Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:15 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefpv View Post
Now that's a sharp looking design! ;-)
It is sharp looking and functional too.

Hopefully they are giving you royalties on your design.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfly View Post
Here is my first published FPV video. I have only 3 FPV flight (attempts) including one costly crash. I am Taking off and landing LOS and using a spotter while trying to figure it all out.

Thanks to all on this forum for your info and answers.

Check it out.
http://youtu.be/Zs8OMGjrLxg
Looks real good there patfly. Looking forward to seeing more of your videos.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:01 AM
Lifelongflyer
United States, NM, Silver City
Joined May 2005
60 Posts
Pan Tilt Sky Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Nice flight. My Sky Surfer is being delivered today! Is your COG off a bit? Seems like you where porpoising a bit. I like your pan tilt. I am doing the same with a mechanical head tracker soon.
Yea, good call on the CG. It was off a bit.
The pan tilt is a hybrid - platform from Iluvfpv and p/t from ReadymadeRC's Radian P/T setup.
patfly is offline Find More Posts by patfly
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:35 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
561 Posts
Quote:
I LOVE this skin idea and makes the plane much better looking and durable for the rough terrain we have here in Colorado. Do you have more photos of the type of tape you used and how you applied it? Did it add allot of weight? I get my RMRC V1 Brushless combo this weekend and was going to paint it, but I like this idea better.
My BLOG has more details on the build. I used DUCK brand tape from my local Walmart. This ACU digital camo tape it AWSOME. The draw back it the weight tho. You have to compensate for the weight by uppin the motor and prop. The combo I'm using works well. I applied the tape as to not over lap more then a few mm. On the fuse I covered from nose to tail and on the wings from center to tips in long single strips.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Last edited by Wirewolf903; Mar 01, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:41 PM
Lifelongflyer
Joined May 2005
60 Posts
Ground station for Sky Surfer

Ground station in process.

My current (pun intended) problem is I have 3 devices (V-receiver, Video screen, and Camcorder) and they are all switched and powered independently. They are of different voltages and have different battery capacities.
Receiver 11.1 LiPo 110 mAh
Video screen 3.7V 220 mAh
Camcorder 7.2v 730 mAh

I would love to have one battery and 3 switches and maybe even a master switch.
Right now I have to turn each on/off with their (all different) switches. And worst of all I have to charge each battery independently.

Can this be done without much skill and $?
I

How little I know about electrical stuff is shocking.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:00 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,611 Posts
Well since we are on a roll with ground stations...

Here is my newest iteration of mine!

A $25 case (comes with lock and keys too!) from harbor freight, plus I used a 20% off coupon that came in AMA mag (It came to $19.99).

All I need to do now is figure out how to mount it to a tripod!

My next step is to build a power control box. Right now I use one 1300mah lipo to power RX and screen.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:16 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfly View Post
Ground station in process.

My current (pun intended) problem is I have 3 devices (V-receiver, Video screen, and Camcorder) and they are all switched and powered independently. They are of different voltages and have different battery capacities.
Receiver 11.1 LiPo 110 mAh
Video screen 3.7V 220 mAh
Camcorder 7.2v 730 mAh

I would love to have one battery and 3 switches and maybe even a master switch.
Right now I have to turn each on/off with their (all different) switches. And worst of all I have to charge each battery independently.

Can this be done without much skill and $?
I

How little I know about electrical stuff is shocking.
Yes, you can.
Use a 2,000 mah battery or larger and do 1 of the following:
1. Use 2 voltage regulators, 1 for the 3.6V and 1 for the 7.2v.
2. Use the batteries BALANCE Plug. The Black and first wire will get you 3.7v, the Black and next wire will get you 7.4v (close enough to 7.2).
Make sure you BALANCE CHARGE between uses.
BTW, this is the way most laptop batteries are used and it will not harm the battery as long as you don't run a cell down too far. If you powered your receiver with the Black and Red on the Balance Plug (last wire) wires you could put a switch in line with the Black wire and it would turn all 3 items on/off.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:37 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,611 Posts
Ok I managed to mount my new ground station case to a tripod! I think this will work much better then my backpack method before, plus now I can carry a backpack and use shoulder harness to hold the case, while one hand holds the plane and the other is free! (I have a 3 block walk to the field I FPV at).

I decided to mount the foam insert into the lid around the display, this way I can hide the wires running to the screen and it looks better.

As you can see in the pic I am also keeping my radio in the case, as it was I would just stick it in my backpack and I have been fearing a break of a switch or something doing it that way.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Or go really fancy and build a few relay switch circuits. not straight forward and cheap mind as above
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
My BLOG has more details on the build. I used DUCK brand tape from my local Walmart. This ACU digital camo tape it AWSOME. The draw back it the weight tho. You have to compensate for the weight by uppin the motor and prop. The combo I'm using works well. I applied the tape as to not over lap more then a few mm. On the fuse I covered from nose to tail and on the wings from center to tips in long single strips.
Yeah, I was looking over you blog on it and I am impressed. Fortunately for me, my electronics choice is going to be much lighter than yours, so I may be able to get by adding some tape in choice spots along with paint in others.
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:34 PM
Lifelongflyer
Joined May 2005
60 Posts
re: first sky surfer video

Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to doing more and getting more compfortable flying through the screen.
It's a real shift after years of "don't take your eyes of the plane"
It is amazing how hard it is to find the plane in the sky even with spotter pointing it out.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:43 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
561 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I was looking over you blog on it and I am impressed. Fortunately for me, my electronics choice is going to be much lighter than yours, so I may be able to get by adding some tape in choice spots along with paint in others.
I tried the paint thing on my first two skysurfers, several different types from cheap to $$$ and all did the crack and flake once that plane hits the ground in controlled landings and the not so controlled. The more the white foam cracks showed the more paint I added...it was never ending and adding more and more weight each coat. Let me know if you find a paint that weathers the abuse.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Last edited by Wirewolf903; Mar 03, 2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:24 AM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,886 Posts
Dudes :-)
I am happy to inform that sphinxer is up and gliding very wrll :-)

Test flight was great !
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Last edited by guy1a; Mar 02, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:27 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I have the same problem with the paint cracking, but never resprayed it. Figured it was useless to repaint and would simply add more weight. But the good thing is that with the cracks in the paint it allows you to see the stress points on the foam. I used that knowledge to reinforce my next plane. The plane with the crappy paint is now my experimental model. And crash test plane!!!!
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Sorry to x-post, but I'm trying to find the guy who was selling the moulded coke bottle belly protectors for the Bix/SS. Can anyone remember his web address? TY
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer