163 Posts
Thanks everyone!
Bhuwan is offline Find More Posts by Bhuwan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
For those of you that asked how I reinforce my wings, here are a couple of pics. The additional rods are 2mm thick. The front one goes all the a=way across alost to the bend in the wing. The back rod goes all the way also and runs between the aileron and servo. Gorilla glue is then allowed to flow into each hole and then the rods are inserted and worked back and forth to allow even coverage. In these pics they are hanging out for illustration only. The finished product will be cut flush with the wing. The next step, which is optional, is to cover the wings in 3mil clear laminate.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, WA, Auburn
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I use Velcro and a snap swivel tied to the battery cable inside the plane.

I also have a rubber band as a third connection point.

Vince
My set up is very similar. I use Dual Lock type velcro on the nose of the plane to secure the keychain camera. Only problem is that I get a the "jello effect" whenever the motor is running.
Javatango is offline Find More Posts by Javatango
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:44 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatango View Post
My set up is very similar. I use Dual Lock type velcro on the nose of the plane to secure the keychain camera. Only problem is that I get a the "jello effect" whenever the motor is running.
Balance your prop
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Balance your prop
Already balanced. I think I may need a secondary securing method. Maybe wrapping velcro around the fuselage and camera.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:55 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Already balanced. I think I may need a secondary securing method. Maybe wrapping velcro around the fuselage and camera.
Balance it better, or maybe even balance your spinner, or check motor shaft isn't bent.
I know the velcro leaves some give, isn't a rigid mount. but, to get wobbly video, there has to be vibes coming from somewhere.
Think about it, if there are no vibes, whats making the camera 'float' about on the 'non rigid mount', causing jello?
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:17 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
Quote:
I have had very good success with stuffing the keycam inside a tic tac box, velcro to nose and then wrap #64 rubber band around fuse.
Eagle-Eye is offline Find More Posts by Eagle-Eye
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Better yet, use better cameras!!!!
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:57 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
Xtreme Keycam flight test

Not bad from a keycam video. But this flight is the hard way

Eagle-Eye is offline Find More Posts by Eagle-Eye
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Better yet, use better cameras!!!!
Don't get me wrong. I would love to have a GoPro or another high end camera but they are very expensive.

The # 16 808 works great with a class 10 memory disc. It gives really good solid video and is cheap at $38 for the camera and $10 for the memory disc.

The other type is the HK wing camera which is comparable in price to the 808. At those prices you can buy 5 or more for the cost of one GoPro 2.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
You can try a rubber band but I would say you have some type of vibration. It might be an unbalance prop.

I get no jello effect and it is mostly held on by the Velcro. The yellow plastic wire and snap swivel are there in case the cam gets pulled off. It will come down with the plane instead of where it came loose.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Balance it better, or maybe even balance your spinner, or check motor shaft isn't bent.
I know the velcro leaves some give, isn't a rigid mount. but, to get wobbly video, there has to be vibes coming from somewhere.
Think about it, if there are no vibes, whats making the camera 'float' about on the 'non rigid mount', causing jello?
Sound like I have some work to do. Thanks for the tips everyone.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
For thos eof you that saw my plane crash into the river a few weeks ago, I managed to get it rebuilt with a new set of wings and all new servos today. Took it out about an hour ago for a test flight and she flies better than ever. This plane is so stable and tight. Just love flying this one. Heading out in the morning to try and get some hot air ballon pics from this plane.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
For thos eof you that saw my plane crash into the river a few weeks ago, I managed to get it rebuilt with a new set of wings and all new servos today. Took it out about an hour ago for a test flight and she flies better than ever. This plane is so stable and tight. Just love flying this one. Heading out in the morning to try and get some hot air ballon pics from this plane.
Have fun. Stay away from the Hudson!!!
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:15 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Swapping faulty Skysurfer servo - help!!!

Proud owner of spanking new SS v1. Have made most of the upgrades suggested in this post.

Now to the sorry bits:
My fuselage elevator servo died on maiden flight after approx. 5 mins of joy. Have ordered replacement.

I supect I have to pry the stock servo out somehow. Are they super glued in?

Can anyone please help with a step-by-step tutorial on how to swap the damaged one for my new one. Pictures would help (I am a ). All the best// Wiciman
Wiciman is offline Find More Posts by Wiciman