HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing View Post
holly crap! I'm gonna have a Popeye arm if i fly this alot. i gotta toss it like a javelin to get it in the air. it was a very calm day, but holy crap. it flies like other powered gliders i have. it wants ta climb on just over half throttle. i'll try moving the battery forward today. i love it though. :-) headed out now for flight #3.
Welcome to the club! ;-)
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:51 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Why I had put wheels on mine
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:02 AM
0x46 0x50 0x56
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,176 Posts
My sky surer FPV project is coming along slowly. No way I will be ready to maiden this weekend, too much left to do. I will be taking the FPV Slow Stick up for a few laps at the club field.

I am covering my surfer with 3M Transpore tape over the carbon rods and on the front and bottom and then covering most of the plane with colored packing tape. So far it is working out great and not adding any noticeable weight. This tape sticks to this foam well and I did not need to pre-coat the foam with 3M 77 like I have to do with EPP. I have some smoothing to do on the nose and then on to the pan tilt pod.
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:25 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
They always look so nice until the first crash!!!
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:55 AM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
TA - DA !!!

shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:51 AM
Lifelongflyer
United States, NM, Silver City
Joined May 2005
60 Posts
ouch

ouch - you win the nose job contest!
patfly is offline Find More Posts by patfly
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Funny, the SkySurfers break in exactly the same places!!!! Although a couple of mine have looked much worse!!! I just rebuilt my fpv plane and used a 2 liter soda bottle top to reform my nose because it was completely blown apart!!!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaprap View Post
TA - DA !!!

So where is the 'after' picture?
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Vince,
I actually managed to salvage most of the nose, rebuilt what I could using gorilla glue, and then found a way to use a 2 liter soda bottle to fix the remainder of the nose. I know have a rebuilt, streamlined plane that is resilient to nose damage. I may have to purposely sacrifice a plane to try it out though.
Well whats a little pain to go along with the fun of flying.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I already know how to fly. I don't have the luxury of timing flight opportunities with ideal conditions, so if augmenting my planes to expand the flight envelop to less than ideal conditions get me more flying time then gyros will be on everything I own so I can fly in higher winds and reduce the pilot workload. I don't feel the need for autopilot. Two very different things.
Actually the "Co-pilot" that i was referring to uses infrared readings to determine "which way is up". If you are in a wild tip stall or out of control due to windy conditions just let go of the stick and it will automatically take control to get the plane reoriented properly. For the most part you do all the flying. It is a just a safety net in case of disaster.

For $60 it is a relatively cheap way of saving a plane with very expensive cameras from drilling into the ground.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:35 AM
0x46 0x50 0x56
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Actually the "Co-pilot" that i was referring to uses infrared readings to determine "which way is up". If you are in a wild tip stall or out of control due to windy conditions just let go of the stick and it will automatically take control to get the plane reoriented properly. For the most part you do all the flying. It is a just a safety net in case of disaster.

For $60 it is a relatively cheap way of saving a plane with very expensive cameras from drilling into the ground.

Vince
Nice!
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:24 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
So I now have the Hornet OSD installed but it doesn't show anything in the goggles except NO VIDEO INPUT. I have it hooked to my Gopro running through the Hornet and then to my goggles. I can see the video through the goggles but the Hornet isn't seeing anything??? Is anyone familiar with this OSD?? I have the FY31 also. But does that need to be hooked up as well to get it to work??
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaprap View Post
TA - DA !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
So where is the 'after' picture?
Well Two hours ago I took off all the Tessa tape that held the fuse together

Than I used a hair dryer to sort of straighten the smashed parts and HK brandless CA with their accelerator to glue the cracks and broken pieces.

Than I reattached the fuse with Tessa tape, and filled the small holes with hot glue (Don't have Gorilla yet, it's on the mail...)

I'm glad the wings are unharmed, I use a full 6mm carbon rod instead of the thin tube they supply.

Now I need to buy a new camera and check the OSD and video transmitter for glitches.
shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
i planted mine yesterday, and managed to break the prop. whats the stock prop size? do i dare go bigger? more pitch?

OK what went wrong? the day before the lawn dart episode she flew great till i clipped a wing tip on the ground. nothing more than i popped the control horn off a aileron. fixed that and went flying the next day. gave her a healthy heave into the air. dipped down then started ta climb. i banked right leveled off then another right to bring her back towards me. she rolled over and straight down nose first. i had no control. Mr gravity won. got to her, and the light on the rx was a steady read. no loss of signal. oh ya dx7 radio. orange rx with satellite rx. separate bec. stripped 1 aileron servo. beside dumb thumbs what could have caused it to play lawn dart? I'm at a total loss. i know i tried to pull out of the dive, but had no control. at this point i gotta say pilot error, but i know i tried to pull out, but a constant red light on the rx, and a separate bec says it had ta be me. ant and all ideas would be great.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
OK whats the fix to make this bird fly level under power? i hate having to hold some down elevator to fly level. moving the battery as far forward as i could did nothing. what next? can i mix in some down elevator with throttle? if so what would the mix be? new to making mixes in my dx7.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing