Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:43 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:51 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Look, Lafayette, you are accusing everyone else of junking up the thread, about posting off topic, but you are doing it also! Last 2-3 pages are mostly your posts retaliating to others, and trying to prove your point. Just let it slide, and get back on topic everyone please, no fighting, no internet warriors!
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:08 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Go ahead, click the report button, you know who you are, plural...

Thanks for pushing the report button for no reason. The button works for everybody does it not?
No I do not want a T shirt,
and Planex, your contribution is invaluable to this thread and to the groups. How can we ever thank you for all the hard work you put into this, Thank you so much for your innovative contributions.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:28 AM
Captain Puffet
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Servos in Tail

Hi

Thought i would post this picture here and see if anybody has done similar.

I dont like having the Servos control the tail flaps "by wire" - so I have embedded the servos into the tail as can be seen in this pic.

Turnigy Servos - Bixler tail.

Has anybody else tried this - got any experience with this layout?
Captain_Puffet is offline Find More Posts by Captain_Puffet
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Do svidaniya!
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:14 AM
Captain Puffet
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Additional comment is that I saw a post about putting plastic credit card shapes onto the end of these flaps = intend to do that as well.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:48 AM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Puffet View Post
Hi

Thought i would post this picture here and see if anybody has done similar.

I dont like having the Servos control the tail flaps "by wire" - so I have embedded the servos into the tail as can be seen in this pic.

Turnigy Servos - Bixler tail.

Has anybody else tried this - got any experience with this layout?
This approach is called "Fly by wire" and is the "modern" approach for full size aircraft. Originally we had pull-pull cabling, then torque tubes running to the control surfaces. Cabling and torque tubes are heavy and have a little slop in them. When set up correctly fly by wire is much better but presents a different set of problems for R/C aircraft. You will have to bury the servo wires in the foam and that may weaken it and could look ugly. You also have to get the pivot point set up just right. A tradional torque tube set up offers more flexibility with setting up control throws and replacing a servo when necessary. The great thing about this hobby is being able to EXPERIMENT.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:52 AM
Captain Puffet
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Thanks HiFlyer371,

I think burying the wires in the foam by far offsets the shabby look of cables running to the tail.

I think getting the pitch right when embedding the servos is much easier that one would think.

Anyway, will have a fly this weekend and report back
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
This approach is called "Fly by wire" and is the "modern" approach for full size aircraft. Originally we had pull-pull cabling, then torque tubes running to the control surfaces. Cabling and torque tubes are heavy and have a little slop in them. When set up correctly fly by wire is much better but presents a different set of problems for R/C aircraft. You will have to bury the servo wires in the foam and that may weaken it and could look ugly. You also have to get the pivot point set up just right. A tradional torque tube set up offers more flexibility with setting up control throws and replacing a servo when necessary. The great thing about this hobby is being able to EXPERIMENT.
And don't forget the CG changes. Servos may see light, but when they are put all the way out at the tail, their weight has a large moment. Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done. Just make sure you can still balance the plane.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
... may your egos inflate and keep you safe.
LOL ... most ironic statement made in this thread.

So ... has anyone loaded up a Sky Surfer V4 with gear? And if so, how's the strength of the new wing mount holding up in 8 G loops?
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Thanks HiFlyer371,

I think burying the wires in the foam by far offsets the shabby look of cables running to the tail.

I think getting the pitch right when embedding the servos is much easier that one would think.

I posted a photo of my servos on the tail a few pages back. I heated a piece of music wire and melted a slot in the fuselage just forward of the servos and ran the wires inside. I then cut a piece of scrap foam and pushed it into the slot. I'll try to update the photo when I get home from work. Having the servos at the tail improves your flexibility with flight batteries and cameras up front. In the "Real Airplane" world it's called "CG moment arm". Moving an ounce a great distance can provide great benefit (or danger!). With a GoPro, 3,000 mah main battery and 1,000 FPV battery all up front, it was a no brainer.
Good Luck and Good Flying!
Last edited by HiFlyer371; Feb 10, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:45 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Thanks HiFlyer371,

Here is a current photo of my Bixler's tail. There is a little bit of heat damage to the fuselage just forward of the servos. I had to replace a servo and when I heat shrinked the extension/servo connection I didn't protect the fuselage well enough.
The upper platform is for small cameras. I have a pair of #16 808's and an HK 720p that can face forward or aft. At lower left you can see GPS written inside an outline. That is where my GPS antenna is located. Other electronics were also labeled that way for easy removal. I like the FPV view from the tail. I mix that video with the GoPro and it makes for good variety.
Too cold to fly in Omaha this weekend :.
Hope your weather is better!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I'm currently working on my v4 but I don't think I'll be doing any loops with that one. I'll save the loops for the previously crashed and repaired planes. Getting ready to put it back into the air next week with a big Microdan 2800kv motor rated to 115mph!!!! I'll use the v4 for video flying only.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,619 Posts
All I have ever done with mine was add another solid CF rod inside of the existing wing spar, and a hollow spar on the fuse, I have done full throttle loops, fast turns, rolls, full downward dives, straight up climbs, with roughly an extra 120 grams in landing gear, and a 170 gram 2200mah battery. There is wing flex but not too bad. Though generally I reserve crazy aerobatics for only when flying with 1300mah, some with 2200mah, and I don't even try with FPV gear on. I estimate I am up to about AUW of 38oz with FPV, and I still have OSD equipment to put on there eventually.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I have not weighed mine but I do most of my flying with 2200mah. I reinforced the nose to fuselage section with cf rods for those hard nose impacts the are bound to happen. I don't plan on using my new plane for stunts. I'll save that for the tried and true crash planes. I'll post some pics later of one of the sections of my v4 that shows how I reinforce the plane.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax