HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:24 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
299 Posts
Wirewolf903 That's one awesome paint job!!! Very Impressive. Nice work!
bmsweb is online now Find More Posts by bmsweb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:38 AM
Joined May 2011
299 Posts
Today we squeezed in a very last minute flight just before it got dark and I couldn't believe how well the Sony Camera works in low light. Have a look and see what you think.

Bixler RC Glider FPV flight almost Night - Sony Camera Test in Low Light 5.8Ghz (2 min 36 sec)
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:26 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsweb View Post
bmsweb...thank you!
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:29 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Today we squeezed in a very last minute flight just before it got dark and I couldn't believe how well the Sony Camera works in low light. Have a look and see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28H3EZqV-GM
Very nice video...do you know the LUX rating is for that sony camera? And what OSD are you using?
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:33 PM
Joined May 2011
299 Posts
Not sure of the Lux rating but of the 2 Sony Cameras on Hobby King its the cheaper on. The OSD I'm using is the Remzibi OSD. Its actually a copy I got from eBay. Very Happy with it.

If you look at the first video in this thread I have a link in the description . . so watch it on YouTube so you can see the description.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:32 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
In my opinion you really Really REALLY need the wide angle lens or its hard to tell which way you're going or identify landmarks. I also find it makes a significant difference when landing. You really need that wider angle to tell where you are in relation to landmarks etc

BTW: we just got back from our local park and did an on the ground range test using the 5.8Ghz 200mw system with the IBCrazy antenna's along with a standard Turnigy 9X. On the ground we are easily getting 500meters! I couldn't go any further away on the ground as there was no more park left. But our next flight test should be interesting
That's kind of what I thought you were going to say.. My plan at the moment is to use the same 5.8G 200mw system with my GoPro. Did I hear on one of your videos you are experimenting with this? The only concern I have at the moment is that I've heard there is some lag in the video coming out of the GoPro. We'll see...

500meters? Fantastic! I don't have any plans to go any further than I can see at the moment. I looked at IBCrazy's thread (which is huge) - any advice on getting started on making these antennas?
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:43 PM
Joined May 2011
299 Posts
I'm planning on making another set of Antennas this time for my Son and a friend. I plan on doing a video soon. If you can hold out for about a week (until my parts arrive from ebay) I'll do a video on how I made them.

The GoPro is laggy but I don't think it would cause any issues with the Bixler. I would imagine if you were flying something fast or doing close proximity then it would be an issue. I don't have a GoPro but I'm buying one this week. I'll still end up using my Sony Setup because if I decide to change batteries etc I know I'm doing it for the Model and my Video Gear. I guess if you could power the GoPro via your aircraft batteries that could resolve this problem.

I would hate for the GoPro to go flat while I'm relying on its vision.

At 200 meters visually its almost impossible to fly the model, So if you're flying out to 500meter plus then you're totally relying on your FPV gear and its so dam cool.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
I've been waiting for this thread for sometime, thank you! Looking forward to the interaction and RC Groups wealth of knowledge. Well done ilovefpv!

My equ:
SkySurfer v2 and v1 x2 (IMO v1 has the most room inside for FPV gear)
Stock motor for now wanting the HK 3900KV
Prop 6x4
FLAPS!
co-pilot II
900 MHZ 500mw TX
ibcrazy DIY Vee
Camera: use two, 170fov and 120fov both 500 lines res
HD Video from HK Wingcam with 120fov
Camera upgraded to GoPro Hero2 (still trying to build pan/tilt mount for it and get CG right with gopro in case)

I've been told in the "other" SkySurfer/Bixler Thread it's ugly...I say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Ld-3WUjNM&sns=em
She flys awesome! Looking forward to setting up the live view feed on the gopro.
Thanks for your support ! I wasn't quite sure what kind of reception this would get.

Cool video... A couple of questions - how do you like the flaps on your Sky Surfer? I've thought they would be good on the Bixler for short lands at a site I'm trying to do FPV at. Are they easy to install?

Also - what are you using for your base station? I see the image of it in the opening frames (is that a monitor in your car? )

-Steve
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
I actually do like it too... Looks to be a military inspired theme...
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Very nice Paul and Thomas!

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28H3EZqV-GM
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Not sure of the Lux rating but of the 2 Sony Cameras on Hobby King its the cheaper on. The OSD I'm using is the Remzibi OSD. Its actually a copy I got from eBay. Very Happy with it.

If you look at the first video in this thread I have a link in the description . . so watch it on YouTube so you can see the description.
What is the ballpark price of the OSD + GPS unit?
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
I'm planning on making another set of Antennas this time for my Son and a friend. I plan on doing a video soon. If you can hold out for about a week (until my parts arrive from ebay) I'll do a video on how I made them.

The GoPro is laggy but I don't think it would cause any issues with the Bixler. I would imagine if you were flying something fast or doing close proximity then it would be an issue. I don't have a GoPro but I'm buying one this week. I'll still end up using my Sony Setup because if I decide to change batteries etc I know I'm doing it for the Model and my Video Gear. I guess if you could power the GoPro via your aircraft batteries that could resolve this problem.

I would hate for the GoPro to go flat while I'm relying on its vision.

At 200 meters visually its almost impossible to fly the model, So if you're flying out to 500meter plus then you're totally relying on your FPV gear and its so dam cool.
Great - looking forward to the antenna video !

Agree with what you said about the GoPro battery going down. Do you have a link to the camera you are using with the 5.8G system?
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined May 2011
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefpv View Post
Do you have a link to the camera you are using with the 5.8G system?
Yes. If you look at the first video of mine that you posted at the beginning of this thread (I think it was the 3rd post). Watch it on youtube and there is a link in the description with the exact products I used. Its worth noting being in Australia I picked the Pal Camera. So I would assume you if you're in the US pick the NTSC version.

I only compared the Pal Cameras and the cheaper one had better user rating and this was the basis of my decision. On specs the more expensive Pal Camera should be the better one.

I need FPV goggles . . I purchased a set from ebay but got scammed. Got my money back through Paypal but unfortunately wasted a lot of time in the process.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:11 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Fpv!

Hi guys, I'm really pleased with finding this thread, it's really informative for newcomers to FPV like myself.

So Christmas is coming and I thought Santa (hehe) might bring me some FPV gear for my new Bixler...

I was looking at the HobbyKing 5.8Ghz system(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Tx_Rx_Set.html) with the $17 Sony CCD camera.

Is this easy to set up?
I think I'm going to try using LiPos to power everything, how does this sound: 2200mAh 3s for 4.3" TV screen, 7.4V 1000mAh for transmitter (I've heard that 3s makes it run way to hot, is this true?) and a 1000mAh 3s for the receiver on the ground... Do you think that setup will work?

In terms of display, I think I'm going to try and make a DIY FPV helmet with a cheap monitor inside in front of my eyes (a bit like video goggles, but a tenth of the price). This is the monitor I am thinking of using: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_3454wt_977

So, any comments on this setup?

Thanks IloveFPV for the great thread and everyone else (especially bmsweb- I love you guys' videos!)

Thanks for any help,
Happy flying,
Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:09 AM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Yes. If you look at the first video of mine that you posted at the beginning of this thread (I think it was the 3rd post). Watch it on youtube and there is a link in the description with the exact products I used. Its worth noting being in Australia I picked the Pal Camera. So I would assume you if you're in the US pick the NTSC version.

I only compared the Pal Cameras and the cheaper one had better user rating and this was the basis of my decision. On specs the more expensive Pal Camera should be the better one.

I need FPV goggles . . I purchased a set from ebay but got scammed. Got my money back through Paypal but unfortunately wasted a lot of time in the process.
Thanks - I know the ones you mean and added them to the resource directory..

Off topic...

Are you having much luck with the Hobby King affiliate program? I have a few links on my web site , and have lots of clicks, but have yet to make a sale. In fact I even contacted their customer support and they said you would only get credit for the first item which is sold to a new customer...

Anyways I even contacted Anthony Hand about this (HK CEO) and he said there was a problem due to a staffing issue and it would be resolved, I have yet to see any change..

I just wanted to point this out, because people who create great content like you guys should be rewarded for sharing what you know..