SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Honestly, the existing rod has snapped very easily for several people. For FPV, it's been recommended in this thread to stiffen up the tail to give less 'wobble' - if your ARF comes split into two, then I would glue 2 rods down each side internally, and a single long rod in the groove outside (3-4mm dia each). That would be my choice, but others may disagree.

On the up side, the bonus to the hollow tail is that you can carry more kit inside
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
I wouldnt trust that tude they use in the wings! its thin! I put a solid tube inside mine and its far better. On a windy day the wing bounces around like mad with stock tube
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:59 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
If you only need two V-grooves and two 3mm CF rods on the tail section then I'll do it. That should be simple enough. And if my fuselage comes in two halves I'll fix that too. I bought some foam safe glue along with the plane, I'll use that to put it together if have to.

Anything else is overkill if you ask me. I know this is RCGroups and people want to squeeze every ounce of power and performance out of these cheap planes, it's still a lot of work for something that costs 50 bucks. If I had known this I would've just gone for the AXN which is already reinforced and seems to perform well in all videos I've seen of it. (Especially over at youtube.com/xjet where they fly these things ALL the time and really abuse them) What steered me towards the Bixler was the roomy fuselage, plywood FPV platform and the lower shipping weight.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
People do fly them stock without issues, but this being the FPV thread you'll find a lot of mods are recommended to deal with the extra weight of kit and the stresses that brings.

I'm only doing a rod-mod on mine, as I don't intend to use her for full FPV just yet
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:22 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Makes sense I suppose. Altho my FPV gear doesn't weigh THAT much. Small camera, 5.8ghz Tx and all the required wires. I'll just use the main battery to power all that. Works fine on my quad so it should work fine here too.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:28 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Even with osd/rth added with fpv gear, mine still comes in at less then a 1kg flying weight.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
I wonder how people launch it with a GoPro as well as all other GPS, OSD, DL, batteries, etc. Seems with the FPV gear alone it definately needs a better throw to get it airborn in calm wind days.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Yes, you need to give it a nice toss into the wind at ful power with all the gear on it and a gopro. I just redid my plane and moved all the electronics to the middle of the plane below the wing. That leaves the gopro and batteries up front by themselves. Still heavy at 2.5lbs, but getting the cg just right is a lot easier. When I had all the equipment in the nose, I had to add a lot of weight to the tail to get my cg, which made the plane even heavier. I have also moved my servos to the back of the plane near the tail.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
With my gps at rear of plane, dl antenna at rear, osd in middle, DL receiver in middle of plane, camera at hatch and Video TX at the hatch, baro and airspeed up in nose my batteries still have to be just infront of the spar to balance. not sure how people manage to get it to work with batteries in front. will try gopro over wing spar as well when its windy to make it easier to launch
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
But with the go pro up top, wouldn't you see too much of the plane in the video?? I don't have any problems with mine in the cockpit ara. Balances just right.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
My fpv camera is sitting in the cockpit area with the VTX. i may be forced to build a mount to raise it up above the camera?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Yes replace the stock prop with a 6X4.
If you change the ESC there could be some soldering required. Also a programming card saves a load of hassle. But when you get another ESC check that they do a card for it.
Turngy cards do work on some other makes. But check first.
Some people use arrow shafts as a replacement spar. Steel is too heavy.
I embedded CF strips into the wings and secured with CA. That is a very strong solution!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I have my vtx mounted on the back wall of the cockpit. I may move mine up to the top of the wing area though.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:19 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
The HK ARF fuse comes unglued, and has the groove already in the fuse bottom (even if it was glued together it wouldn't matter, because the groove for the CF rod is on the outside and not the inside anyway).

Honestly I wouldn't even do aerobatics on a stock Bix without CF reinforcements, let alone FPV. I flew with no extra tail re-enforcements with no problems however.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Did you get your Skywalker from Ali yet?? I just ordered the new version from bevrc today. They finally came back in stock. I was considering the X8 wing, but realistically I don't have the space to fly something that big.