HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:11 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
Just got done putting my Bixler together!!! I can't wait to maiden tomorrow .
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 06:00 AM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
HiFlyer371 this looks like the HK large pan/tilt, I have one too but decided not to use it because the tilt axis was too "wobbly".

Did you reinforce the areas around the hatches? Because it will be the first place to tear up when you hit something.
shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:23 AM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaprap View Post
HiFlyer371 this looks like the HK large pan/tilt, I have one too but decided not to use it because the tilt axis was too "wobbly".

Did you reinforce the areas around the hatches? Because it will be the first place to tear up when you hit something.
Yes to both questions. The tilt axis on my camera mount is pretty tight. If it does cause a problem I will disconnect the servo and put a drop of hot glue on the piviot point. The left side and nose inside the fuselage is glassed with 3/4 oz cloth and water based poly. I don't intend to crash and haven't in more than 20 years. Beefing up a plane will help survive a "hard landing" but NOTHING will help you survive a full blown crash. As designed the Bixler (Sky Surfer) is very light weight and would fall to the ground "gently" even with the loss of a wing. Adding more weight increases the kinetic energy that is suddenly released during a crash. That energy has to go somewhere and usually results in broken parts. Light is usually better.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:42 AM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,886 Posts
a new video for you guys

16-12-2011 (1 min 26 sec)

last flight was the last of the elevator servo ( original from the RTF )
it melted !!and the motor got stuck.
when i opened the fuselage to change serov, i noticed the rudder servo is a bit melted too .. so i changed it also.

already tested it with an eXtreme fpv
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Old Dec 17, 2011, 02:43 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,886 Posts
another one .. few minutes before sundown, crappy video .. but ..

this is the test flight after changing servos.

the crain (2 min 36 sec)

hope you'll like it.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
Woo, I am so super stoked! I just had my maiden flight... First ever 4 channel plane flight, 3rd ever rc airplane of any kind flight (I do fly helis though...), and I had a stellar 8 minutes of flight with 3 perfect hand launches and landings! onboard video being uploaded as we speak to youtube
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2011, 04:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
Maiden Flight of my HK Bixler and First ever 4 Channel Flight (8 min 9 sec)

My maiden flight!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
Second flight of my Bixler at Sunset (6 min 28 sec)

My second Flight, I got the vibrations down a bit, can improve it more and I will, though the sunset and my 808 #8 dont mix well so quality is cloudy, but a good flight none the less .
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:04 PM
I land with enthusiasm
Lima-Peru
Joined Aug 2004
520 Posts
Congrats all you guys for your FPV flights, I'm ready tomorrow with mine,,,,,
This time I will record the video,,,,
Arck is offline Find More Posts by Arck
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:31 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arck View Post
Congrats all you guys for your FPV flights, I'm ready tomorrow with mine,,,,,
This time I will record the video,,,,
good luck !
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:23 PM
I land with enthusiasm
Lima-Peru
Joined Aug 2004
520 Posts
HI guys today was a bad day for me, but I learned what not to do in FPV, I was in my third fly and wanted to go further, suddenly the plane begun to made turns without my commands, I lost control, was so scared because I was on the highway and the bix started to spin over it, over the cars,,,, and couldn't do anything, God is there and crashed two meters from the side of the road, the video speak by itself. Every flight I install my other HK wing Cam over one wing so I will post tomorrow the video from it to make a comparison between the two cameras in the same condition if you want.

First, I will not do this anymore, for a standard range the dona flight is mandatory.
Second, Will add to my radio a Dragon link module,
Third, trash the HK CCD cheap camera and buy the Gopro
Fourth: Will add the 5 turn Helical and the diversity
And yes, I will brake my wallet but I love this Hobby.
lostcontrol.wmv (2 min 21 sec)
Arck is offline Find More Posts by Arck
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,625 Posts
Quote:
HI guys today was a bad day for me, but I learned what not to do in FPV, I was in my third fly and wanted to go further, suddenly the plane begun to made turns without my commands, I lost control, was so scared because I was on the highway and the bix started to spin over it, over the cars,,,, and couldn't do anything, God is there and crashed two meters from the side of the road, the video speak by itself. Every flight I install my other HK wing Cam over one wing so I will post tomorrow the video from it to make a comparison between the two cameras in the same condition if you want.

First, I will not do this anymore, for a standard range the dona flight is mandatory.
http://youtu.be/dg8oLZXVcAQ
Woah that sucks! Your altitude seemed kind of low to begin with though...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:36 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,886 Posts
Quote:

dude ! that's kind'a scary

we never fly above roads

the law here will not like that.

in 72 systems you can leave the last part of the antenna inside, if lost control you can take it out and you have some more range to bail out ..

i use this 16$ camera and have a beter video .. may be your video link of 200 miliwatt is a bit too weak ?
i have guys flying with me with 72 and 800 video link... about 1 kilometer .. without problems.

good it turned out like that .. !
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:02 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
Quote:

I would say that you extend your RC antenna to twice the length of the existing one, and make sure it is the correct length of the part of the frequency. This is what we are doing an it does increase the range. IT MUST BE OUTSIDE OF THE MODEL AND NOT COILED UP. Let it trail behind the model.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:34 AM
Norge, Østfold, Moss
Joined Jun 2007
22 Posts
Quote:

There is something realy wrong with your cam, mine got a nice clear picture, nothing like that...
austinpowers is offline Find More Posts by austinpowers