SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:46 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I wouldn't trust Spectrum stuff as far as I can throw it, I have gone over a mile with my Devo using 1.3Ghz and no low pass filters, I have done 5km with no glitches using a Windsurfer parabolic (I recommend this for anyone flying 2.4Ghz RC FPV)

Windsurfer antenna (Print the template, cut, add tin foil :P): http://www.freeantennas.com/projects...te2/index.html

(NOTE: Pic shows a 1 watt amp but I don't fly with it do to interference problems with my 1.3Ghz video link...)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:06 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Possible brownout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Ilovefpv,

What is furthest range you have pushed your AR6200 with Sat to?

Incidentally, I was within 200m when I had my drama today.
How much output does your BEC have (for real, not the rating). A low voltage brownout on the radio will produce exactly that behavior. Eventually the ESC/BEC will cool off and power will return.

I lost a plane this way once and now I put an external BEC on just about everything. Plus I use a Hitec RX that is powered directly from the battery.

Testing for this problem on the ground is difficult but not impossible. Various threads discuss it.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:41 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
How much output does your BEC have (for real, not the rating). A low voltage brownout on the radio will produce exactly that behavior. Eventually the ESC/BEC will cool off and power will return.
Ah yes.....I think you are onto it. I am using an Eflite 30AMP Pro ESC with switch BEC 5V built in. I am not using an external BEC and probably should be?
I also am using a FY30A for stabilization, so this would also make the use of a BEC even more important.
I have never used an external BEC before, and have never used this type of setup previous either, requiring more voltage etc. Well......a BEC capable of meeting Amp draw......

Can you suggest a reliable BEC that will run 4 servos and the FY30A?
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grazer; Jul 14, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Ah yes.....I think you are onto it. I am using an Eflite 30AMP Pro ESC with switch BEC 5V built in. I am not using an external BEC and probably should be?
I also am using a FY30A for stabilization, so this would also make the use of a BEC even more important.
I have never used an external BEC before, and have never used this type of setup previous either, requiring more voltage etc. Well......a BEC capable of meeting Amp draw......

Can you suggest a reliable BEC that will run 4 servos and the FY30A?
A good 3A will do you fine, I use a 7A in my plane which powers the RX, 5 servos, and FY31AP.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:10 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,856 Posts
What's the ideal CG spot for the bixler?
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
What's the ideal CG spot for the bixler?
58 to 60mm from LE, or about the leading edge of the servo wire covers.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:38 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,856 Posts
Thanks, today I maidened mine and everything seems right (It goes vertical as my Eurofighter and Sukhoi jets combined with a 600W brushless setup) save for a little issue about wing bending. It's flexing so bad using stock setup...

Best fixes?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, today I maidened mine and everything seems right (It goes vertical as my Eurofighter and Sukhoi jets combined with a 600W brushless setup) save for a little issue about wing bending. It's flexing so bad using stock setup...

Best fixes?
Put a second CF spar inside the stock one, add another set of spars to the wing... this plane has a lot of wing flex, I fly mine weighing in around 1300 grams AUW with only a second CF spar inside of the stock one, there is wing flex but I don't fly fast, I got for efficiency instead, I can only climb about 0.3 meters a second, but I can stay aloft for 30 min with a 2700mah battery .
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,856 Posts
I will start putting that second spar inside the stock one but I guess it won't be enough because I'm very likely to get speed easily, specially when fpving... (Have I invented a new word?)

So any ideas as to how to drill a new hole of that lenghth in order to set a thicker spar?

Here go some pics of my maiden:

Bending so hard...

Cheers!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
I will start putting that second spar inside the stock one but I guess it won't be enough because I'm very likely to get speed easily, specially when fpving... (Have I invented a new word?)

So any ideas as to how to drill a new hole of that lenghth in order to set a thicker spar?

Cheers!
go to first few posts of the skysurfer/bixler thread (original one, not fpv) and there is a how to for drilling out and installing a 8mm spar. I have done this and added a 6mm CF strip further back in wing.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:57 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,856 Posts
Thanks indeed!

I've already found the thread and gave me some good ideas! ^^

Why is the 3mm CF rod under the fuselage so mandatory for FPV??

Is the tail really flexing that bad?

Here go some pics of my modding:

Motor mount

Detail of motor mount

Foam is offset with a cutter to allow the motor mount fit between the two fuselage halves

GPS module on top of the tail

Cheers!
Jandro.
Last edited by SU-4ever; Jul 15, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:23 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
The bottom cf rod is not necessary. I only used it on my very first plane and have never used it on any of my other ones. I just run a piece of black duct tape along the bottom of my planes to keep them from getting scarred up on landings.

If you really want to stiffen your wings and tail up, laminate them.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:04 AM
me, right now.
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Nov 2009
498 Posts
Hey,

Cool paint job SU-4ever!

I'm selling my Bixler with my complete 5.8ghz foxtech fpv setup. Comes as a BnF with orange satellite rx.

Check it out; http://www.ebay.com/itm/110917249471...84.m1555.l2649
hooligan russ is offline Find More Posts by hooligan russ
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
If you don't sell the fpv package on ebay, let me know and I'll take just the plane from you. You should have no problem selling the other stuff in the classifieds here.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan russ View Post
Hey,

Cool paint job SU-4ever!

I'm selling my Bixler with my complete 5.8ghz foxtech fpv setup. Comes as a BnF with orange satellite rx.

Check it out; http://www.ebay.com/itm/110917249471...84.m1555.l2649
That a very good deal. I am sure it will be snapped up quickly. Good luck.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202