HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:57 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Has anyone cut a hatch out of the tail boom on their Bixler to mount their Rx or Vtx?

I'm running my GPS on one wing, Vtx on the other wing and want to mount my CL Rx as far down the back as possible. I dont like the idea of the Rx sitting on top of the boom as it seems like it will be in direct line of the prop wash. Is this an issue or am i worrying about nothing?

I am thinking of cutting a hatch out of the top of the boom, placing the Rx inside the boom then replacing the hatch and strengthening the area with some CF strips and some extreme packing tape. Is this a feasible option? or will i weaken the boom too much??
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:50 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
My FPV build

Hi everybody!
Finally I did it. I tried to make it as simple as possible.
Sony 520 TVL camera
Arduino MinimOSD on top of APM 2.5 with power sensor and GPS
Immersion VTx 5.8GHz 600mW
FatShark Dominators with 5.8GHz module
Spiro antennas on Tx&Rx.

I haven't one more channel to control tilt of camera. This is why a piece of foam is glued on back side of camera mount to fix tilt.

Waiting for good weather to test it in air. Ground test is completed.
In case of loosing of video signal I can activate RTL mode and safely return my Bixler to home. I hope. In case of loosing of radio control it will be activated automatically.

Name: 20130217_163319.jpg
Views: 175
Size: 179.7 KB
Description:
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:36 AM
Australia, NSW, Springwood
Joined Dec 2012
328 Posts
Bixler 1.1 intro video

Just a show 'n tell of my current FPV bird...

Intro to the Bixler 1.1 for FPV (mini review, comparison to Bixler 2) (11 min 52 sec)
ZaksterBlue is offline Find More Posts by ZaksterBlue
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:39 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jan 2013
113 Posts
While not first person video in the live, back to goggles, sense - I thought folks might appreciate a "video on a budget for bixler" post :-)

If you look carefully, you'll notice that is indeed a WLtoys V959 video camera mounted on a Bixler 1.1. If you're wondering how the heck I'm controlling the camera, click here!

flying in the AM - will post vids in the evening
lmhart is offline Find More Posts by lmhart
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:23 AM
Joined Sep 2010
306 Posts
I just finished my Bixler FPV plane. It is my second build (the first one was a Axn Clouds). Here is my setup and some pictures.

Control:
Turnigy 9X w/FrSky telemetry module and Er9X
2.4 GHz FrSky D8R-XP Rx

Video:
5.8 GHz ImmersionRC 600mW Tx
Fatshark Predator Goggles w/internal 5.8 GHz Rx
DIY Cloverleaf Antenna pair
Cyclops NOVA OSD

The wealth of information available on this forum has been a huge help in completing this build!

EDIT: I added a picture with annotations due to a request. Hopefully it helps newcomers!
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Last edited by Zangetsu57; Mar 05, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:36 AM
Joined Dec 2012
328 Posts
Wow, that's meticulous work, well done! So the whole fuse is held together with magnets? How rigid does it feel once snapped together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
I just finished my Bixler FPV plane. It is my second build (the first one was a Axn Clouds). Here is my setup and some pictures.

Control:
2.4 GHz FrSky D8R-XP Rx

Video:
Cyclops NOVA OSD

The wealth of information available on this forum has been a huge help in completing this build!
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:50 AM
Joined Sep 2010
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaksterBlue View Post
Wow, that's meticulous work, well done! So the whole fuse is held together with magnets? How rigid does it feel once snapped together?
Thanks, it took a *long* time. I just hope that I don't crash the thing. The magnets hold the fuselage halves together quite strongly, and the lite ply pod adds some more strength once the nylon nuts are attached. Just to be safe, I still run a small strip of fiberglass tape along the seam at the bottom and top (maybe 1-2cm wide). It is easily removable though because I laid fiberglass tape along the bottom of each half (for protection) as a "base layer".

Also not included in the picture, I use a velcro cable-tie around the foam just before the motor mount lip to hold that part strongly together. The wings are held together quite strongly with the magnets, though, and I don't use anything else. I put a layer of fiberglass tape on the spar and it holds it in the foam quite snugly, but there is enough give to allow the wings to pop off in the event of a crash.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:27 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Very nice build Zangetsu. Very nice indeed.

What KV 2826 is that? and is that a 7x5?
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Sep 2010
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
Very nice build Zangetsu. Very nice indeed.

What KV 2826 is that? and is that a 7x5?
It's a RCTimer 2826-6 2200KV motor, and the prop is a APC 7X4 thin electric. When flying without the FPV gear I had *plenty* of power; it only took about 65 - 75% throttle to take off over short grass. Hopefully with the plane weighed down there will still be enough punch.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:33 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:

Control:
2.4 GHz FrSky D8R-XP Rx

Video:
Cyclops NOVA OSD

Very nice build. Looks like you really took your time with building in all of the modifications.

I also see you are using the same folding table that I have. It's pretty sturdy and came with 2 vises. Real easy to throw into my truck for field work.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Sep 2010
306 Posts
One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the wing loading with the GoPro. I've planned to run 2x2200mAh packs in parallel with the GoPro, just to give some more flight time, but can run a single pack if necessary. When I maiden, however, I'm just going to fly a single pack and without the GoPro (baby steps).

I placed a carbon rod in the stock spar and gorilla glued it in, but as you folks know, the spar doesn't span the entire length of the wing. Should I consider putting a second spar in, or upgrading to a 8mm spar tube or rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Very nice build. Looks like you really took your time with building in all of the modifications.

I also see you are using the same folding table that I have. It's pretty sturdy and came with 2 vises. Real easy to throw into my truck for field work.
Thanks! And yeah, the Keter folding table is pretty sweet. I picked it up at Costco for only $50.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:31 AM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jan 2013
113 Posts
Quote:
Mate, that's a simply awesome layout. Is this the Bixler 2 or 1.1?

I'd love to see some annotations on the images to show which components are which - there's a lot of gear in there that newbies like myself have not yet come to recognise visually :-)

Would also be keen to see what sort of flight duration do you get with 1x vs 2x 2200mAh packs - I get 10 minutes on my 2200mAh (turnigy nanotech) powered standard Bixler 1.1 before the battery is down at 30-40% - that's with a mix of powered flight up to height and gliding down, 3-4 climbs. No accessories attached except a v959 camera borrowed from my quadcopter

Cheers

Leigh
lmhart is offline Find More Posts by lmhart
Last edited by lmhart; Mar 04, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:29 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the wing loading with the GoPro.
Good job done!
With such added weight really consider to add flaps.
BTW what is AUW in gramms is you setup?
I just want to compare with mine. Without FPV it was 1300g.
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhart View Post
Mate, that's a simply awesome layout. Is this the Bixler 2 or 1.1?

I'd love to see some annotations on the images to show which components are which - there's a lot of gear in there that newbies like myself have not yet come to recognise visually :-)

Would also be keen to see what sort of flight duration do you get with 1x vs 2x 2200mAh packs - I get 10 minutes on my 2200mAh (turnigy nanotech) powered standard Bixler 1.1 before the battery is down at 30-40% - that's with a mix of powered flight up to height and gliding down, 3-4 climbs. No accessories attached except a v959 camera borrowed from my quadcopter

Cheers

Leigh
It is the original Bixler 1. Yeah it looks a bit daunting at first with the mess of wires. A functional electronic drawing does wonders for clarity. If an annotated drawing would help, shoot me a PM.

As for pack size, I got about 10-15 minutes flight time with a 2200mAh pack without FPV gear. That said, I didn't make much of an effort to conserve power. I haven't flown this bird yet with FPV gear, but will report back once I do. I just need to get my goggles fixed first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio9999 View Post
Good job done!
With such added weight really consider to add flaps.
BTW what is AUW in gramms is you setup?
I just want to compare with mine. Without FPV it was 1300g.
Good idea. If I end up having trouble landing, I'll add them. I'm not sure what the weight is with gear as my scale only goes up to 1000g . I'll see if it comes in under 1kg with the pod and batteries removed; if it does, I can add up the individual weights.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:33 PM
Joined Dec 2012
328 Posts
Really loving this Bix1.1 and the way it glides straight and slow. Much more stable in gusts than the AXN.

Had a go at trying to find and follow a mate's (non FPV) AXN glider last week with my Bix1.1 while wearing the goggles. Was quite challenging, especially with the wind gusts that kept blowing his AXN out of the frame. Also ended up following a large white bird instead of him at one point... lol. Anyhow, my attempts are in the second half of this vid. You'll see why I chose the accompanying music if you watch it through. :-)

Jamison Park Compilation 1 (Bixler 1.1 FPV, 808 #16 V2 cam, AXN follow) (7 min 38 sec)