HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
This is a stand alone camera I just picked up. It's a Replay XD1080. It's smaller and lighter than a Gopro and I like the finished videos better. They have a more flatter appearance than the curver fisheye look of the Gopro videos. I have all the equipment for FPV transmission but I like this camera for LOS flying. I don't always need to fly long distances.
It's pricy at $299 but heck if it is also water proof cool.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Yes, but at $299 you get a bunch of stuff in the kit you'd have to pay extra for with Gopro. Gopros aren't cheap ether. Plus, just the size and weight savings alone was worth it. Now I don't have to worry about that big ugly plastic box faling out of my plane. It is also waterproof, although you ca't tell from my water adventure. When I crashed in the river, I had forgotten to screw on the back cover which would have kept the water out altogether.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:32 AM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
So after about 20 flights I finally crashed my Sky Surfer. I was starting to feel invincible. Completely an equipment failure related crash though. The screw that held my pan/tilt camera mount to the pan servo stripped and pulled out and I didn't have the altitude or the time to recover. See the video. I ended up finding her about 10 minutes later sitting under a tree with minimal damage. The tree "broke it's fall". You can barely tell she was in a crash now after some quick repairs. It's funny that it crashed on this day of all days as this was the retirement flight of the Sky Surfer... my 1900mm Skywalker airframe came in the mail the day before and I'm switching all the components over this weekend.

Plane crash in Altamonte 06/17/2012 (2 min 27 sec)
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
So after about 20 flights I finally crashed my Sky Surfer. I was starting to feel invincible. Completely an equipment failure related crash though. The screw that held my pan/tilt camera mount to the pan servo stripped and pulled out and I didn't have the altitude or the time to recover. See the video. I ended up finding her about 10 minutes later sitting under a tree with minimal damage. The tree "broke it's fall". You can barely tell she was in a crash now after some quick repairs. It's funny that it crashed on this day of all days as this was the retirement flight of the Sky Surfer... my 1900mm Skywalker airframe came in the mail the day before and I'm switching all the components over this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itDDN1umYvU&hd=1
Ya got lucky it wasn't damaged much and hit a tree instead of someone.

I know the SS does not possess any intelligence but maybe somehow it knew about it being retired and replaced with the Skywalker.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Ya got lucky it wasn't damaged much and hit a tree instead of someone.

I know the SS does not possess any intelligence but maybe somehow it knew about it being retired and replaced with the Skywalker.
This was very early on a Sunday morning (the only reason I even attempted this type of flight). Even in busy Altamonte Springs there weren't many people out and about (notice the empty mall parking lot). The odds of me hitting someone were slim. Now maybe a car (plane fell about 10 feet from the parking lot. I of course would have done the responsible thing if it had.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Aguascalientes Mexico
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
Bixler best suited motor for FPV

Just one question.

I am using a 2835-2200 Kv motor with 6x4 and the actual consume is very high.

What motor do you recomend for this plane and propeller to have longer flights. Low consume.
If the motor is from HK will be better.

The current equipment on the plane is (little pig plane)

Eagle tree OSD
Copilot FMA for stabilization
800mw Vtx
2200 3s mah Motor bat
460 3s mah video bat
Pz420 security cams
Cloverleaf antenna.
PCM receiver.
25 AMP esc.

Thanks for your support.
Mauricio
msanche is offline Find More Posts by msanche
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msanche View Post
What motor do you recomend for this plane and propeller to have longer flights. Low consume.
If the motor is from HK will be better.
Try here to start with. I found this helpful when searching myself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...y+surfer+motor
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
This was very early on a Sunday morning (the only reason I even attempted this type of flight). Even in busy Altamonte Springs there weren't many people out and about (notice the empty mall parking lot). The odds of me hitting someone were slim. Now maybe a car (plane fell about 10 feet from the parking lot. I of course would have done the responsible thing if it had.
I believe you took proper steps to keep others safe. I was not trying to find you at fault.

Have you ever flown behind the water tower and did you see any signal loss at the time?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:11 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Have you ever flown behind the water tower and did you see any signal loss at the time?
The answer there is no, I never went below about 150' (water tower is about 100' tall). However... on the parking garage I was based at, there was a concrete "stairwell structure" that stuck above the main lot and it got in the way seconds before the crash. I knew that this stairwell was going to be an issue if I flew too far west of the water tower and tried to avoid that for the most part. But when out of control it's hard. I wouldn't contribute that blockage in any way to my crash. It was 100% due to the temporary disorientation of losing your camera mount, and the hard right bank I was in at time it happened. The whole thing, from camera mount breaking to hitting the ground only took 3-4 seconds. As I review it over and over again I realize there was nothing I could have done to save it. Not at that altitude in those circumstances.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
937 Posts
Quote:
As I review it over and over again I realize there was nothing I could have done to save it. Not at that altitude in those circumstances.
Hindsight, but maybe if you had an OSD with a programmed RTH feature tied to a switch and stabilization you could have quickly hit that switch at the first sign of trouble. Maybe you were still too low and the pod was creating an out-of-balance situation, but a RTH feature might have stabilized it and returned it back to you. That would have been a great story and video. Glad the damage is minimal.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
The answer there is no, I never went below about 150' (water tower is about 100' tall). However... on the parking garage I was based at, there was a concrete "stairwell structure" that stuck above the main lot and it got in the way seconds before the crash. I knew that this stairwell was going to be an issue if I flew too far west of the water tower and tried to avoid that for the most part. But when out of control it's hard. I wouldn't contribute that blockage in any way to my crash. It was 100% due to the temporary disorientation of losing your camera mount, and the hard right bank I was in at time it happened. The whole thing, from camera mount breaking to hitting the ground only took 3-4 seconds. As I review it over and over again I realize there was nothing I could have done to save it. Not at that altitude in those circumstances.
I understand that this crash was due to the camera mount hardware. What I was wondering about is if a water tower caused any additional interference with the control.

I have experienced events where "liquid" created a blockage to a 2.4mhz signal in a warehouse. I was wondering if the same held for water towers.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:12 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
Hindsight, but maybe if you had an OSD with a programmed RTH feature tied to a switch and stabilization you could have quickly hit that switch at the first sign of trouble. Maybe you were still too low and the pod was creating an out-of-balance situation, but a RTH feature might have stabilized it and returned it back to you. That would have been a great story and video. Glad the damage is minimal.
I do have NOVA OSD on board with RTH. That was the first switch I hit literally 1/2 a second after the mount let go. But yeah, I was too low and in too high a bank for RTH to do anything. It's funny, I flipped the switch, lost video feed, and waited... waited... then nothing... heart sink.

I saw only crystal clear video all around the water tower up until the seconds before the crash (where I either dipped to low on the horizon or I believe I went behind the concrete stairwell on the parking garage I was on). So I guess the tower was empty, or it didn't affect things. I'm on 1280mhz though.

(I didn't read your post properly, my 2.4 ghz radio is boosted with 500mw but I never lost any control around the water tower. Doesn't seem to have affected control or video)
Last edited by turbodriven; Jun 23, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, MA, Nantucket
Joined Dec 2011
84 Posts
1st flight.

After fixing the control arms using piano wire I was ready to try and fly again. It was a windy day but I she flew really good.
I'm so happy to have learned to fly on the sim first. It really made a huge difference as I set the sim up to have strong gusts and I flew in the same kind of conditions yesterday.
I got through 2 x 2200 battery before it was time to bring her down. I did notice the motor and the esc were very hot. Is this normal? I'm thinking I need a lipo alarm as I have no way to judge when she is running low.

I hope to go out today after the football match and take my gopro. I want you guys to let me know if you see anything that I should change with her.

bye for now.
lanty is offline Find More Posts by lanty
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:50 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,843 Posts
This is the thread ive been looking for. Started working on the bixler kit.

I cant decide whether to permanently glue the wings in or do the removable option with velcro. Anyway what glue would you recommend for the wing spar covers?

Everything else should be straight-forward. Ive re positioned the elevator servo and cut & hinged an access hatch into the side of the fuse for osd.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
This is the thread ive been looking for. Started working on the bixler kit.

I cant decide whether to permanently glue the wings in or do the removable option with velcro. Anyway what glue would you recommend for the wing spar covers?

Everything else should be straight-forward. Ive re positioned the elevator servo and cut & hinged an access hatch into the side of the fuse for osd.
I wouldn't recommend gluing the spar covers. The wiring for the ailerons run under them. It would be a pain to have to cut the covers to get to the wires.

I used some double side tape on the inside of the covers as well as clear packing tape on the outside. The covers wont' come off and the spar slides in and out when I install or remove the wings. I just added a piece of the blue painters tape around the spar which make is less slippery but still allows for removal.