HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
So in the end, I don't have to glue them, but I do have to rig up SOME kind of wing attachment system.... lest they prematurely depart the aircraft. I will have a look at the mod thread later today for some ideas.... I'm assuming there is info there on the various methods mentioned. I'm less concerned about transporting the plane than I am about storing it. I can always hang it from the ceiling, I suppose. That's what I did when I was 12!
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:17 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
Holy Crap! I was wondering about this. I was thinking of prying one of the spar covers off and check under the hood. "You can actually see the spar, if you take the cove off".
I have my Bix near completion but recently decided I was going to cover the wings in NS, just past the servo's. 3 or 5 mill. Plus I am gluing my wing into place for this ship. I think I will look into the spar covers more
Nice looking plane. What color do you have on the bottom?

One thing you may want to consider. Once the wing spar covers are glued in it will be more difficult to get access to the servo wiring. Also if the spar should break (something very common with the stock one) getting it out after being glued would require surgery to cut the wing foam.

I currently use packing tape on the spar covers. That provides enough security to keep them from falling out.

I also used some painters blue tape wrapped around the spar which reduces any sliding along with a second 4mm spar glued inside the stock 6mm spar.

My wings are held in place with magnets and dual lock (Velcro). All of this makes for a pretty sturdy wing attachment with the option of taking them off for repairs or storage.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeamondo View Post
So in the end, I don't have to glue them, but I do have to rig up SOME kind of wing attachment system.... lest they prematurely depart the aircraft. I will have a look at the mod thread later today for some ideas.... I'm assuming there is info there on the various methods mentioned. I'm less concerned about transporting the plane than I am about storing it. I can always hang it from the ceiling, I suppose. That's what I did when I was 12!
After combing through the many threads, the three big ones that stand out as I recall:
1. velcro either a recess just under the wing, so it slides in and velco is on a solid piece of basswood, etc... or I suppose trying to get them to stick together on the insides
2. Magnets. using NeoD - - i tried this method, but I didn't find "what rating/mag strength... get them small (0.25"), but as high of a strength, then making sure the poles align, glue them to the inside of wings. The stack I bought seemed great - when 12 magnets were together. once they seperated, it wasn't nearly as good... may need to just glue 2 or 3 magnets together first...
3. Wing hooks and rubber bands. secure hooks, glue, tape, etc... bands run through the canopy to pull wings in.

I went further to add extra spars inside the main wing... kindof went to far with it and drilled through the wing itself... beginners luck.
Gotwings is offline Find More Posts by Gotwings
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwings View Post
After combing through the many threads, the three big ones that stand out as I recall:
1. velcro either a recess just under the wing, so it slides in and velco is on a solid piece of basswood, etc... or I suppose trying to get them to stick together on the insides
2. Magnets. using NeoD - - i tried this method, but I didn't find "what rating/mag strength... get them small (0.25"), but as high of a strength, then making sure the poles align, glue them to the inside of wings. The stack I bought seemed great - when 12 magnets were together. once they seperated, it wasn't nearly as good... may need to just glue 2 or 3 magnets together first...
3. Wing hooks and rubber bands. secure hooks, glue, tape, etc... bands run through the canopy to pull wings in.

I went further to add extra spars inside the main wing... kindof went to far with it and drilled through the wing itself... beginners luck.
I use 4 pairs of rare earth magnets equally spaced and glued into the wing tabs. They are about 1/4" dia and 1/8" thick. They are strong enough to literally pull the wings together when they get close to each other. You can use thinner ones but the diameter should be larger to get the same effect.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
Sounds to EZ

I was given a tip from someone who fly's real fast with these SkySurfer's, foamies . . . T pins. ? ? ?

I put four T pins thru body (two per side) into wings at an angle and . . .
it works for me too!
Eagle-Eye is offline Find More Posts by Eagle-Eye
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Two questions.... 1. What is a T pin?
And B. If i chosse to glue in the wings with CA, and later decide that I really need removable wings, can I unglue them or cut them out some way and build in one of the other methods then?
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
Mikeamondo - answer to:

#1. Here is a example of the T Pin holding on one wing. It really works for me. They are sticking out to show you the angle I use. I push them in all the way to the T bar. These T-Pins are by SIG Pro Hardware. I bought at local hobby shop.

#B. I personally do not glue any wings. I made a transport carrier special made for SkySurfers. Here is a link:

Eagle-Eye is offline Find More Posts by Eagle-Eye
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Two questions.... 1. What is a T pin?
And B. If i chosse to glue in the wings with CA, and later decide that I really need removable wings, can I unglue them or cut them out some way and build in one of the other methods then?
T pins are acupuncture for foamee planes. They feel no pain honest.

Anything that is glued can be unglued. If the glued surface is inside the plane it will make it much harder to unglue. Surgery may be your only option. Unless you use hot glue. Then you can melt it but it will still be a messy job.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Are the other end of those pins just a straight pin? And.... Are those plastic hooks glued to the bottom of the wing or a they peel and stick picture hanges? Our nearest hobby shop is an hour away, so I'll working with what is available at Walmart and Lowes..... :>). Just really eager to try out this plane when the wind calms and dont want to wait on a mail order part!
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! Are the other end of those pins just a straight pin? And.... Are those plastic hooks glued to the bottom of the wing or a they peel and stick picture hanges? Our nearest hobby shop is an hour away, so I'll working with what is available at Walmart and Lowes..... :>). Just really eager to try out this plane when the wind calms and dont want to wait on a mail order part!
The T pins are just that. Straight points at one with a T handle at the other. They are used in a lot of different craft hobbies including RC.

I'm not sure about the plastic hooks. I believe some come with an adhesive backing but additional glue may be used to increase it's sticking power.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Cool... Remembered that we do have a Michaels craft store.... Should be able to find several things that would work there. Hoping to try to fly her tomorrow, but we'll see....
Old Jun 02, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
The plastic hooks I had are from Lowes, near the picture frame section - probably universally the same place (at the end of the row of nuts and bolts). it's a 3M product, brand name "Command brand". It comes with a sticky tab, but to secure it better, I used a dab of either CA or GG.
Gotwings is offline Find More Posts by Gotwings
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
I bought the exact same brand at Michaels today. I was thinking about scrapping the adhesive tab and going straight iup CA. Mine are the removable kind that you can hang a picture with and then take down without leaving a hole... So i am a bit dubious about the glue they are using. Do you think the CA alone would do the job? I will be using the T pins as well....
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
I see now that the hooks in EagleEyes pic are the same type of removeable 3m hook..... So I guess its good either way...
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
If you want a really strong bond for the wings, use the white Gorilla glue.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax