HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:42 AM
Metric FTW!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
Sorry brother but you sound like a car salesmen with all that hype.
He's got me interested though to see what he's up too lol
maxpowers is offline Find More Posts by maxpowers
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:57 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 02, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:16 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowers View Post
He's got me interested though to see what he's up too lol
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:01 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
My last comment for you Lafayette, I don't play thread battles and fill forums with word just to feel clever. I don't know u and u sure don't know me so please if you have something that benefits this thread then by all means welcome. If you choose to fill with whatever you call what your doing then please take your show somewhere else. This is a good thread with good info and good people just wanting to help one another. If your trying to sell something then I'm sure RCGroup will be more then happy selling you space for your words.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wirewolf903 Blog
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:08 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,207 Posts
Your crazy man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
...a car [U]salesmen...how did you guess I had multiple personalities???

Very funny, No hype here!!!
If this was actually your car we were talking about, and if I told you how to make it last longer, corner better, you would for sure say : cool!
Does this sound familiar, Brother:
....."01222011 Update
I got my Witespy quad from Hoverthings.com this weekend. Amazing...I love this thing! I wish I would have picked up one a long time ago cause this will do everything I wanting in the realm of FPV and arial photography. My advise to others just getting into RC quads. I started with the AR Drone and found it's nothing like a real RC quad. My witespy flys likes its on rails, the done flys where it wants to go and you just try to aim it.
".....
The Skysurfer is my first fixed wing. Still getting all the bugs worked out but the last time I had it up, it was flying solid until the wind grabbed it and tossed it into a tree the size of a skyscraper. An hour later and it was down (that's a story, note to self stay the @#$% away from trees). I was able to put it back together and in the meantime order two more ARF skysurfers from BananaHobbby.........
"........I also picked up an Art-Tech Hughes 300 scale 400 size heli I'm learning to fly. I just started to hover her without any trouble after spending months on a sim ....."
".....I wanted to test out the range of my TX and RX along with my 900mhz transmitter and receiver I've had for a few years so I decided to buy a crawler and started researching. I finally decided on the Exceed Maxstone 8 and ordered it from Nitro. Let me tell ya this thing is massive! I wanted something big to carry some weight for some projects down the road and I believe I made the right pick for the $$. I built it up to hold all the FPV gear and was hooked on blazing this rig around my 6 acres of woods and trails......"
"I'm here as a friendly FPV enthusiast that's willing to help where I can and most of all seeking help from you all on these forums."
from your blog.....
..."Heres my third SkySurfer build. It's a V1 that I wanted to build as a portable FPV TANK to backpack around that could carry my Hero2, FY-21AP with OSD. "...must be nice...Got any detailed pics of your setup on your blog???
I am discussing and Idea, Basic laws of physics, what I know works, mods that work,... This thread is about just that is it not?
I am not giving a sales pitch like some about a product!
Some of us might not have the luxury to buy A Bixler, and then buy two more to correct our mistakes...
Some of us might not have the cash on hand to buy Ar drones-$298.99 - -, then decide to buy a"whitespy, VC-450 Quad (witespy build) with DJI Naza $575.00 ?"
Some of us cannot afford to buy a Hughes 300 scale 400 size heli for $250...
Some of us try to get it right the first time, learning and sharing what we can, trying to benefit from the info posted on these threads, and most of all TRY to CONTRIBUTE to these threads.Don't get me wrong, I am happy for you to be able to do all that.

I am not interested in politics, and may be, just may be, just out of respect for the rest of us that might not have your cash resources, it would be nice if you shared something . It seems to me you are much more experienced at "buying cars" than I am! Most of us out here Have one car, and cannot afford to get it wrong, most of us do not have 6+ acres to test drive, but may be 1/6th of an acre if that, some of us have to do all we can with what we have and what we can afford... And like I said, the day I post what I mentioned, may be I'll contact you an sell you a new RTF modded???Heck, 3 or 4 bixlers, what is the difference?
I tell you what, I'll even throw in Free shipping! NOW that is a sales hype!!!
All that I do, build, ends up in the hands of underpriviledged kids for free.....
un·der·priv·i·leged/ˌəndərˈpriv(ə)lijd/Adjective: (of a person) Not enjoying the same standard of living or rights as the majority of people in a society.
Go Hype your witespy Love, Lafayette...
planex is offline Find More Posts by planex
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:16 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Man, sometimes I wish rcgroups had a like button
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:39 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
This forum is supposed to be for FPV flying. Can we all get back to the topic that we are all here for???

As for the wing flex, if I wanted my wings to be stiff, I'd wrap them in carbon cloth and be done with it. But as they are with right now with the extra rods in them, they are reinforced exactly as I need them to be. The other weak point when the wings flex is the top part of the plane above the wings. I have reinforced that area as well with cf rods and it is rock solid. Learned that the hard way when I blew the whole top of the plane off doing a roll in very windy conditins also. The wind is your friend as well as your enemy.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:30 AM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
261 Posts
Hyper links

Has anyone else had a problem with the "Quote" and "Reply" buttons? I'm not getting the pictures, just text and a red x. If I click on a Smiley Face (right side of text input box), it will not be added to my text. Anyone else have the same problem? Oh, it's also only on RCGroups (all threads).
btw, I just used the "edit" box and it's normal.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:30 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
Has anyone else had a problem with the "Quote" and "Reply" buttons? I'm not getting the pictures, just text and a red x. If I click on a Smiley Face (right side of text input box), it will not be added to my text. Anyone else have the same problem? Oh, it's also only on RCGroups (all threads).
btw, I just used the "edit" box and it's normal.
Yes I sometimes get that when as I am now on my iPad.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
My last comment for you Lafayette, I don't play thread battles and fill forums with word just to feel clever.

I am clever enough not to have to do that!
If your trying to sell something then I'm sure RCGroup will be more then happy selling you space for your words.
I am not trying to sell anything, and If ever Iwould I know were to post, believe me.
I totally agree with you, that this is a good thread and we should respect it.
It is just that I have been developping an allergy to reading stupid comments on youtube, you will probably agree on this one, and when some one posts comments like yours on the groups it makes me react.
I know I should not even react, but RCgroups is a great place where we are amongst friends, and friends respect one another, and if they want to get personal they can use the "private message button".
As I stated earlier, "All that I do, build, ends up in the hands of underpriviledged kids for free.....
Went to schools and made tons of mini foamy gliders with kids, I donate time and gear, build and give... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...9&d=1260750549
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...0&d=1260750549.
I wonder when FPV gear will be small enough to put on one of these!
PICTURE:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2929823
Lafayette...

Let's protect the integrity of the threads and the group.
It stops here, and start over again, alright???
Peace"brother"
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 02, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
[/QUOTE]

NICE PIC!
Can youturn around so we can see your face next time?
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
TAIL MOD ASSEMBLY, pics and instructions by Lafayette.

Here is part of the mods manual I am putting together. Not finished yet but this hopefully will be "clever" enough for some of us to use, with pics. ENJOY!
It is going to be a big file when I am done,and will probably post it in PDF format.
Got my plane from Readymaderc, best place, best price, quick shipping, and the best customer service I have experienced. Also it is V1 which has the control rods out of the fuse with the max space inside.

TAIL ASSEMBLY MOD here is a part of the manual I am working on:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586435
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 02, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:45 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Just got done doing my first real FPV flight! I did a ground range test, and I was pretty satisfied, so I flew! I was really expecting some glitches with the radio since I had glitches with the stock antennas, but I had no radio control issues with the skew planar on proper frequency! I would guesstimate I flew out to about 330 meters at farthest.

Video is coming soon!
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
So here it is! My first official FPV FLIGHT! I think I might of gotten to about 1200 feet LOS at max distance, no OSD yet so until I get one with RTH I am not going to be going much farther then this and I get used to it.

I find flying itself easy but getting your bearings can be quite confusing! After launching and getting into a good LOS pattern I walked over to my screen and started to fly by video... instantly I was disoriented as to where the plane was LOS, took me about a minute to get my bearings and realize where I was to actually look at it.

Other then that I think it was great, some interference on the video but I think that might have to do a lot with power lines, buildings, etc, any ideas on that would be welcome , using RMRC Blue Beam Skew Planar set on 1.28Ghz.

Bixler FPV: First Real FPV Flight! (10 min 30 sec)
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
This forum is supposed to be for FPV flying. Can we all get back to the topic that we are all here for???

As for the wing flex, if I wanted my wings to be stiff, I'd wrap them in carbon cloth and be done with it. But as they are with right now with the extra rods in them, they are reinforced exactly as I need them to be. The other weak point when the wings flex is the top part of the plane above the wings. I have reinforced that area as well with cf rods and it is rock solid. Learned that the hard way when I blew the whole top of the plane off doing a roll in very windy conditins also. The wind is your friend as well as your enemy.
I have been reading that carbon interferes with some signals. I do not know much about it, but I had considered doing the whole airplane like that then due to cost I though of a very thin glass job. What would you recommend?
Also thanks for the heads up on the top part of the fuse.