SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, OR, Blodgett
Joined Apr 2011
352 Posts
First FPV today

Hello friends,
About a week ago I finished the build on a Bixler I picked up last summer for a winter time project. The only thing I didn't do was change the prop, I couldn't get the original off. I flew for the first time when I finished the build. The ailerons were backward so I crashed right away. I put the nose back on , reversed the ailerons and flew like the wind. It was great then about 15 minutes into the flight The motor stopped and she started smoking, I landed ok and quickly unpluged the battery. The 30 amp ESC was toast. I thought my flying was over until I get back home to Oregon. I am now in Mexico. The next day I remembered I have a 450 heli So now I swap the 40 amp ESC between the two.
Today I mounted the HK camera, two axis mount, 200 milliwatt 5.8 ghz trans/reciever, OSD with GPS and took her for a ride. I used my DVD player as a screen. I couldn't record anything because I don't have video input for my laptop. Soon enough.
It will take some time to be comfortable (not scared) but I'm on my way.
Thanks for all your experience it has saved me time and money and it has been enjoyable reading.
Jerry
KB7BKN
http://crowncoach.clanteam.com
Jerry Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Campbell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:34 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Got my 3rd FPV flight in today! Got to test my new ground station setup and it worked awesomely! Only issue I had was my TX battery dieing as I was lining up for landing! She glided to about 4 feet off the ground and stalled out into some tall grass about 600 feet infront of me, no damage .

I do have some external video recording done by my spotter, no FPV recording method yet as my laptop kept crashing in the field, that will come soon. here are some ground station pics
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:00 PM
Lifelongflyer
United States, NM, Silver City
Joined May 2005
60 Posts
Finally got a good flight with my sky surfer. Nice! I have ordered 6x4 prop to replace the stock prop. Can someone tell me what to expect from the new prop. The stock was a 5" and really flexable.
Thanks,
Pat
patfly is offline Find More Posts by patfly
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfly View Post
Finally got a good flight with my sky surfer. Nice! I have ordered 6x4 prop to replace the stock prop. Can someone tell me what to expect from the new prop. The stock was a 5" and really flexable.
Thanks,
Pat
I have only ever flown with the 6x4, on a stock setup with a 1300mah battery she will nearly climb vertical (Almost but not quite ), and with a phone in the plane (GPS logging only) I have clocked it up to 55 Mph on level flight.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:13 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfly View Post
Thanks,
Pat
The 6X4e will be a lot less flexible and give you a lot more thrust.
My Excel Spreadsheet shows a 5X5 prop at 18,000 RPM giving 11 ounces of thrust. A 6X4e turning 16,000 (reduced because of extra load) giving 18 ounces of thrust. Those numbers are pretty close for the 2826-6-2200KV that I am running. You will enjoy the extra horsepower!
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:35 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
My mate flies with the stock setup (stock prop and 1300mAh battery + weights) and I fly with 6x4 prop and 2200mAh (mine is heavier due to CF reinforcement etc) and the flight performance isn't much different, although his is lighter so that makes up for the less thrust. But that stock prop is so loud!
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
3rd Bixler FPV Flight (External View) (1 min 21 sec)

A little video of my Bix while I was flying my 3rd FPV flight, no actual FPV vids until I come up with a recording method!
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
My new FPV platform

Nice videos. I hope to be showing some more myself shortly. Currently waiting on my HK order to come in to get my new bird in the air.

Are you guys able to hook up to your laptops and watch your flight and record as you are flying??
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Nice videos. I hope to be showing some more myself shortly. Currently waiting on my HK order to come in to get my new bird in the air.

Are you guys able to hook up to your laptops and watch your flight and record as you are flying??
I was using laptop for view and record, though my laptop seems to want to crash during flight so I am not using it ATM .
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:39 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I was using laptop for view and record, though my laptop seems to want to crash during flight so I am not using it ATM .
Im about to do that with an older laptop, hopefully I can get around computer crashes, so I don't have real crashes
If it doesn't want to play ball, I reckon ill give some form of linux a try with easycap, much more stable and less crap running in background then windows
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I was going to try my Dell that's about 5 years old before I spent any money on a seperate monitor or goggles.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:45 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Has anyone had success with computers that old?
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
A 5 year old computer can certainly handle some basic video capture, maybe not HD, but certainly standard TV size.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post

Max. Is that a Zephyr II or something that looks like one?

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202