HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Sorry for double-posting... but: There is a cable that comes with the 808 that fits in the receiver module of the SS (standard servo plug). The other end is an micro USB connector that obviously fits in the camera. Will this provide me with enough boost to power up the camera during flights (provided of course the LIPO is fully charged (:-))?

Has anybody used this setup with successful results?
Wiciman is offline Find More Posts by Wiciman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:21 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,843 Posts
I just discovered the 808 with composite-out myself - Ordered and waiting for arrival.

I am pretty sure that the 5V is more than enough .. however I don't know if it just charges the LiPo or it actually powers the camera...
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiciman View Post
Sorry for double-posting... but: There is a cable that comes with the 808 that fits in the receiver module of the SS (standard servo plug). The other end is an micro USB connector that obviously fits in the camera. Will this provide me with enough boost to power up the camera during flights (provided of course the LIPO is fully charged (:-))?

Has anybody used this setup with successful results?
I have the cable but have not put it to use as of yet since my flights are short and the battery is usually charged. I guess I should at least test it out.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:51 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,160 Posts
FRONT SEAT SOARING (2 min 47 sec)
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Float Fly 8 21 14
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:58 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quick question about frequencies and trees. I'm using a 1.2ghz radio and a 5.8ghz Video system right now. It's working great, but obviously trees are a problem due to the 5.8gh video. Unfortunately, the area I live in is very wooded...trying to find open spaces without trees is very difficult. I'm going to quickly exhaust the locations that I can fly.

Should I eventually upgrade my setup to 900mhz? Do frequencies that low basically ignore trees, or will I still need to find a relatively un-wooded area to fly?
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:17 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal View Post
Quick question about frequencies and trees. I'm using a 1.2ghz radio and a 5.8ghz Video system right now. It's working great, but obviously trees are a problem due to the 5.8gh video. Unfortunately, the area I live in is very wooded...trying to find open spaces without trees is very difficult. I'm going to quickly exhaust the locations that I can fly.

Should I eventually upgrade my setup to 900mhz? Do frequencies that low basically ignore trees, or will I still need to find a relatively un-wooded area to fly?
Not quite the thread to ask this question in, try the 'How to be successful in FPV' thread, should get some help there.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Not quite the thread to ask this question in, try the 'How to be successful in FPV' thread, should get some help there.
Will do, thanks.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
299 Posts
Does the stock bixler include snap-on clevises for the push rods, or just angled push rods? If it is the the latter, is it worthwhile to upgrade to a clevis?
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Took my Sky Surfer out for another flight today, but had some pretty serious radio control problems. My video feed was flawless, but the flight controls cut out pretty regularly. I'm using the stock "x-uav" 6 channel, 2.4ghz receiver and the stock 4 channel transmitter/radio. I don't think range was a problem - I was keeping the plane pretty close.

The receiver is mounted inside the fuselage, next to ESC, battery and part of the OSD. Was it too close to all these components, causing interference? The video transmitter is mounted in the very back of the plane to keep it away from the 2.4ghz system, and the GPS unit is about halfway between the two.

Edit: Checked the telemetry feed from EZOSD, and the farthest out I got was 240m. Definitely should have had full flight control at that short of a distance...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by polyfractal; Sep 29, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
What USB dongle and trainer cable for using simulator with the stock RTF TX?

Hi

On the back of my TX (RTF package, Skysurfer V1), there is a Trainer port.

What Dongle and Cable Harness can you guys recommend me buying for use with f ex the Phoenix RC Sim?

How about this dongle?

http://dx.com/p/usb-2-0-almighty-fli...e-51480?item=3

Do I need an additional cable such as this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simulator-Re...8992465&sr=1-1
Wiciman is offline Find More Posts by Wiciman
Last edited by Wiciman; Sep 30, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:12 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal View Post
Took my Sky Surfer out for another flight today, but had some pretty serious radio control problems. My video feed was flawless, but the flight controls cut out pretty regularly. I'm using the stock "x-uav" 6 channel, 2.4ghz receiver and the stock 4 channel transmitter/radio. I don't think range was a problem - I was keeping the plane pretty close.

The receiver is mounted inside the fuselage, next to ESC, battery and part of the OSD. Was it too close to all these components, causing interference? The video transmitter is mounted in the very back of the plane to keep it away from the 2.4ghz system, and the GPS unit is about halfway between the two.

Edit: Checked the telemetry feed from EZOSD, and the farthest out I got was 240m. Definitely should have had full flight control at that short of a distance...

You wanna keep the 2.4GHz Transmitter far away from ESC, OSD and GPS. The Video Transmitter is in a good position. However what is the X-UAV 6CH System? Never saw, heard of it. Care to share a bit more details?

I isolate all components using Copper foil from each other Since the Skysurfer is pretty small in payload. That seems to work fine. I have the ESC right next to the Transmitter Antenna (shielded with Copper foil) and get almost 3 miles of Video Range on 5.8GHz without any static using CL and SPW antennas.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
You wanna keep the 2.4GHz Transmitter far away from ESC, OSD and GPS. The Video Transmitter is in a good position. However what is the X-UAV 6CH System? Never saw, heard of it. Care to share a bit more details?

I isolate all components using Copper foil from each other Since the Skysurfer is pretty small in payload. That seems to work fine. I have the ESC right next to the Transmitter Antenna (shielded with Copper foil) and get almost 3 miles of Video Range on 5.8GHz without any static using CL and SPW antennas.
I wish I could share more details about the X-UAV. It came with the stock RTF kit, but I literally cannot find details about it anywhere on the internet. No manual, no spec sheet, nothing. I've only seen it referenced from RTF kits in broken Chinese-english descriptions. I imagine it isn't a very high quality piece of hardware...

Do you ground the copper foil to anything, or just wrap the components?
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:43 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,843 Posts
I ground it using a piece of wire pointing to the earth ground - similar to an antenna. Probably I could ground it using the LiPo - but than I might great a GND loop .. the wire is enough I believe - works on Antennas as well on this. Don't even know if I had to do it. I can take some pictures later tonight how it looks.

Yeah get rid of the stock setup - it's actually FlySky that manufactures that X-UAV stuff, however I have a feeling that they only use B-Class production units. Anyway, I highly suggest to upgrade to a Turnigy/FlySky 9X (you can use the same 6CH Receiver for it) and get a Smartyboard to upgrade to the er9x firmware.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
I ground it using a piece of wire pointing to the earth ground - similar to an antenna. Probably I could ground it using the LiPo - but than I might great a GND loop .. the wire is enough I believe - works on Antennas as well on this. Don't even know if I had to do it. I can take some pictures later tonight how it looks.

Yeah get rid of the stock setup - it's actually FlySky that manufactures that X-UAV stuff, however I have a feeling that they only use B-Class production units. Anyway, I highly suggest to upgrade to a Turnigy/FlySky 9X (you can use the same 6CH Receiver for it) and get a Smartyboard to upgrade to the er9x firmware.
Great, thanks for the help! I'll look into adding the copper foil this weekend. And honestly, I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my controller/transmitter, so this looks to be just the reason I need
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:31 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,107 Posts
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the SS from Readymaderc.com.

I will be installing the cnc motor mount so I can swing a bigger prop and run a bigger motor than stock.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking the firepower 450 sport from Headsuprc.com with a APC 8X5E. The numbers from Headsup show 24 ounces of thrust @ 17 amps w/ APC 8X6 w/ 3s battery.

If the SS AUW is 39 ounces will 24 ounces of thrust be enough?
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher