HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:58 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
I have been reading that carbon interferes with some signals. I do not know much about it, but I had considered doing the whole airplane like that then due to cost I though of a very thin glass job. What would you recommend?
Also thanks for the heads up on the top part of the fuse.
I've been flying R/C since 1973 and electric since the late 80's. We learned in the early days of electrics to build light. Many of the trainers that you see today are made of foam and will bounce and survive a crash that a gas job wouldn't. Adding a lot of weight increases kinetic energy and you will have more damage in a crash. I hit a goal post last week and because my plane is fairly light (as FPV goes) the damage was minimal.
If not too much work, I will be removing the top part of the wing mount and attaching it to my wing on my V4. There will be a plywood bulkhead added to fuselage just behind the back of the canopy. It will be made from 3/16 inch aircraft ply and go all the way to the bottom of the fuselage and be glued (epoxy or GG) to as much surface area as possible to carry the load. There will be a 1/4-20 bolt aft and it will get the same threatment. I hate rubber bands and have done this to almost all my models. I did it to my Busy Bee years ago, not pretty but it works well.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:07 AM
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Nov 2011
109 Posts
Ok so I bought the Futaba 9c super. Can someone tell me what Reciever I should use that has RSSI out? I was trying to use a Corona RP8D1 but have just found out it does not have this signal either without modifying. Any suggestion? My budget is tapped for the time being so I will have to do with out a UHF system for a month or two.
jeffgiff is offline Find More Posts by jeffgiff
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:52 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:29 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgiff View Post
Ok so I bought the Futaba 9c super. Can someone tell me what Reciever I should use that has RSSI out? I was trying to use a Corona RP8D1 but have just found out it does not have this signal either without modifying. Any suggestion? My budget is tapped for the time being so I will have to do with out a UHF system for a month or two.
The Corona RP8D1 does have RSSI out but you have to modify as you would with most other RXs I do not know what others that would have easy access to the RSSI.
I have done this with my Corona RP6D1. I had to solder a thin wire to the tap point. It was a very delicate operation, but it can be done if you can solder.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:25 AM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
The way I have planned to secure the wings on the SS is to use formica plates mounted on the bottom of the wing insert in the fuse and use the same process as the tail wheel mod, with the bolts going upwards from under the wings. It will diminish flex and stress on the top of the fuse over the wing, which seems to be a weak point. Also working on the float / landing gear mod...and painting, and.....
I think that you may be right about that mounting method. I started looking at the way the V4 secures the wing and thought that could be upgraded with little added weight and be easier to do then the pin and bolt system. The V4 wing bolts are only for keeping the wings from separating laterally and are not strong enough to carry the full wingload. I think a pair of 1/4-20 nylon bolts would be enough. My Bixler is currently disassembled for eLogger maintenance and as I was looking it over this morning I had an idea about the rear wing attachment. The SS V4 uses a plywood motor mount that goes down into the fuselage. If that piece of ply were longer, a hole could be drilled through the fuselage into the ply and out the other side. Then an 8-32 steel bolt could be used to hold down the rear wing and motor. I believe that would make for a simple and an effective rear wing attachment.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:53 AM
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Nov 2011
109 Posts
Rssi

Im no technician but I can glue wires together. Just need to know what wire to glue where. Where is the "tap" point?

Thanks for your help

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
The Corona RP8D1 does have RSSI out but you have to modify as you would with most other RXs I do not know what others that would have easy access to the RSSI.
I have done this with my Corona RP6D1. I had to solder a thin wire to the tap point. It was a very delicate operation, but it can be done if you can solder.
jeffgiff is offline Find More Posts by jeffgiff
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:43 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgiff View Post
Im no technician but I can glue wires together. Just need to know what wire to glue where. Where is the "tap" point?

Thanks for your help

Jeff
All you need to know in this thread. The tap points are minute and you will need a small soldering iron, magnifier, and a steady hand.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1227487
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:42 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
I think that you may be right about that mounting method. I started looking at the way the V4 secures the wing and thought that could be upgraded with little added weight and be easier to do then the pin and bolt system. The V4 wing bolts are only for keeping the wings from separating laterally and are not strong enough to carry the full wingload.
That's not really true. If you look at the cross sectional photo attached, you will see that those two long screws that connect to the wood piece below the wings will prevent the top foam section of the fuselage from taking all the stress now.

When the top fuselage section above the wings get stress from high wing load, the forces are reacted down through the two long screws and into the wood section that is under the wings in the fuselage. Those two long screws have essentially locked the section above the wings to the wood plate below the wings. IMO, looks like a decent design improvement because it's stiffened up the wing area to lessen fuselage stress during high wing loads, and makes for a way to remove the wings for transport.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Sorry, I'll keep my info posted where it belongs, for those with real interest.
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:22 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I did my second FPV flight today, about 6 minutes in my computer crashed! Luckily I was just flying within my sight and had a spotter! I would have a video but because of the crash it got corrupted.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
That's not really true. If you look at the cross sectional photo attached, you will see that those two long screws that connect to the wood piece below the wings will prevent the top foam section of the fuselage from taking all the stress now.

When the top fuselage section above the wings get stress from high wing load, the forces are reacted down through the two long screws and into the wood section that is under the wings in the fuselage. Those two long screws have essentially locked the section above the wings to the wood plate below the wings. IMO, looks like a decent design improvement because it's stiffened up the wing area to lessen fuselage stress during high wing loads, and makes for a way to remove the wings for transport.
Is this standard on theV4?
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:40 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Is this standard on the V4?
Yes. I think Banana Hobby is the only one selling the V4 at this time.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:30 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post

Agreed, the V4 is the best design yet. Except that we are talking about cutting the top section off the fuselage and gluing it to the wing and using bolts to hold the wing to the fuselage (I believe that we were also referencing the $42.00 V1) . As designed, (V1-V3) the primary wing mount is just the friction fit into the fuselage. There have been many mods to provide lateral reinforcement, ie rubber bands, velcro, cabinet latches, etc.There are several videos on YoueTube showing the wings seperating laterally but I haven't seen or heard firsthand that the top of the fuselage came off. I know that it's possible but the the G loading would have to be tremendous.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:32 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Here are a few pics I just took of what I am doing. Of course I will use shorter bolts.
I will post detailed pics when it is done. Waiting for good weather to finish paint!!!
Very well thought out. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
Very well thought out. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
thanks a lot!
I am still serching for the one video I saw a while back where the whole top came off.
Also in this or the other bixler/ss mod thread, or somehere I think I recall someone posting pics of their crashed plane SS or Bixler with top of the fuse above the wing was ripped out...May be it was camo color, may be not...
It has happenned!!! Talk about a bad day?