HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Feb 2006
68 Posts
Mix some up elevator with the throttle on a switch. Full throttle= full up elevator.

Hand launch plane. It will dip, then climb and you'll have time to get back to the sticks.

Make it a linear mix, so as you throttle back the elevators return to level.

Use the switch to return to normal flight control.
R2276B is offline Find More Posts by R2276B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2276B View Post
Mix some up elevator with the throttle on a switch. Full throttle= full up elevator.

Hand launch plane. It will dip, then climb and you'll have time to get back to the sticks.

I agree using a programmable transmitter to improve the launch capabilities of these type of planes will help but mine originally came with a very simple 4 channel transmitter without any mixing abilities.

Unless the plane has been modified to something totally different from it's original format you shouldn't need a sophisticated transmitter to fly it. Just make sure the CG is correct, then throttle up to 70%, toss it straight and then pull back on the elevator. She will fly.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I agree using a programmable transmitter to improve the launch capabilities of these type of planes will help but mine originally came with a very simple 4 channel transmitter without any mixing abilities.

Unless the plane has been modified to something totally different from it's original format you shouldn't need a sophisticated transmitter to fly it. Just make sure the CG is correct, then throttle up to 70%, toss it straight and then pull back on the elevator. She will fly.
Yup. Of course I haven't loaded mine down with anything... yet...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2276B View Post

Starting at hand-launch speed with full up-elevator is a recipe for a stall.
Remember that at the start the goal is more speed, not more altitude. It takes several seconds for the motor to accelerate the plane, even at full throttle. During those seconds, high angle of attack guarantees a stall.
You could always add LG, and accelerate down the runway. Then you can zoom up in the usual RC non-scale way.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:34 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Here's my two crashes for the weekend:
First one wasn't very bad damage at all.
Bixler is totalled from mid-air breakup (0 min 49 sec)
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
http://youtu.be/zRtGO8pC0kQ
Looks like the first crash caused some weakness in the airframe which failed causing the second crash.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:20 AM
Sweden, Piteå
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
Hello,

I recently bought a Bixler plane, and would like to add flaps to the plane. Which servos would be recommended to use?
Hayvosh is offline Find More Posts by Hayvosh
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
Will try to fly anything.
United States, TX, Athens
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayvosh View Post
Hello,

I recently bought a Bixler plane, and would like to add flaps to the plane. Which servos would be recommended to use?
Doesn't really need flaps. It can almost stop mid air without tip stalling. But if you want to add flaps I'm sure someone on here can give you some tips.

Donnie
DragonFly711 is offline Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
wic
Finland, Uusimaa, Porvoo
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayvosh View Post
Which servos would be recommended to use?
I use the HXT900 for my flaps. They have the same size how the Ailerons.

Best regards from finland

Andy
wic is offline Find More Posts by wic
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Feb 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
Remember that at the start the goal is more speed, not more altitude. It takes several seconds for the motor to accelerate the plane, even at full throttle. During those seconds, high angle of attack guarantees a stall.
You could always add LG, and accelerate down the runway. Then you can zoom up in the usual RC non-scale way.
Normally I'd agree. Works flawlwessly on mine. I don't use full up btw, and it's variable with throttle position.
YMMV
R2276B is offline Find More Posts by R2276B
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
Good advice. I actually was able to take off from a dirt field without landing gear one time. My SS is covered in colored packing tape and slides nice. I put it on top of a weed and hit full throttle and it slide right down the runway and into the air.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
If you use a big enough motor, you can use full up and this thing will go straight up with no problems.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:42 AM
I can fly this plane
Kingdom of Sweden, Gävleborg County, Sandviken
Joined Jan 2012
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
If you use a big enough motor, you can use full up and this thing will go straight up with no problems.
Or if the plane is light enough the stock motor with TGS 6x4 will also manage full up elevator on hand launch without stall.
Not that it is needed normally to get airborne but I have actually tried it a couple of times when the "runway" was very short.
PinDuke is offline Find More Posts by PinDuke
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Or we could just overpower it with a 1.5-2.0 Thrust to Weight ratio and just point it up like a 3D foamy!
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Ah..... nothing some hot water and glue wont fix.

Enter that clip in the aussie FPV thread Landing comp.

Looking forward to seeing what the Bixler2 brings to the table. Sounds like its a while off though.

How does your D8R-II go for range? are you using a patch or amp? and what OSD are you using and can you get RSSI on the OSD?
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas