SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:15 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
The stock servos are crap and can easily be popped out by prying it gently out with a screwdriver.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Thanx. A mild force with the screwdriver will be tried... For the replacements, what do you suggest? HXT900 have gotten mixed reviews, a lot of DOA cases according to the reviews on HK site... Alternatives with a better price/quality ratio?
Wiciman is offline Find More Posts by Wiciman
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:26 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I use the HXT900s myself. They are reasonably cheap and they'll last a while. Although they do tend to strip the gears internally rather quickly after hard crashes. I usually keep a bunch on hand. I am planning to switch to metal gear servos shortly but have not researched it yet.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:11 AM
Will try to fly anything.
United States, TX, Athens
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
For some reasonably priced metal geared servos you might look at trying either the Tower Pro MG 90's or the Hextronik MG-14's.

I've ran both types for years on 450 helis and they are tough as nails and have never stripped a gear on either type and have had multiple crashes that would have torn regular servos to pieces. Both are priced under $10 each and can be found at HobbyKing or other sites that sell servos.

I'm fixing to buy another Bixler and put the Hextronik metal geared servos off one of my old helis onto it. I'm using the HXT900's right now but as mentioned, they have a tendency to strip gears on hard landings. Fortunately, I haven't had any accidents as of yet.

Donnie
DragonFly711 is offline Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Thanx, are these metal gear servos as easy to install as the non-metal ones and will they co-operate well with my other equipment (stock)? I'd rather not have to buy additional gear right now (plane brand new)...

Here is the prior-to-crash experience!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7aRD...eature=mh_lolz
Last edited by Wiciman; Jul 07, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:35 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Flew my Bixler FPV today. First attempt at FPV on any plane. It was awesome and I am totally hooked.

1st flight - I flew LOS, my buddy wore the Fatsharks and monitored range / tested gear.
2nd flight - my buddy flew LOS and I wore Fatsharks to get accustomed to angle of view etc
3rd flight - I flew FPV, with my buddy on stand-by and tracking LOS in case of trouble.

Wow! It was a real thrill and I can't wait to go again. My flying mates were surprised at range with basic antenna setup (as was I) and the GoPro is the perfect camera for it too.

Very happy with the kit I bought from Readymade RC.

Next items:

OSD with GPS - I think stick with the Immersion EZ OSD.

Duo Diversity / Patch antennas / antenna tracker pan / tilt
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:30 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Quick edit of last night's sunset FPV flight.

FPV Friday Night fun (3 min 2 sec)

808 #16, 1.280 RHCP, SkySurfer with custom FPV pod.
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:13 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Flew my Bixler FPV today. First attempt at FPV on any plane. It was awesome and I am totally hooked.

1st flight - I flew LOS, my buddy wore the Fatsharks and monitored range / tested gear.
2nd flight - my buddy flew LOS and I wore Fatsharks to get accustomed to angle of view etc
3rd flight - I flew FPV, with my buddy on stand-by and tracking LOS in case of trouble.

Wow! It was a real thrill and I can't wait to go again. My flying mates were surprised at range with basic antenna setup (as was I) and the GoPro is the perfect camera for it too.

Very happy with the kit I bought from Readymade RC.

Next items:

OSD with GPS - I think stick with the Immersion EZ OSD.

Duo Diversity / Patch antennas / antenna tracker pan / tilt
What kit did you purchase as i would love to try.
I'm thinking 5.8 would be good for me as distance isn't real important at this point.
My friend and I have gopros and hk wing cams but would love to see a laymans setup without all the Nasa type talk.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:50 PM
Will try to fly anything.
United States, TX, Athens
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiciman View Post
Thanx, are these metal gear servos as easy to install as the non-metal ones and will they co-operate well with my other equipment (stock)? I'd rather not have to buy additional gear right now (plane brand new)...

Here is the prior-to-crash experience!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7aRD...eature=mh_lolz
The TowerPro MG90's and Hextronik MG -14's are the same size as the HXT 900's. They come with their own servo horns and should be a straight swap.

Donnie
DragonFly711 is offline Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Flight Stabalizer

Has anyone heard of either of these two type of control stabilization hardware systems?

JCX-M6 Flight Controller

Eagle Hobby A3 Micro Flight Controller

They are both inexpensive control boards (about $35 to $40 ea) that help keep your RC plane in level flight.

Probably a Chinese knockoff of the Eagle Tree but I wanted some feedback from anyone that heard about them. Thanks
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Has anyone heard of either of these two type of control stabilization hardware systems?

JCX-M6 Flight Controller

Eagle Hobby A3 Micro Flight Controller

They are both inexpensive control boards (about $35 to $40 ea) that help keep your RC plane in level flight.

Probably a Chinese knockoff of the Eagle Tree but I wanted some feedback from anyone that heard about them. Thanks
Can't tell you much other that is only $18 at HobbyKing
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:29 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Quote:
What kit did you purchase as i would love to try.
I'm thinking 5.8 would be good for me as distance isn't real important at this point.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=781

This Kit here, minus camera and got the GoPro cable instead as I have two GoPros and they are awesome for this application.

Also I have a FY30A which I use in stabilisation mode once at desired altitude.

Using the Clover and Sku Plannar antennas that came in this kit.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
Can't tell you much other that is only $18 at HobbyKing
Yep. It is the same piece of hardware.

Even with the shipping costs it would be cheaper at HK than eBay with free shipping.

I still don't know if it is even worth getting.

Thanks for the info.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly711 View Post
The TowerPro MG90's and Hextronik MG -14's are the same size as the HXT 900's. They come with their own servo horns and should be a straight swap.

Donnie
That is great news. Thanks a bunch! /Wiciman
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:42 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,084 Posts
subscribed
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer