HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:53 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
That would've been very scarey but soo cool at the same time!
It's help having an artificial horizon (like I spose you have).

I only have a nova osd, but if conditions are calm and SS/bix is trimmed out right, it should keep itself level, just need to use a bit of rudder to maintain heading on OSD and maintain needed climb rate.

I really wanna fly into some low cloud now!
If I remember correctly Nova uses IR for levelling, which would get completely screwed in a cloud :P.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:50 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
If I remember correctly Nova uses IR for levelling, which would get completely screwed in a cloud :P.
So you feel using an infrared stabilization hardware like the CoPilot would be useless in the clouds?

IR energy can be affected by the environment but I wonder how much. The earth will still put out more heat through the cloud then the sky through the cloud. The IR sensors should still be able to determine up and down but I have to do some research on that.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:54 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
So you feel using an infrared stabilization hardware like the CoPilot would be useless in the clouds?

IR energy can be affected by the environment but I wonder how much. The earth will still put out more heat through the cloud then the sky through the cloud. The IR sensors should still be able to determine up and down but I have to do some research on that.
I haven't flown an IR based system so I don't know from experience... The Nova OSD was one I was considering but because I live in a mountainous zone I decided against it... I imagine it would work well in thin clouds, but I imagine a thick cloud like I flew in yesterday and being deep into it would eventually have an effect... only one way to find out, someone take their Nova OSD and fly a few hundred meters up through a thick cloud!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
I haven't flown an IR based system so I don't know from experience... The Nova OSD was one I was considering but because I live in a mountainous zone I decided against it... I imagine it would work well in thin clouds, but I imagine a thick cloud like I flew in yesterday and being deep into it would eventually have an effect... only one way to find out, someone take their Nova OSD and fly a few hundred meters up through a thick cloud!
Or read the specs on the hardware and stay within the limitations that they set.

Based on my experience IR energy can be detected through clouds. The limitations is the sensing hardware and what it tell is the difference between ground and sky. Cheaper hardware probably would not be able to work inside a cloud or for that matter in a very high humidity.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:41 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Yea RTH wouldn't be any good lol!
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly711 View Post
The TowerPro MG90's and Hextronik MG -14's are the same size as the HXT 900's. They come with their own servo horns and should be a straight swap.

Donnie
I have done some ebay research and it seems the more common version is the TP MG90s (I guess you refer to the "non-S" version"?).

Anyone tested the two versions against one another in a Sky Surfer/ Bixler RTF setup?

On ebay I can find 8 pcs of the MG90s with free worldwide shipping (albeit without the Tower Pro logo...):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/8x-MG90S-Meta...item3f0b39fb67
Wiciman is offline Find More Posts by Wiciman
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:32 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,460 Posts
Declaration - also posted same question in main Bixler thread.

Hi Guys,

Just received today my second Bixler. First one is still going strong and has been adapted for FPV. Running stock motor, 30A ESC, 2200Mah 3S and APC 6x4E. Also did a heap of common mods when I first got it with carbon fibre etc.

So Bixler #2 is also going to carry a heap of FPV and am considering a motor change. I already have the CNC adjustable motor mount. Now need some advice on motor and prop combo.

I had an idea to put a PZ Stryker motor (2200Kv) on with the stock prop setup and 40A ESC, however I am not looking for speed, more so torque to carry added weight of FPV gear whilst retaining battery efficiency. Why switch from stock motor? Well I wanted to go for a more reliable (not that I have had any trouble with Bix 1) motor and prop that was more suited to FPV use.

Thanks in advance.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:22 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,285 Posts
Well I've finally started building / painting / modding my bixler-surfer-easystarcopy-call_it-X airplane.

Here goes a first view of the painted wing:

I'll keep posting updates.

Cheers!
Jandro.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:57 AM
BKK, Thailand
Joined Nov 2010
38 Posts
Bixler

Hi,

I just order HK Bixler and and Diy Bixler camera mount.
Below link is buddy price for Bixler camera mount , it's only $1.72.
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...2-3EDA36214C4D
Hidden Dragon is offline Find More Posts by Hidden Dragon
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:09 AM
Will try to fly anything.
United States, TX, Athens
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiciman View Post
I have done some ebay research and it seems the more common version is the TP MG90s (I guess you refer to the "non-S" version"?).

Anyone tested the two versions against one another in a Sky Surfer/ Bixler RTF setup?

On ebay I can find 8 pcs of the MG90s with free worldwide shipping (albeit without the Tower Pro logo...):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/8x-MG90S-Meta...item3f0b39fb67
There are two versions of the TowerPro MG-90, the std one and the MG-90S. I've always used the regular MG-90 metal geared servos for my helis. Can't remember the difference but I would not buy the unmarked ones off of ebay. They aren't the same servos. I would buy the real things from someone like HobbyKing or another reputable dealer that have the real TowerPro servos and not the unmarked ones.

Donnie
DragonFly711 is offline Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:32 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,460 Posts
I really didn't know where to post this. But think this is the best place all considerd.

Flew Bixler today FPV. Using Spektrum 2.4ghz Rx / Tx and 5.8ghz VTx / RTx.
Only a couple of mins into flight, I lost control of all servos (no response to stick inputs) and throttle actually increased to about 3/4. I lowered the throttle to nil and it still 3/4 throttle.
The plane was heading down at about a 30 degree angle and banking left. This lasted about 4 seconds (felt like ten mins).
Suddenly I had control again, and immediately got the plane down for a safe landing.

I have checked all the electronics back at home. All tests well and working.

Only one thing I can think of. I had my mobile phone in my jacket pocket and it rang about when this happened. Is it possible this caused interference? Any other ideas?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
I really didn't know where to post this. But think this is the best place all considerd.

Flew Bixler today FPV. Using Spektrum 2.4ghz Rx / Tx and 5.8ghz VTx / RTx.
Only a couple of mins into flight, I lost control of all servos (no response to stick inputs) and throttle actually increased to about 3/4. I lowered the throttle to nil and it still 3/4 throttle.
The plane was heading down at about a 30 degree angle and banking left. This lasted about 4 seconds (felt like ten mins).
Suddenly I had control again, and immediately got the plane down for a safe landing.

I have checked all the electronics back at home. All tests well and working.

Only one thing I can think of. I had my mobile phone in my jacket pocket and it rang about when this happened. Is it possible this caused interference? Any other ideas?
I wouldn't think a cell phone could interfere with your 2.4ghz control but it seems something caused you to lose the link. Do you know what freq you cell phone uses?

Another place to look is the Spectrum receiver hardware & antenna. There are a number of different types out there. Some with one ant others with 2. Also some are for short range flights and other for long range.

Has this signal loss happened to you before?

Vince
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:55 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,460 Posts
I read that cell phones use 1.9ghz, but I am no expert on this.

Spektrum Rx in use was an AR6200 with satellite. It's a DSM2 one.

Also, had this placed down the tail boom (within fuse) and I have got a carbon rod running the length of the fuse too. Maybe that has contributed too.

Never had this issue previous, on this plane or anything else I fly. It is a bit annoying because I just don't know what caused it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post

Spektrum Rx in use was an AR6200 with satellite. It's a DSM2 one.
That's what I'm using - works great for me!

-Steve
www.ilovefpv.com - Bixler FPV
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,460 Posts
Ilovefpv,

What is furthest range you have pushed your AR6200 with Sat to?

Incidentally, I was within 200m when I had my drama today.
RCG Plus Member