HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, MA, Nantucket
Joined Dec 2011
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Sounds like the ESC is not seeing 0 throttle and is not initializing. Couple of things to check:
1. Is your Throttle channel reversed?
2. Do you have the trim moved up on the Throttle channel?
Throttle is not reversed and there is no trim on the Throttle.
The plot thickens.
lanty is offline Find More Posts by lanty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanty View Post
I'm new to the world of R.C. and I have a question about setting up my DX7. I'm currently using the Dx7 set on helicopter for my quadcopter. How do you go about setting it up to use for both quad and skysurfer?

I'm not too sure if the settings I have it on now are causing the esc to beep continuously.

thanks.
You need to create 2 separate models in the radio. One airplane and one helicopter. For a quadcopter, you can actually use airplane mode on the Dx7. Helicopter mode adds a few things you don't need for flying a quad, but it will still work. One nice thing it does add is Throttle Hold. This facilitates an instant stop on the motor regardless of the position of the left stick. Helpful on Collective Pitch helicopters when you are about to crash.

So, crack open your manual and read up on how to create new models of each type. Let us know how you do. I had a Dx7 for a while. Great radio.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Throttle is not reversed and there is no trim on the Throttle.
The plot thickens.
What Rx are you using? Where did you get your SS? Do you have a picture of your setup?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:11 AM
Will try to fly anything.
United States, TX, Athens
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
I'm new to the world of R.C. and I have a question about setting up my DX7. I'm currently using the Dx7 set on helicopter for my quadcopter. How do you go about setting it up to use for both quad and skysurfer?

I'm not too sure if the settings I have it on now are causing the esc to beep continuously.

thanks.
You need to set up a completely new model separate from the quadcopter with a new receiver bound to the trans for the new plane. I have a DX6I but it shouldn't be much different from the DX7 when setting up new models.

The transmitter is beeping because it's not recognizing your new plane until you create the new model and bind the new receiver to the DX7.

You won't be able to use the same receiver for both the quad and the plane if that's what you are talking about. It would never work. The settings are too different from plane to heli and just swapping the receiver from one to the other isn't feasible. I don't think that's what you mean but thought I'd throw that out there.

Donnie
DragonFly711 is offline Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Dec 2011
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly711 View Post
You need to set up a completely new model separate from the quadcopter with a new receiver bound to the trans for the new plane. I have a DX6I but it shouldn't be much different from the DX7 when setting up new models.

The transmitter is beeping because it's not recognizing your new plane until you create the new model and bind the new receiver to the DX7.

Donnie
So when I set up a new model will it save my settings for my quad?
Last edited by lanty; Jun 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: terrible english from an english man.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
So when I set up a new model will it save my settings for my quad?
Yes, but like he said you can't share the rx with both models.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Dec 2011
84 Posts
fixed.

Fixed the problem. I just added a new model on the DX7 and she was ready to go.
All I have to do now is drill out my new prop so it will fit and she will be ready for her 1st flight.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Fixed the problem. I just added a new model on the DX7 and she was ready to go.
All I have to do now is drill out my new prop so it will fit and she will be ready for her 1st flight.

Thanks for all of the help.
Don't use a drill!!! It will most certainly cause an imbalance, get a prop reamer .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Don't use a drill!!! It will most certainly cause an imbalance, get a prop reamer .
I followed your advice and she is ready for take off.

The only problem now is my destination. I'm in Nantucket for the summer and its windy a lot of the time. Its been really windy most of the month i've been here.....my wife is not willing to change our summer vacation based on how windy the beach is.

Today its gusting around 14 mph.

What's the most wind you guys are comfortable flying in?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:46 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
I followed your advice and she is ready for take off.

The only problem now is my destination. I'm in Nantucket for the summer and its windy a lot of the time. Its been really windy most of the month i've been here.....my wife is not willing to change our summer vacation based on how windy the beach is.

Today its gusting around 14 mph.

What's the most wind you guys are comfortable flying in?
That really depends on one's skill level... I have flown with winds 15 to 20 on the ground, and I am sure a bit higher up in some altitude... But I also use an autopilot with stabilisation at the same time... LANDING in those sorts of winds is where it becomes a real challenge .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I have flown in winds of 25-30mph. Gets challenging but it's a lot of fun. Puts your skill level to the test. Landing is fairly easy if you do it against the wind. You can get it to basically stand still before touching down.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
I find there is a direct relationship between how windy it is and how much glue I will need LOL.
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
I have flown in winds of 25-30mph. Gets challenging but it's a lot of fun. Puts your skill level to the test. Landing is fairly easy if you do it against the wind. You can get it to basically stand still before touching down.
Max

I agree it is easier to land against the wind. Although when you want to get down fast I sometimes forget that and end up coming in too fast then begin spinning and tumbling on impact.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:44 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Max

I agree it is easier to land against the wind. Although when you want to get down fast I sometimes forget that and end up coming in too fast then begin spinning and tumbling on impact.
You do that every Sat night after one of your drinking binges too.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
You do that every Sat night after one of your drinking binges too.
If it ain't on film it never happened. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202