Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:50 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
Dudes :-)
I am happy to inform that sphinxer is up and gliding very wrll :-)

Test flight was great !
Is this a replacement or did you rebuild the Canyon Buster?
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:33 PM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
Let's say ... there may be more glue then bixler in this very plane :-)

No replacements. Everything original :-)
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
Let's say ... there may be more glue then bixler in this very plane :-)

No replacements. Everything original :-)
Pic!
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Sunset FPV - March 2nd, 2012 (11 min 45 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:17 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Just got out to 1km with the 5.8GHz gear on my bixler. Very happy
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Nice! I had 2 great flights today, I didn't fly any father then maybe 0.7km at most. On the second flight today though (at sunset) I had pretty awesome video signal (video above), my morning flight was a lot noisier, I think flying after the factories I fly near are closed make a big difference.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:38 AM
Lifelongflyer
United States, NM, Silver City
Joined May 2005
60 Posts
noob question

As I begin to fly more true FPV video vs LOS, I realize that it could be easy to outfly the range of signals on my tx/rec on both the plane and the FPV. And either could cost a bunch of equiptment.

How do you stay in range of your FPV gear and your aircraft tx/rec? I mean how do you test the limits. Does an OSD tell you the strength of your signals?

Does the Spectrum 8 have a module that gives feedback on range? Are folks using something like that?
patfly is offline Find More Posts by patfly
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfly View Post
As I begin to fly more true FPV video vs LOS, I realize that it could be easy to outfly the range of signals on my tx/rec on both the plane and the FPV. And either could cost a bunch of equiptment.

How do you stay in range of your FPV gear and your aircraft tx/rec? I mean how do you test the limits. Does an OSD tell you the strength of your signals?

Does the Spectrum 8 have a module that gives feedback on range? Are folks using something like that?
Well honestly for me at this moment flying with NO OSD I have been going on the speculation of what I think I CAN do with a margin of safety. I am using skew planars on 1.3Ghz with a 700mw vTX, theoretically I should get a few miles out of that, which is far beyond the reach of my 2.4Ghz DSSS TX, however my TX has good frequency spread, transmits at 100mw, which should give me a mile + on range, however 2nd harmonics of 1.3Ghz will limit the range of 2.4Ghz, I just don't know how badly for me personally, but I have pushed it just shy of half mile thus far and haven't had a single problem yet.

Now as far as my way of protecting my investment... I have FY31AP and Hornet OSD on the way! FY31AP has return to home as well as other autopilot functions, plus fly by wire stabilization too, failsafe on my radio will be set to return to home and about 60% throttle, once it is installed I plan to push the limits .

You can also use RSSI, which is a signal strength indicator from your RX, however it seems some modifications are required on most RX's to tap into it... and from what I have seen of youtube videos of RSSI it tends to just drop out instead of gradual fade with any kind of warning, so it doesn't seem all that useful to me personally, but at the same time I have no idea how to get RSSI from my RX so I am not really going to concern myself, if I find a way to make it work though I will hook it up just to have it hooked up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:53 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
Quote:
We're talking about 200 miliwat...correct ?

I'm using osd since long time ago. On my futaba. Soldering some wire on the pcb you can get rssi signal.

The tx on the plane reduces the range you can usualy get.

My 100 miliwat futaba can get to something between 130 meters and 800 meters. Depands on the proximity of the tx / rx / antennas on board.

Finaly i got a buster to my rc link tx. Now i didn't try it yet. But i know from a friend. I can reach 6~ km.of rc link.

I have osd, gps locator, flight video recording. To help me find my investment..
And i already lost a plane once .. not fun
Last edited by guy1a; Mar 03, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:54 AM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:

The DX8 Telemetry module will send Antenna Fades, Frame Losses, and Holds back to the Transmitter. I've had my DX8 for a year and haven't used the Telemetry yet. I fly with an eLogger and OSD Pro. If I fly out of range it "should" turn around and come back (fingers crossed). The OSD lets me monitor my voltage and the FPV flight attitude. At the first sign that something is wrong (flaky control response, throttle cutout), I do a 180 and head back. Baby steps. Fly a little farther each time you go out. Don't try for a WOrld Record on your first flight.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM8800
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:44 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:

Well I find the video goes bad a little bit gradually with CL/SPW, which is good. Also, I fly with my RC antenna pointing towards the plane (where the antenna has worst signal output) so as a backup I just have to lift antenna to perpendicular to plane to regain signal. I got to 1km with antenna pointing towards plane today on turnigy 9X (stock rf module) then lost signal, lifted antenna and turned back and came home. Easy as that.
Most important thing when testing is to have a very good spotter, do a long distance LOS circuit, then if the spotter reports good video then swap.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:26 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Cyclops Nova OSD + RTH

Has anyone used the Cyclops Nova OSD with RTH? How was it? Seems like very good value.
Can anyone recommend me another OSD with RTH that won't break my bank?
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:56 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone used the Cyclops Nova OSD with RTH? How was it? Seems like very good value.
Can anyone recommend me another OSD with RTH that won't break my bank?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1547637
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:57 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Cheers
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:10 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,087 Posts
Quote:

With Spektrum 2.4 there is no way at present to get RSSI. That is why I went over to 35mhz UK frequency. So I now have RSSI. As you fly further away from home. The reading starts to drop SLOWLY.
It took some work to modify the Corona RP6DI and the Cyclops easy OSD to obtain the RSSI, but it is worth it.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member