HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:07 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,798 Posts
Youre kidding me right??? I would be a bit worried about the spar breaking loose.!!
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
Youre kidding me right??? I would be a bit worried about the spar breaking loose.!!
Well the spar can break. The best way to keep that from happening is to reinforce it with a second carbon rod glued inside the first.

I have had my number of crashes and the spar doesn't come out of the wing due to the cover falling off. At least not on my Skysurfer V2.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:44 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Bixler Altitude Record - 06/24/2012 (6 min 54 sec)

Broke my altitude record today, made it to 1167 meters (3828 feet), my previous record was 823 meters.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:54 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Holy smoke. What OSD, VTx / Rx are you using?

Was looking forward to the descent. I assume you got it back!
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Holy smoke. What OSD, VTx / Rx are you using?

Was looking forward to the descent. I assume you got it back!
Hornet OSD + fy31ap, 700mw 1.2Ghz and the new RMRC rx with upgraded saw. Using bluebeam set. My distance record is 4.7km. Dvr screwed up so no descent.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:19 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,798 Posts
Dont you hate it when the DVR plays up!! My fpv japan hung on a few flights then stopped working altogether so ive missed so many good flights.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:56 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Just parted with some hard earned cash to get first FPV kit from Readymade RC:

Custom Goggles FPV Starter Package: 5.8GHz
Antennas - Bluebeam Whip Set
Camera - GoPro HD Cable Only (no camera) - I have a Hero and Hero2 already.
Video Transmitter - ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz
Video Goggles - FatShark Dominators
OSD - None (have taken all the advice to start without OSD and add later).

I already have a FY30A installed on my Bixler. That works a treat for stabilisation.

Plan to fly buddy box with a spotter too of course. It was a mine field working out what to get. I hope I have chosen well.

Thanks for all the useful information in this thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
i parted with some hard earned cash too, as the plane spiralled from 400ft directly onto railroad tracks, smashing the plane into little pieces along with the antenna, battery, board camera, and worst of all the gopro. the camera debris was strewn about, pieces of the case here and there, we found the gopro 2 hours later, 30 feet away. the battery and rear case cover weren't found. i'm not sure why i crashed yet, as i had flown further and lower, a few hours earlier that day. at least my new receiver antenna works, i was receiving very clear video up until impact.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:51 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Awesome. That was an encouraging post after mine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
Dont you hate it when the DVR plays up!! My fpv japan hung on a few flights then stopped working altogether so ive missed so many good flights.
Yeah, I spent $60 on a new HD Aiptek hoping it would record static as most aipteks do, but it does not . But it's a descent HD cam, so I will still keep it and use it . I have been flying my Genius CP heli in front of the cam at different settings to see how it performs, and I really like it's quality at 720p@60fps, does 1080p too but the 60fps is nice, keeps the motion much smoother, as a DVR it's crap though, it handles random multipath ok, but once that sync signal gets a bit out of whack it either stops recording or worse corrupts with a weird fractured frame look, you can see it in my video posted above when I hit my altitude record, it does have good record quality though, maybe I can find a way to make a ntsc signal generator to keep it recording.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:01 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2012
319 Posts
hey guys, though maybe of of might be interested in this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674657

sorry for bombing, but maybe it can go to better use with one of you guys. cheers.
manvsuav is offline Find More Posts by manvsuav
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Awesome. That was an encouraging post after mine.
I was getting pretty tired of the poor slow flight stability of the bixler anyway time to start the cycle over
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
New Build

Thought you guys might be interested in my latest build. After crashing my previous plane into the river, I ripped the wings off of it in a subsequent crash. So, while waiting for some new wings to come in, I decided to build a new plane since it needs to carry an expensive camera. I decided to relocate the tail servos to the rear of the plane for better weight distribution and to allow more room up front. This plane is strictly for LOS flying only for 1 mile or less. The nice thing about this camera is it is much lighter than a Gopro and does not have that fisheye look to it. Having it mounted high also eliminates the nose from the videos.

I also covered the wings and tail in vulcan 3mil thick clear film. This adds to the ridgidness of the wings tremendously. Barely any flex. Also installed 2 other progressively smaller carbon rods inside the main spar with Gorilla glue for added strength. The wings are glued in place as will as carbon rods through the top of the plane thru the wings to the bottom of the plane where the screws would normally go.

The plane details are:

- Microdan 2800kv motor
- 6x4 prop
- 36A Thunderbird ESC
- 2200mah battery
- 4x HXT900 servos
- Replay XD1080 camera
- Dragonlink TX and RX
- Wings and tail covered in 3mil vulcan clear film
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:32 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
922 Posts
First test flights of my Sky Surfer. I had the impression that the tail was wobbling in the air along the yaw axis. Thought it might be some wind gusts. After landing I checked the horizontal stab and it moves in the yaw axis when wiggled. The stab is attached with CA at the moment, as is the vertical stab. I have the CF rod on the bottom of the fuselage and another CF rod implanted in the horizonatal stabilizer so I would have thought it would be solid. I am contemplating adding a CF strip along the tail but am not sure it will help. Maybe it's not much of an issue but I'm about to add some additional FPV gear (weight). Has anyone else observed this wobble of the horizonal stabilizer? Thanks.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:57 PM
Will try to fly anything.
United States, TX, Athens
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Nice looking SS MaddMax,

Like the new tail servo locations. Might have to give that a try.

I'm flying the Bixler and have recently mounted a Tachyon OPS camera onto the plywood camera mount made for the Bixler to see how it would work.

Took it up to the soccer field a couple days ago. Works pretty well for LOS flying and doesn't weigh enough to upset the COG from normal flight.

Here's the video it took. Not too bad.

bixler-tachyon ops at school.MOV (12 min 23 sec)

Flying with 3S 2200mah batts. Plenty of power and can go up to 15 minutes flying easily.

Donnie
DragonFly711 is offline Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Last edited by DragonFly711; Jun 26, 2012 at 09:17 PM.