HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Could use some help with my almost new SS... Had a fairly hard crash that knocked everything loose inside... Esc, recvr, etc... And caused minor structural damage. Also was having trouble getting the prop tightened properly. Fixed the fuse and tightened the prop until I was certain i was stripping the shaft. But now, when I hooked up the batt, I get the three musial tones, and then instead of 3 reg. beeps for the 3 cell batt, I get 2 beeps, a pause and then a long beep. And when I go full throttle, I get a low amount of power which fades and then quits. I charged the batt for two hours and the batt was still cold to the touch, and the green light never went off. I plugged it back in to the plane with the same results. So..... Have I damaged something, or is the battery not charging for some reason? Any ideas?
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:21 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
Ah..... nothing some hot water and glue wont fix.

Enter that clip in the aussie FPV thread Landing comp.

Looking forward to seeing what the Bixler2 brings to the table. Sounds like its a while off though.

How does your D8R-II go for range? are you using a patch or amp? and what OSD are you using and can you get RSSI on the OSD?
Hey mate, I'm using the frsky gear unboosted, with 5dbi omni on tx. I have been getting 1500m out, with 800m altitude until I glitch, with tx antenna held in non-optimal polarization as a backup. You can get rssi, but needs modding to achieve this.

Using Cyclops nova osd with rth, works very well on the bixler, especially considering price. And the PA / wing leveler works great for high winds or cruising about and looking around with pan/tilt.
RTH gets the job done, if gps signal is poor it does sometimes keep overshooting turns, but gets the plane back in range just fine
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
You may have damaged the battery when you crashed. Is it puffy looking or have any dents in it??
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:12 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
You may have damaged the battery when you crashed. Is it puffy looking or have any dents in it??
me? nah, battery is perfectly fine
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:13 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeamondo View Post
Could use some help with my almost new SS... Had a fairly hard crash that knocked everything loose inside... Esc, recvr, etc... And caused minor structural damage. Also was having trouble getting the prop tightened properly. Fixed the fuse and tightened the prop until I was certain i was stripping the shaft. But now, when I hooked up the batt, I get the three musial tones, and then instead of 3 reg. beeps for the 3 cell batt, I get 2 beeps, a pause and then a long beep. And when I go full throttle, I get a low amount of power which fades and then quits. I charged the batt for two hours and the batt was still cold to the touch, and the green light never went off. I plugged it back in to the plane with the same results. So..... Have I damaged something, or is the battery not charging for some reason? Any ideas?
Check the battery with a voltage tester to see if it is charging. You can get an adequate tester from HK for $2, or your LHS for $6
And by the way, if your charger does not have a built in voltage display, it's time for a new charger. Lipo batteries are dangerous.

Next, look up the manual for whoever makes the ESC you are using. It should have all the tone-codes explained. It could be anything, but a loose wire somewhere sounds likely. Good luck.

Apologies if this advice seems obvious, but your mention of "green light" when charging made me nervous. I'm hard-line on Lipo safety. 2 months ago I ran into someone who burned his condo down and barely made it out alive. Insurance covered the building but not his possessions. (He left a battery charging in the garage while he was upstairs on the 3rd floor. Or something. )
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:24 AM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Ok... I think i will get a better charger.... Im using the one that came with the rtf plane, but it does not have a voltage display. Also, plan on getting a new battery or two while Im at it.... What do you suggest for an upgrade on the skysurfer? And what is the best charger to use? Are there any that charge multiple batts at the same time?

As far as the esc goes.... Cant find a name on it and the instruction manual for the plane is useless.... I will check readymade rc's site to see if there is info on the listing..... The esc is just wrapped in blue shrink..... Should i unwrap it to find the manufacturer? As you can tell, i am truly new to all this....
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
But now, when I hooked up the batt, I get the three musial tones, and then instead of 3 reg. beeps for the 3 cell batt, I get 2 beeps, a pause and then a long beep. And when I go full throttle, I get a low amount of power which fades and then quits. I charged the batt for two hours and the batt was still cold to the touch, and the green light never went off. I plugged it back in to the plane with the same results. So..... Have I damaged something, or is the battery not charging for some reason? Any ideas?
If I had to guess, I would say the batteries wiring (under the wrapping on the wire end) got damaged. One of the cells is not connected which would explain the low power and charging difficulties. You could carefully open the outer wrapping if you feel comfortable doing that. Inspect the connections and even post a photo here if you are unsure. Maybe you can repair the connection or reuse the cells in another project.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,289 Posts
Quote:
And what is the best charger to use? Are there any that charge multiple batts at the same time?
I use a Turnigy Mega 200w x 2 from HK. It will charge 2 at once. You can also parallel charge. It's safe, believe it or not and there are threads about this. I have a TP 610 that I like a lot too, but it charges just one at a time. There are chargers that charge 4 at once but they are limited to 50W per battery charge rate... at least the ones I know about.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I use a Turnigy Mega 200w x 2 from HK. It will charge 2 at once. You can also parallel charge. It's safe, believe it or not and there are threads about this. I have a TP 610 that I like a lot too, but it charges just one at a time. There are chargers that charge 4 at once but they are limited to 50W per battery charge rate... at least the ones I know about.
i use cheap 6a rated charger xcharger rebranded turnigy i think i do parallel charge everytime for all 6 of my 2200mah pack
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
i use cheap 6a rated charger xcharger rebranded turnigy i think i do parallel charge everytime for all 6 of my 2200mah pack
I have one of those exact batteries, I fly usually with the Zippy 2700mah :P I am curious but what is your charge time with 6 of those at once? Technically you can only charge them at roughly .5c each, which would be 2 hours.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:40 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I have one of those exact batteries, I fly usually with the Zippy 2700mah :P I am curious but what is your charge time with 6 of those at once? Technically you can only charge them at roughly .5c each, which would be 2 hours.
i set my charger to max 6a yes usually around 2hrs for all still ok consider ok as 2hrs for 6packs
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:09 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Great day for flying

Lagrange Afternoon Flying (4 min 58 sec)
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:28 AM
United States, MA, Nantucket
Joined Dec 2011
84 Posts
So I finally got my sky surfer ready to fly. I plugged in my receiver to bind it and the esc will not stop beeping.

Any thoughts?
lanty is offline Find More Posts by lanty
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, MA, Nantucket
Joined Dec 2011
84 Posts
Dx7

I'm new to the world of R.C. and I have a question about setting up my DX7. I'm currently using the Dx7 set on helicopter for my quadcopter. How do you go about setting it up to use for both quad and skysurfer?

I'm not too sure if the settings I have it on now are causing the esc to beep continuously.

thanks.
lanty is offline Find More Posts by lanty
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanty View Post
So I finally got my sky surfer ready to fly. I plugged in my receiver to bind it and the esc will not stop beeping.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like the ESC is not seeing 0 throttle and is not initializing. Couple of things to check:
1. Is your Throttle channel reversed?
2. Do you have the trim moved up on the Throttle channel?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus