problem getting 30 to 40 minute flights .

Well assuming the wind is good in the morning, I have a 1x2700mah, 2x2200mah, and 2x1300mah batteries, I am ready to do some flying I even programmed in a full set of waypoints around my flying field to test out navigation :P.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by NorCalMatCat; Apr 06, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:59 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,821 Posts
Just finished my SkySurfer .. going to bed. Good night!
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi