Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
25 Posts
Today we had bixler fight. I flied fpv and my friend flew los.
Something stuck to my plane propeller
Vipe83 is offline Find More Posts by Vipe83
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:48 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipe83 View Post
Today we had bixler fight. I flied fpv and my friend flew los.
Something stuck to my plane propeller
If you got the "near" miss on video please post it.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Aug 2012
25 Posts
Didn't fly with gopro onboard. And I have no recorder for fpv flights.

I just flew very close under my friends bixler and this happened.
My esc started beeping and I glided down and saw this.
Maybe plush has somekind safety feature if motor is not responding correctly.
Friend was searching he's canopy and other stuff from snow.
Vipe83 is offline Find More Posts by Vipe83
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipe83 View Post
Didn't fly with gopro onboard. And I have no recorder for fpv flights.

I just flew very close under my friends bixler and this happened.
My esc started beeping and I glided down and saw this.
Maybe plush has somekind safety feature if motor is not responding correctly.
Friend was searching he's canopy and other stuff from snow.
Hmmm. Good thing he had a removable access panel on his belly or you could have gutted him like a fish. Glad both planes survived without a major crash.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
114 Posts
Bixler Throws??

Hi there,
I just finished building my bixler
I upgrated it with a Turnigy 2826 2200Kv motor and a 6x4 prop.
Problem is that i putted hinges for the control surfaces and now i have a lot of thrust (ruffly 45-60)
Now it is the first time i'm attempting to fly it and i'm likely a novice so i wanted to start with some good throws..
can somebody help me?
mick3485 is offline Find More Posts by mick3485
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:34 AM
Australia, NSW, Springwood
Joined Dec 2012
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick3485 View Post
Hi there,
Problem is that i putted hinges for the control surfaces and now i have a lot of thrust (ruffly 45-60)
Now it is the first time i'm attempting to fly it and i'm likely a novice so i wanted to start with some good throws..
can somebody help me?
If you are a novice, please make sure to set your transmitter to low rates (if computer radio, set the 'Dual Rates' option so that you get no more than 30 degree angle on all control surfaces. Also, set up Expo option so that the controls are less sensitive - 30 percent less is probably enough, in combination with your reduced Rates.
ZaksterBlue is offline Find More Posts by ZaksterBlue
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:33 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,598 Posts
Here goes some formation training with the Bixler using FPV gear:

Formation Training Flights HD (8 min 57 sec)
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:39 AM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
580 Posts
Quote:
Hi there,
can somebody help me?
The first mistake most people make is turn on full throttle. DON'T. Set your throttle to about 40% and give it a good heave at about a 30 degree up angle. I recommend that you use an orangeX or other flight stabilizer. It helped me when i first started flying. If this is a maiden flight, double check the prop is on tightly, the controls respond correctly, the flight stabilizer responds correctly, the control linkages are secure, etc, etc,etc. Also if it starts to fly, get it way above any trees before you do any maneuvering. Altitude is your friend. Good luck, hope this helped
farmertom
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:41 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Hi there,
can somebody help me?
Launch it like this -
How to launch the AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet RC plane (1 min 46 sec)

Its much the same plane
frank48 is online now Find More Posts by frank48
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Flight Stabilizers and stuff

Quote:
Hi there,
can somebody help me?
One word of caution for 'first time' flying... (I was guilty of it and paid the price). If you put additional electronics on the bird while first learning -recognize it's an artificial curve with numerous additional 'points of failure' . For example, the gyro/flight stabilizer is great, but if you have the "balance mode" turned on when hand tossing - it WILL react to the way you throw it. The stabilizer is trying to fly level, so when you toss it at an angle, the bird responds to bring it back to level - hence, the higher angle of throw, the faster it will try to bring it back down. Subconsciously, you will grab the controls, over power the motor, pull the sticks and probably find yourself owning a lawn dart. Of course, the manual doesn't tell you this when your setting it up. Another thing I found on my bixler (before it died), was the modified motor extension put to much thrust on the nose - so it would not fly w/o full elevator. I used two spacer (washers) to angle the motor down (more parallel to the bird) in order to have forward thrust.

LIke all things, choose if you want to follow anyone's advise and learn from your own mistakes! Here's my video of the flight where hand toss in ABM (balance mode) forced the initial reaction - you'll see it knife turn 90 degrees, then dive toward the ground... TO note- due to the fast/violent reactions - STOCK servos are a major failure given plastic gears... I'm rebuilding a new bird but swapping out all CHEAP plastic servos with metal gear... video here at link:
Death to Bixler - FPV RC Plane crash (3 min 10 sec)
Gotwings is offline Find More Posts by Gotwings
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwings View Post
One word of caution for 'first time' flying... (I was guilty of it and paid the price). If you put additional electronics on the bird while first learning -recognize it's an artificial curve with numerous additional 'points of failure' . For example, the gyro/flight stabilizer is great, but if you have the "balance mode" turned on when hand tossing - it WILL react to the way you throw it. The stabilizer is trying to fly level, so when you toss it at an angle, the bird responds to bring it back to level - hence, the higher angle of throw, the faster it will try to bring it back down. Subconsciously, you will grab the controls, over power the motor, pull the sticks and probably find yourself owning a lawn dart. Of course, the manual doesn't tell you this when your setting it up. Another thing I found on my bixler (before it died), was the modified motor extension put to much thrust on the nose - so it would not fly w/o full elevator. I used two spacer (washers) to angle the motor down (more parallel to the bird) in order to have forward thrust.

LIke all things, choose if you want to follow anyone's advise and learn from your own mistakes! Here's my video of the flight where hand toss in ABM (balance mode) forced the initial reaction - you'll see it knife turn 90 degrees, then dive toward the ground... TO note- due to the fast/violent reactions - STOCK servos are a major failure given plastic gears... I'm rebuilding a new bird but swapping out all CHEAP plastic servos with metal gear... video here at link:
http://youtu.be/xSrreQyfFzQ
Heck looks like an easy fix.

Sorry for your loss. While I didn't have all of the nice FPV gear I also lost control of my Skysurfer which tried to imitate a lawn dart. Thought I was going to throw it away but had it back together the next day and was flying the day after.

Here are some before and after pictures. She is not as pretty as before but she does still fly.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:11 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,598 Posts
And now more serious formation training!

FPV AWESOME FORMATION FLIGHT (14 min 7 sec)
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:52 PM
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Joined Mar 2007
278 Posts
I tested my Bixler 1.1 yesterday with a friend flying LOS and I was teting my ground station. I have a GoPro on board and a PZ0420. The video on my screen looked great, but the recorded videos on my GoPro have the jello effect.

Any suggestions of what I might do? I will try balancing the prop, but the motor is going to be a hard one since it is already glue in place. My motor is the Turnigy D2826-6 2200 Kv and I'm using a 6x4E APC prop.
OrlandoP is offline Find More Posts by OrlandoP
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:02 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoP View Post
I tested my Bixler 1.1 yesterday with a friend flying LOS and I was teting my ground station. I have a GoPro on board and a PZ0420. The video on my screen looked great, but the recorded videos on my GoPro have the jello effect.

Any suggestions of what I might do? I will try balancing the prop, but the motor is going to be a hard one since it is already glue in place. My motor is the Turnigy D2826-6 2200 Kv and I'm using a 6x4E APC prop.
Depends on how you've mounted your GoPro, if possible, try to use some kind of energy absorbing foam where your Gopro is in contact with the frame.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:35 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoP View Post

I suppose that you already balanced the motor itself.
Then check how far GoPro (any camera) from three wires from ESC to motor.
These wires produce a lot of radio noise. The best when ESC is close to motor.
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999