SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
talking to a veteran RC flyer friend he figures the spar did not break at altitude. Instead I must have caused a bad dive/spin and not reacted correctly with down elevator. It is true, I was giving her hard up elevator all the way down, and this flight was mostly a bit nose heavy and I was too lazy to land and re adjust the battery.

Still, the Bixler had a very tiny single spar in the OEM package, and many have broken them. I had planned to put in a larger main spar when I upgraded the motoe/ESC and prop. Now I am not sure if I will revive her, replace her or just forget about her. I really like the calm nature of the BIx/Easystar for FPV, though. I have 3 other FPV planes (Mini skywalker, EPP FPV and building a Zephyr2 wing).
I would repair her. The Bix is a great plane to have fun with. It is a good platform for FPV, a relaxing evening flight or it can be used for teaching a newbie the art of RC.

The other planes have their places (I'm building my own ZII) but I will always have my SkySurfer or some version of it. I really like this plane.

Vince
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I still haven't gotten my ZII in the air yet.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
I still haven't gotten my ZII in the air yet.
I am seriously thinking about a bungy ramp. A friend mentioned he had one that he doesn't use much anymore.

Actually that type of launcher should work for any type of plane without wheels especially heavy ones with FPV gear.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
That sounds promising. Let me know. If you don't get it maybe I will.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I am seriously thinking about a bungy ramp. A friend mentioned he had one that he doesn't use much anymore.

Actually that type of launcher should work for any type of plane without wheels especially heavy ones with FPV gear.
I have seen a lot of FPV videos of people using bungy launchers for belly lander FPV planes.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:43 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
So people say that the ARF plane (Which is on the way to me) is unsuitable for FPV.. How so? I've read a few pages on here and there are a few useful mod guides here and there. I'll reinforce some things, remove the washers and use a bigger battery etc. I'm also replacing the prop and ESC, everything else is stock.

I've seen plenty of Bixler FPV videos on Youtube and some have made very few changes to their Bixler. Do you REALLY need to change that much if all you want to do is put a small camera and 5.8ghz tx on the nose?

Also, is the fuselage on the Bixler reinforced? As far as I know the AXN has some kind of rod going down the length of the fuselage which makes it nice and stiff. Surely Bixler has that too?
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Last edited by WiseDuck; Mar 28, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:04 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
So people say that the ARF plane (Which is on the way to me) is unsuitable for FPV.. How so? I've read a few pages on here and there are a few useful mod guides here and there. I'll reinforce some things, remove the washers and use a bigger battery etc. I'm also replacing the prop and ESC, everything else is stock.

I've seen plenty of Bixler FPV videos on Youtube and some have made very few changes to their Bixler. Do you REALLY need to change that much if all you want to do is put a small camera and 5.8ghz tx on the nose?

Also, is the fuselage on the Bixler reinforced? As far as I know the AXN has some kind of rod going down the length of the fuselage which makes it nice and stiff. Surely Bixler has that too?
Fuse has no reinforcements, at minimum you should put a cf rod in the fuse and one inside the stock wing spar. Other then that you should be fine just keep g's down.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:07 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
is the fuselage on the Bixler reinforced? As far as I know the AXN has some kind of rod going down the length of the fuselage which makes it nice and stiff. Surely Bixler has that too?
Seems to depend on the version you get. Mine is a V1, and has a groove down the exterior belly for a 35/72mhz antenna tube, which can easily take a CF rod instead.

As my system is 35mhz, I won't be using CF, but will be using a fairly narrow flexible fibreglass rod - working on a bellypan to cover it all afterwards.
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:22 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Alrighty then, what size are we talking about here? I don't have any CF rods but I can probably find some nearby. I do have 10mm square tubes though, are those too large for the fuselage?

I probably won't bother reinforcing it if it comes glued together already, I'd rather not cut the fuselage open. I would most likely fail and just end up with a crooked fuselage or something.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
10mm is way too big - around 3mm should be enough to follow the belly's curve

If it's already glued (which I don't think it is - but I bought mine as a kit) then you can either hot knife or craft knife cut a 'V' notch along the belly (melted plastic is stronger than cut plastic)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:37 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I guess I have to drop by the local RC shop then, They have 3mm rods in stock. Now, 3mm solid rod or a cf tube? Does it matter which one you pick?

I ordered the ARF version.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Wait until it arrives before buying anything - I think some versions don't have the groove (check page 1 of the main Bixler thread).

My own choice would be tube rather than solid, for more flex - depends on what quality of CF the shop stocks really! (some can be really poor quality, CF wrapped around fibreglass)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:23 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Alrighty, I ordered this one from Hobbyking and it says on the first page here that's the V1. One more thing, the plastic rod in the wing, what's the inside diameter of that one? Might as well reinforce that one too with carbon fiber.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:31 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Alrighty, I ordered this one from Hobbyking and it says on the first page here that's the V1. One more thing, the plastic rod in the wing, what's the inside diameter of that one? Might as well reinforce that one too with carbon fiber.
With the V1, you'll probably need a lot of CF rods! The tail end has zero internal strengthening, and will need a rod or three down it's length internally as it will be flexible otherwise.

I can't remember the internal dia of the stock rod I'm afraid. It's mentioned a few times on the main Bix thread (a recent post there mentioned 3 CF rods inserted inside the stock tube)

Have a look here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=2
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:40 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Aren't we overdoing this a bit? Because I've seen plenty of videos where this thing flies just fine without any mods at all. I don't intend to push this one too hard, I'm just putting a camera and video transmitter on it and eventually a GoPro too. It seems to work just fine for most people.

But anyhow, I'll move this forward anyways, if I want to strengthen the tail section, what size should I shoot for? Do I just cut a V-groove and glue the rod to that? Putting one INSIDE these thin control surfaces is probably too difficult for me.