HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:45 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsweb View Post
I've been thinking of getting headplay but there seems to be so many mixed reports about them.
The only issue I had and fixed was the gaps when using them in daylight. The glare makes the picture seem dim. I cut up an old black t-shirt and with some double stick tape closed them all in and now they're perfect. I didn't like the freeze frame when video signal loss but since I've been using the BiQuad it's a nonissue! What other issues have you heard about em?
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:00 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
398 Posts
I've heard everything from they are not as good as fatshark (yet they're supposed to be higher res), Cable unplugs from the headset, They had issues with PAL video signals, they are no longer supported etc

My friend has fatshark and in all honesty I really wasn't all that impressed with them.
bmsweb is offline Find More Posts by bmsweb
Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:18 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,106 Posts
I have used a few different FPV goggles. I ended up with the HK Fatshark. The non wireless ones. They work well for me.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
ilovefpv,

I love the flaps, I should have done them a long time ago. For just slow trolling looking around or snapping awesome pics flaps are the thing to have. I can land in strong wind without skidding at all with my FPV gear. Most of the video I posted was with the flaps down and u can see how slow it's flying. I'm gonna get that new HK OSD they just started to carry and try it out. Then I'll know what my slowest speed is before stall. With the Co-Pilot II on it pretty much lands itself.

My base station is a work in progress. I'm using two 900 MHz receivers with a range video micro diversity running a DIY Omni and ibcrazy BiQuad. It's rock solid video. I was using a LCD flat screen in the back of my car to see which I liked FPVing better. I have headplay goggles and they work very well. I just don't like not looking around when I'm flying in unfamiliar area. Once this guy walked right up to me for who knows how long before I realized he was there. I don't like that.

I'm in the process of putting everything (ground station) in a pelican case and mounting the flat screen to the inside lid. I'm gonna hate to drill into the lid of my pelican but I don't see another way to secure that heavy LCD screen. I'll post pics once I get her done.
Is there a link to the flaps modification you could share? I couldn't find one...
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Subscribed.

Great information on FPV. Looking forward to the videos that get posted.

Vince
Welcome to the thread Vince!
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit View Post
it just didnt fly right, kinda nose heavy, and yeah it was measured from the LE, and my ezosd got fried, i made a dumb mistake, i only just bought a new current sensor for it, and instead of taking my time, i rushed soldering my XT60 connectors and soldered black and red the wrong way and plugged in, i felt so stupid but its a mistake i wont make again, and the mount is not my idea i got the link from the guy who did design it, i am going to re do the cog in a bit
carl
Ok - mine is set to 62mm mostly because I pushed the lipo as far back as I could into the fuselage and the plane seemed to fly well at this setting. The bird does want to climb like crazy under power, but I'm OK with this...

Sorry to hear about the OSD - you won't make that mistake again! ;-)
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:22 AM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsweb View Post
Well I'm happy to share my total Affiliate earnings . . a total of $2.25! I've only ever received this amount once. That was when my friend purchased through my link. I did the same for him the next time I purchased and he received a similar amount . . actually I think it was even less. Since then I know people have used my Affiliate links but no more has gone into the account. I don't know what the deal is??

In all honesty the main reason we all buy from hobby king is the pricing which is pretty good. Our Bixler came with one wing broken . . bummer but still worth it since foam is easy to fix.
I emailed Anthony Hand again about this today - let's see what he comes back with.

I agree with your comment about HK and the pricing. I just don't like them promoting an affiliate program they don't stand behind. Especially if people are developing content and hoping to get a few $$ to buy their next purchase.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:24 AM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
I second that! All the stock electronics at least in the SkySurfer are junk. They caused my first fuse fire and crash. I'm just now planning on upgrading my plastic 9g servos to all metal gears. If I were to do it all over again I would have just started with all metal gear sevos.

I'm trying these MG sevos out now. So far very nice, fast, and strong! $6!!!http://www.nitroplanes.com/servo-mg90s.html
I want lucky - I had the problem with rudder servo first and was able to land her with no problem (and then replace the elevator and aileron servos with quality equipment). Not sure if the rudder servo stripped or what, but it was junk after just a few flights (I don't even use rudder that much)...
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:25 AM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
@wirewolf, @flypoppa, @bmsweb

Do you guys feel that goggles are required for FPV flying?
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks Dad!
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Feb 2001
222 Posts
Will be watchin, I've got a Wild Hawk that could do with some upgrades and use it as a FPV craft!...
RacerPaul is offline Find More Posts by RacerPaul
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Welcome to the thread RacerPaul!
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:36 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefpv View Post

I've been flying FPV for just over a month possibly more, and I've mainly been flying with my LCD Monitor from ebay. I don't think you have to have them but it helps on really bright days as you don't have to struggle to see the image.
bmsweb is offline Find More Posts by bmsweb
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:35 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
Quote:

i have used goggles and tried a screen, and have to say goggles give you a far more immersive flight, and its even better when your goggles are totaly blacked out using the ski mask mod, i found that a screen although good does not give you the same view, i found myself looking at the plane and then back to the screen, its just my honest opinion, others may like the screen better, but each to their own
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:11 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,106 Posts
Quote:

Not required but better. With a screen and external light, it is at times difficult. You could build some sort of box for it which does help.
Once you have tried goggles I don't think you would go back to a screen.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:26 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
[QUOTE=ilovefpv;19810163]@wirewolf, @flypoppa, @bmsweb

IMO its personnel preference...some days I feel like flying with goggles and other, mostly if I'm testing the plane or gear it's easier to use the LCD screen. I'm more relaxed chilling in a chair with the goggles but with the screen I'm up down watching the screen then watching the plane. From what I've seen with other FPVers base stations they mostly all have both rigs set up. I would suggest trying them both and you'll probably discover like most of us having both options there for whichever mood hits you is the way to go.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903