Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:15 AM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Here is my DIY camera pod, made from 2mm plywood and a mini servo mount plate which I can't recall where I got from.

I used poster board for the measures so I'll have a hard mold for drawing and cutting it again if necessary.

I placed the CE OSD and camera on the pod, so now it can be easily connected to the Bixler by 4 wires.
I used 7mm yellow heat shrink to mark them.

shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:58 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Anyone using flaperon setup? If so what do you recommend, and do you do elevator mixing at all with it? Any benefits to it with this plane?
The ailerons are out close to the wing tips, so flapperons will inevitably cause a tip stall and crash. The up side of this is that there is enough room between the start of the ailerons and the fuse to add proper flaps.
rogueqd is online now Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:56 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
Great video guy1a. I like the way you add in pointers and notes.

I recognized the song in the background but cant remember the English title. What is the name?

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Dec 02, 2011, 10:11 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Another Newbie

Great Thread! I got my Bixler kit 2 weeks ago and have been putting it together whenever I can find the time. This thread (and the Sky Surfer) have been a great help. Many, many great ideas. My Bixler is ready for final assembly and based on what I've ready here I will be gluing the tail together but taping forward. I've tested that and there is more than enough flex in the fuselage to be able to work up front with the tail glued on. I have also marked the position of all the electronics to make getting to them easier. The motor is a 2826-6-2200, the ESC a Hobby King 35 amp, an AR8000 receiver, Eagle Tree eLogger V4 and OSD Pro with GPS and Guardian Stabilzer. The FPV is an HK 900 MHz, 800 mw. I'll work on the camera mount tomorrow and it will be much like Shaprap's. I'll have to build another for when I work up the courage to put the GoPro2 onboard.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Last edited by HiFlyer371; Dec 02, 2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:25 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Carbon tube in wings

I think of the Carbon Fiber tube as being expendable. It should hold in flight but in a crash, with all that sudden G loading it should fail before major damage is done to the wing. The wing also pops out of the fuselage mount, again distributing the crash forces. Those of you old enough may remember the Cox PT-19 control line trainer held together with rubber bands. Crash and all the pieces went flying everywhere. Put it back together and start it up for another flight. Full size airplanes are designed with that in mind. 3 years ago I punched a gear leg through the wing on a Zenith CH-250 that I was landing at Brandson, MO. A pain in the backside but the designer had figured out that was better than a total wing failure. btw, I epoxied 4 2mm rods in my spar tube.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Last edited by HiFlyer371; Dec 02, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:11 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Joined Apr 2011
722 Posts
I've finally finished my Bixler. Some additional mods I made:

3 strips of tape under the wings. One along the front of the spar cover to the wing tip, one on the rear of the spar cover to the servo and one behind that and in front of the aileron to the wing tip. I couldn't get any fiberglass tape, so I've just used standard packing tape for now.

I cut small spaces for the aileron Y cable where the under side of the wing meets the fuse. I glued them in place so it's easy to reconnect the servos after I remove the wings. The servo cable is now too long so I tucked the extra into the spar cover.

I tested the motor with a watt mater. Turnigy AE-25A ESC, D2826-6 2200kv, APC 6x4EP prop. I got to 24A at 85% throttle, so I've limited my throttle with a throttle curve until I can get a bigger ESC.

Still using the stock servos but apart from that I've done all the standard mods.

Batteries charging, maiden tomorrow...
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:34 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post
I've finally finished my Bixler. Some additional mods I made:

3 strips of tape under the wings. One along the front of the spar cover to the wing tip, one on the rear of the spar cover to the servo and one behind that and in front of the aileron to the wing tip. I couldn't get any fiberglass tape, so I've just used standard packing tape for now.

I cut small spaces for the aileron Y cable where the under side of the wing meets the fuse. I glued them in place so it's easy to reconnect the servos after I remove the wings. The servo cable is now too long so I tucked the extra into the spar cover.

I tested the motor with a watt mater. Turnigy AE-25A ESC, D2826-6 2200kv, APC 6x4EP prop. I got to 24A at 85% throttle, so I've limited my throttle with a throttle curve until I can get a bigger ESC.

Still using the stock servos but apart from that I've done all the standard mods.

Batteries charging, maiden tomorrow...
What do you think of the Turnigy AE? I got the AE 30A for mine, still waiting for HK to even ship anything, been 4 days...
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Recent Juggernaut Flights
Old Dec 03, 2011, 03:15 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,054 Posts
The answer to the problem wing spar, there is a simple solution.
Get a thicker diameter CF rod and using this and sharpen one end to bore out the foam to the new rods diameter.
This has been done on the EZ*, when people have flattened the wings for ailerons and want to extend the length of the spar.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Dec 03, 2011, 06:06 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Great video guy1a. I like the way you add in pointers and notes.

I recognized the song in the background but cant remember the English title. What is the name?

Vince
"Major Tom" by Peter Schilling.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:09 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Joined Apr 2011
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
What do you think of the Turnigy AE? I got the AE 30A for mine, still waiting for HK to even ship anything, been 4 days...
I got it with the HK Clouds Fly. I don't really have much experience with different ESC's, but it seems to work fine. I've never had any problems with it, I do use a separate BEC tho. I noticed early on that if you attach 4 HXT900 servos and wiggle the sticks around a lot for about 20 seconds it causes the ESC to reboot.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:28 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post
I got it with the HK Clouds Fly. I don't really have much experience with different ESC's, but it seems to work fine. I've never had any problems with it, I do use a separate BEC tho. I noticed early on that if you attach 4 HXT900 servos and wiggle the sticks around a lot for about 20 seconds it causes the ESC to reboot.
Hrm, thanks for the heads up on that, I won't worry about it at first but eventually I will probably need it .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Recent Juggernaut Flights
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:13 AM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
"Major Tom" by Peter Schilling.
thanks - there is also an english version.
i peeks this song as i was just watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pnqkXRf8e8E

few minutes before

after all .. he ( and his videos ) is the one that got me into this hobby.

the CF rod is important if you don't want your plane to clap hands ( wings ) when pulling up after a dive or when finishing a loop.

about this: Turnigy AE-25A ESC
i got 5 of them for my quad copter, i thought that 1 for backup will be enough ... from this pack of 5 same ESCs .. 3 didn't work out of the bag. and one burst into flames in my face when connecting power for the 1st. time !!!

i sen't them all back to hobbycity.

i would not touch them.

i will stick to the good old bulletproof red ones.
they are indistrucable.

soon a new video of the big B.
( i have others from other planes if you like to see .. )

have a good one !
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:19 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,870 Posts

Bixler with Dgigtal Camera (0 min 45 sec)
Old Dec 04, 2011, 03:00 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
Captions and end credit are great. But I would have liked to see much more video of the flight/s.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Dec 04, 2011, 03:16 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,870 Posts

working on it as you type.

though you must remember that other's flying .. is boaring !