Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:57 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoP View Post
I RMRC really the only supplier in the US that has a motor I can use? I really doubt it. I now headsuprc.com has a lot of motors in the US, I'm just not sure which one to choose.

I have a couple of KDA 20-22L at home and some DT750, but I don't think those are adequate for the Bixler, they have low kV rating.
Order from HK's USA warehouse. They have a 2200kv Turnigy motor that is perfect for bix.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
350 watts and it comes with accessories. You may want to pick up some hxt900s and these $11 nano-techs with buddycode
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...wishlistresult
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Last edited by Koo; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:23 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
Order from HK's USA warehouse. They have a 2200kv Turnigy motor that is perfect for bix.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
350 watts and it comes with accessories. You may want to pick up some hxt900s and these $11 nano-techs with buddycode
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...wishlistresult
If your willing to wait for a good motor, RCtimer has a great selection of motors, great motors at that. I run one of their 2200 kv motors on a 7x4 prop. Has treated me very well.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:23 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
There are a ton of options that will have you more than satisfied and back in the air. I've had a grayson hobby mega jet (http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...r74egqr14ereu7) on my Bix and it was ballistic.

I also have a 2212/06 (https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?i...7&pid=B2632603) which is dirt cheap if you already have the ESC (30a).

Can't go wrong with either of those choices. Why wait 3 weeks for a motor and take your chances on a DOA or lack of inventory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoP View Post
Can anyone recommend me a motor for my Bixler that ships from the US and doesn't take 3 weeks to get here? I'm not looking for Hobbyking prices obviously, but something reasonable, I buy most stuff from RMRC, but 70 for a motor is too much.

I don't know the exact weight of my plane, but it is a Bixler 1.1, with PZ0420 camera, 2200 - 4,000 mAh Lipo, 1.3 vTx with V antenna and a 2.4 receiver (I know, I know, that's all I have).

Also, I plan to use the CNC outrunner mount, so more options are available.

Thanks!
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:26 AM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the rctimer and Turnigy motors come from the same factory
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:49 AM
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Joined Mar 2007
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicToast View Post
There are a ton of options that will have you more than satisfied and back in the air. I've had a grayson hobby mega jet (http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...r74egqr14ereu7) on my Bix and it was ballistic.

I also have a 2212/06 (https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?i...7&pid=B2632603) which is dirt cheap if you already have the ESC (30a).

Can't go wrong with either of those choices. Why wait 3 weeks for a motor and take your chances on a DOA or lack of inventory?
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for, reasonably priced and with US shipping.
OrlandoP is online now Find More Posts by OrlandoP
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:27 AM
Australia, NSW, Springwood
Joined Dec 2012
326 Posts
HK Bixler 1.1 vs Bixler 2

Hi all, I posted this info in a Bixler2 forum and someone suggested I should contribute here as well. Reposting in case anyone is shopping for a new glider/fpv bird and is considering these two choices:

The 1.1 is an excellent glider. Having built (from kit) and flown both, I can say the 1.1 is more rigid in both wing and body than the 2, and handles speed much better than the 2. I can go WOT with the 2826-6 2200kv (which goes fully vertical with a 6x4) and the 1.1 wings do not flap, whereas the V2 flapped badly with stock spars. The 1.1 feels more 'on rails' in the handling, more like a AXN glider, perhaps because of the better size ratios of fuse/wing but also because of the rigidity and less slop in the horns and clevises.

And the best part for me as a budding FPV'er is the massive cavern of space in the 1.1 fuse - you have no obstructions at all from nose tip to the rear of wing. And you can reach it all because of the rear access hatch. That's awesome for configuring FPV gear and big batteries any way you want.

Even weighed down with FPV gear, OSD+GPS, 2650mah+500/850mah video batteries, the 1.1 glides beautifully and will maintain altitude in light thermals. Without FPV weight, it's just fun and will out-thermal an AXN.

My FPV setup at the moment is pretty budget but works fine as I'm just getting into it. 808 #16 V2-D keychain cam for both 720p recording and live video feed, powered from the video battery through an IRC 600mw vtx. Also have an Arkbird OSD which I've just installed and am still getting settings sorted but initial impressesions are good - seems better than the Cyclops Storm OSD I had, for a number of 'safety critical' reasons. Still experimenting with battery weight vs glide performance - I like to climb and power off. 2200+850 works well for this, 2650+850 ok... not sure I'd go much heavier for gliding.

Happy to discuss any of this gear if anyone has questions.
ZaksterBlue is offline Find More Posts by ZaksterBlue
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:01 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,626 Posts
New bixler vid, semi-nocturnal flight right after sunset, night-vision intermitently on and off.

Please enjoy it!

SUNSET FPV (15 min 10 sec)

Cheers!
Jandro.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:32 AM
Lifeguard
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaksterBlue View Post
Hi all, I posted this info in a Bixler2 forum and someone suggested I should contribute here as well. Reposting in case anyone is shopping for a new glider/fpv bird and is considering these two choices:

The 1.1 is an excellent glider. Having built (from kit) and flown both, I can say the 1.1 is more rigid in both wing and body than the 2, and handles speed much better than the 2. I can go WOT with the 2826-6 2200kv (which goes fully vertical with a 6x4) and the 1.1 wings do not flap, whereas the V2 flapped badly with stock spars. The 1.1 feels more 'on rails' in the handling, more like a AXN glider, perhaps because of the better size ratios of fuse/wing but also because of the rigidity and less slop in the horns and clevises.

And the best part for me as a budding FPV'er is the massive cavern of space in the 1.1 fuse - you have no obstructions at all from nose tip to the rear of wing. And you can reach it all because of the rear access hatch. That's awesome for configuring FPV gear and big batteries any way you want.

Even weighed down with FPV gear, OSD+GPS, 2650mah+500/850mah video batteries, the 1.1 glides beautifully and will maintain altitude in light thermals. Without FPV weight, it's just fun and will out-thermal an AXN.

My FPV setup at the moment is pretty budget but works fine as I'm just getting into it. 808 #16 V2-D keychain cam for both 720p recording and live video feed, powered from the video battery through an IRC 600mw vtx. Also have an Arkbird OSD which I've just installed and am still getting settings sorted but initial impressesions are good - seems better than the Cyclops Storm OSD I had, for a number of 'safety critical' reasons. Still experimenting with battery weight vs glide performance - I like to climb and power off. 2200+850 works well for this, 2650+850 ok... not sure I'd go much heavier for gliding.

Happy to discuss any of this gear if anyone has questions.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the bix. Always appreciated!

Hope you enjoy flying your rig!
Twiggs is offline Find More Posts by Twiggs
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:33 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the rctimer and Turnigy motors come from the same factory
No. The design is distinctly different. Some time ago, RC Timer were providing Suppo motors.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
New bixler vid, semi-nocturnal flight right after sunset, night-vision intermitently on and off.

Please enjoy it!

https://vimeo.com/59318680

Cheers!
Jandro.
Thanks for sharing! Really enjoyed this video...
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:12 AM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Just looking for feedback - has anybody tried my camera mount on the Bixler 2? I get asked all the time if they are compatible and I don't have a Bixler 2 yet..

-Steve
www.ilovepfv.com
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:28 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefpv View Post
Thanks for sharing! Really enjoyed this video...
You're welcome indeed!

I have another one coming soon!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:24 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,626 Posts
And here it is:

Low Light FPV Flight (6 min 28 sec)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jan 2013
113 Posts
Hmm, content owner has prevented viewing on mobile devices...?
lmhart is offline Find More Posts by lmhart
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:39 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,626 Posts
That'll be because of the music...
It should work on the PC then.
That's why I dislike Youtube...