HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
I finally got an 808 Keychain Cam, and was so excited I just had to edit together a little video. Nothing excited, mostly me puttering around a big field, so I kept it pretty short. Mostly wanted to share my dog chasing after the plane like a lunatic.

Second FPV Flight - Leisurely Laps around the field (3 min 17 sec)
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:19 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,843 Posts
Selling my Skysurfer:

http://www.rcgroups.com/fpv-rpv-equi...cles-fs-w-710/
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:08 PM
Missouri
Joined Aug 2004
116 Posts
Done at last!

I've just finished reading the entire thread! It took almost 3 days. Some place around page 74-75 someone finally posted a link to the much talked about 'original bixler' thread. Since that applies to problems and mods, i don't think i'll be reading the entire thing, and it was 1001+ pages...

Feel like i've been with you guys from the beginning. Now if my Bixler will just arrive!
enuro12 is offline Find More Posts by enuro12
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Welcome enuro12!

-Steve
www.ilovefpv.com
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal View Post
I finally got an 808 Keychain Cam, and was so excited I just had to edit together a little video. Nothing excited, mostly me puttering around a big field, so I kept it pretty short. Mostly wanted to share my dog chasing after the plane like a lunatic.

https://vimeo.com/51854731
That looks awful familiar. I lived in Charleston back in the late 60's-early 70's.
The coldest I ever felt was a temp 26 with a 15+ mph wind blowing across the flight deck of the USS Yorktown. I used to hang out at the end of the runways at the AFB watching the C-17s land and take off. Love the area.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
That looks awful familiar. I lived in Charleston back in the late 60's-early 70's.
The coldest I ever felt was a temp 26 with a 15+ mph wind blowing across the flight deck of the USS Yorktown. I used to hang out at the end of the runways at the AFB watching the C-17s land and take off. Love the area.
Good eye! I'm surprised you recognized anything with my shaky piloting skills

Attached is a map of where I was flying. It's hard to find a good place to fly around here (as a newbie pilot). Anywhere close to the peninsula is too built up with buildings/houses. Or it is covered in swamp haha And up north is the Charleston Airport, which I don't want to get close too.

Once I'm more comfortable flying, all the water will make for some great cruising.

We just moved to Charleston about 5 months ago...I absolutely love it! We moved from Boston, MA so the temperature is a welcome relief. We are having a great time down here...good food, good weather, beautiful scenery. Can't ask for more
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal View Post
Good eye! I'm surprised you recognized anything with my shaky piloting skills

Attached is a map of where I was flying. It's hard to find a good place to fly around here (as a newbie pilot). Anywhere close to the peninsula is too built up with buildings/houses. Or it is covered in swamp haha And up north is the Charleston Airport, which I don't want to get close too.

Once I'm more comfortable flying, all the water will make for some great cruising.

We just moved to Charleston about 5 months ago...I absolutely love it! We moved from Boston, MA so the temperature is a welcome relief. We are having a great time down here...good food, good weather, beautiful scenery. Can't ask for more
There's one thing I don't get. All the "beautification" done to make the town so fantastic looking, the building restorations, the landscaping, etc... Why are the downtown roads the absolute worst? OMG.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
There's one thing I don't get. All the "beautification" done to make the town so fantastic looking, the building restorations, the landscaping, etc... Why are the downtown roads the absolute worst? OMG.
I used to think Boston had the worst roads. Poorly or completely unmarked, crazy street arrangements, streets that change name halfway through without telling you, no parking...

But then I moved to Charleston and realized that this place, truly, has the worst roads ever. Totally agree...I have no idea why the streets are so bad considering all the money they've dumped into restoration!
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:29 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,160 Posts
I made a few changes, added the Go Pro in the nose. The nose had been re inforced with 10mill NS strip, 2" wide that leads to the rear. Also the bottom of my Dragon Link antenna added a spring to it so it's vertical in flight and folds under during landings.
AUTUMN ROLLING HILLS (4 min 26 sec)
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Float Fly 8 21 14
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Sep 2010
299 Posts
Does anyone know if the bixler has enough power with a 2836-6 2200kv motor to take off directly from sand at a beach? I'd like to fly FPV at a beach but just don't like hand launching. As a possible point of reference, my Axn with the same motor and similar weight have no trouble taking off from grass.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
Does anyone know if the bixler has enough power with a 2836-6 2200kv motor to take off directly from sand at a beach? I'd like to fly FPV at a beach but just don't like hand launching. As a possible point of reference, my Axn with the same motor and similar weight have no trouble taking off from grass.
With a good landing gear it will roll and take off from low grass or anything smooth like a sandy beach. Just make sure you do a good job attaching the struts and use 3 inch tires.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,758 Posts
And now I'm proud to present you...

My first FPV recording:
FPV 1st Solo Flight (7 min 10 sec)

Hope you really enjoy it!
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
manchester, England
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
I had a bixler 1 with a 1760kv running off 3s 2200mah with a 7x4 prop and it would take off smoothly from damp sand... so i think the 2200 should be fine... ive got the same motor myself, just not had chance to get her back out again.
michaeljohng is offline Find More Posts by michaeljohng
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Took my plane up in the 20-25 mph winds of Hurricane Sandy today. Got to just below the cloud cover. Challenging flight. Even at half throttle I could pretty much get the plane to stand still into the wind!!

Huricane Sandy and my RC plane FPV video (5 min 35 sec)
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Last edited by Maddmax; Oct 29, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Sep 2010
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohng View Post
I had a bixler 1 with a 1760kv running off 3s 2200mah with a 7x4 prop and it would take off smoothly from damp sand... so i think the 2200 should be fine... ive got the same motor myself, just not had chance to get her back out again.
Good to hear. Was this without a landing gear?
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57