HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:07 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801 View Post
Forgot to ask, is it normal for the Bixler to climb hard when throttle on, i am struggling to get a nice level flight. My CG is over spar
If trimmed and balanced very well, I find that this tendency nearly disappears.
First thing is check your thrust angle is not too extreme, if stock you shouldn't need to worry much about this.
Then balance so CG is 60mm.
When trimming, I start with glide, so its a gentle descend, not porpoising and trying to hold altitude and flying slow.
Then final adjustment is made at about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle, which should only need a few clicks if any. Should fly level from 1/4 to full throttle.
Remember, trimming to fly level while gliding is pointless and impossible, as you aren't powering to gain altitude. Took me a while to figure this out
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Ye maybe I am trying to make it act like my gas powered edge plane, it flies level no problem but as you say trying to make it do something it isnt designed to do. Around 40% power it will stay steady enough. Will try move the CG forward a bit and see how it flies from there.

Going to build the PVC launch ramp as on calm wind days its proving near disaster to launch.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=33639&page=2

Good idea or would it be too much for this wee plane?
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:11 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Remember, trimming to fly level while gliding is pointless and impossible, as you aren't powering to gain altitude. Took me a while to figure this out
Eh? Hang on, how can it be pointless? I suppose it depends on if you want it to be a high speed powered bullet, or a gliding thermal hunter.
If you have it trimmed as the former, then what will happen when your battery runs dry and you have to glide home?
I think you are confusing people that maybe want it to fly as the latter, as I do. That is why I trim for the glide and is not pointless or impossible.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:02 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Eh? Hang on, how can it be pointless? I suppose it depends on if you want it to be a high speed powered bullet, or a gliding thermal hunter.
If you have it trimmed as the former, then what will happen when your battery runs dry and you have to glide home?
I think you are confusing people that maybe want it to fly as the latter, as I do. That is why I trim for the glide and is not pointless or impossible.
I believe what he is saying is you cannot make a gliding plane stay level, that IS impossible, if it's gliding it's loosing altitude, so no point in trying to TRIM it to STAY LEVEL because if it's gliding and you are trying to trim it level it's only going to start porpoising.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I believe what he is saying is you cannot make a gliding plane stay level, that IS impossible, if it's gliding it's loosing altitude, so no point in trying to TRIM it to STAY LEVEL because if it's gliding and you are trying to trim it level it's only going to start porpoising.
Ah right. I think I misunderstood. It's the way they say it.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:06 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Yep exactly no thrust means no altitude gain. Well, we will ignore thermals etc for trimming
If you trim plane for an even descent with no thrust, when flying through a thermal, it should fly level or climb if thermal is powerful enough.

disclaimer: I am inexperienced at thermalling lol
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:02 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
Waiting for the SkyWalker 1650mm to get back in stock .. in the meantime I just ordered the SkySurfer from ToySonics (http://toysonics.com/sky-surfer-4ch-...ess-motor.html) - not bad for $49 with motor.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:29 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I just got the call, the person who has my lost bix is bringing it back tomorrow!!! It took him a month to get around to looking in the plane and finding my name and address tag!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:32 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
Very nice! At least you get it back
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:58 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
I have 4 of these planes and none of them do that????
Late to the party, but me too, except I have just one Bixler. It actually doesn't change horizontal attitude with changes in power except at the two extremes. No power it points down slightly into a nice glide. Full power it points down slightly too, driven by the downward angle of the shaft I would guess. I all other throttle settings it flies straight and level. I has to do with wing/elevator/motor shaft incidence and COG.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Yep exactly no thrust means no altitude gain. Well, we will ignore thermals etc for trimming
If you trim plane for an even descent with no thrust, when flying through a thermal, it should fly level or climb if thermal is powerful enough.
But even if maintaining or gaining altitude in a thermal, it will still be pointing down a little to maintain forward speed.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:09 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
But even if maintaining or gaining altitude in a thermal, it will still be pointing down a little to maintain forward speed.
Yes of course.
I have also decided that trimming FPV is very easy, usually I struggle to fine tune rudder LOS, but FPV is much better
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:16 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Glad to hear your getting your plane back.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
I just got the call, the person who has my lost bix is bringing it back tomorrow!!! It took him a month to get around to looking in the plane and finding my name and address tag!
That's great news. It's funny that someone would pick up an RC plane and just not thoroughly check it out. I wonder if he fly's RC or just arbitrarily picks up stuff from the roadway without checking to see if it is worth anything or is dangerous.

Well whatever his reason's at least he is honest to return something to it's rightful owner.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Wow! I think in addition to my name and phone number, I would ask that they unplug the lipo too!
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus