HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:17 AM
Joined Mar 2010
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefpv View Post
So I guess as librarian of this thread I should put something in post #2 or post #3 about OSD systems for FPV. As a group I'd like you hear your experiences, pros/cons, and whether you'd recommend or now. I also need to know what OSD systems are out there.

The ones I'm aware of are:

Remzibi OSD

Easy OSD

Hobby King OSD

Simple OSD

Eagle Tree OSD

Range Video OSD

Black Stork OSD

That's quite a list! Ok are there any others? Please share your experiences if you have an OSD system...

Thanks!!
If you like DIY and tinkering, here's another interesting one that will give you any parameter you want.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473207
fpvproject is offline Find More Posts by fpvproject
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:06 AM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
hi all

this is my bixler

video from yesterday

Bixler at the beach - long version (3 min 8 sec)

some strange thing accrued to my OSD ... but i can't reproduce it .. so hopefully it will never come again
( or else i will have a good reason to get a RV osd )

my bixler is taped the same way as SharonX's ( we sometimes fly together )

hand on my chest ... it literally saved my bixler .. i re-opened it almost 10 time by now .. if it was glued .. i would have to connect stuff from the out-side of the fuselage and it is not the best thing to do i think ..

about how i tape it ..
i have all around tapes near the tail of the plane. several strips in the motor area and a long strip from the front section of the canopy hutch up front and down toward the tail.
something like in the attached pic.
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Last edited by guy1a; Nov 22, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:35 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
my bixler is taped the same way as SharonX's ( we sometimes fly together )

i have all around tapes near the tail of the plane. several strips in the motor area and a long strip from the front section of the canopy hutch up front and down toward the tail.
something like in the attached pic.
The pic is really helpful, thanks. How do you guys hold the tail and horizontal stabilizer on?
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:04 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post
The pic is really helpful, thanks. How do you guys hold the tail and horizontal stabilizer on?
the horizontal & vertical stabilizers are glued to one side of the fuselage.
i did it with foam safe CA. also can be done with hot glue gun.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:26 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
me and my ground station

Last edited by guy1a; Nov 23, 2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:36 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Joined Apr 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
me and my ground station
Looking at your pic made me realize how similar we all are. When I saw Israel as your location I immediately thought of Middle East conflict, Gaza Strip, blah, blah, blah. Then I noticed that I have the same LiPo charging bag.

My seat is pretty much the same. We both sit on our seats and hold similar transmitters while wearing similar goggles. We have the same plane, probably set up in a similar way, except mine's still not finished, lol.

Even though most of you are in other parts of the world, so far way, it puts my mind at peace when I see that we have the same dreams.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:05 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,026 Posts
Nice station! I'll show my Mobil station lol. I can walk around. Not for long range thought. Maybe 1/2 mile or so
RUBNorris is online now Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:23 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post
Looking at your pic made me realize how similar we all are. When I saw Israel as your location I immediately thought of Middle East conflict, Gaza Strip, blah, blah, blah. Then I noticed that I have the same LiPo charging bag.

My seat is pretty much the same. We both sit on our seats and hold similar transmitters while wearing similar goggles. We have the same plane, probably set up in a similar way, except mine's still not finished, lol.

Even though most of you are in other parts of the world, so far way, it puts my mind at peace when I see that we have the same dreams.
well .. i appreciate your thoughts
i know we are all the same .. i have friends who moved to live in australia .. i have a sister who moved to canada .. i have friends who moved from the US .. we all are really the same.

we all buy the same stuff from the same china man ..

and even though i am not a political man and i tend to keep my business in the narrow fields of my job, my family and my flying dreams .. even the conflicts are all the same ..

but let us stay in the FPV area .. it is much better in my opinion

b.t.w - australia is a beautiful place for from-up-in-the-air-view !
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:53 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Joined Apr 2011
724 Posts
I thought I'd update my build progress since I've had a day off today so I've got a bit done.

Electronics:
Soldered plugs on to ESC, tested prop direction and color coded heatshrink.
Made new wiring harness for video, old Clouds Fly harness too short.
Soldered heatsink on to OSD, made from stripping multicore wire and spreading the strands.
Soldered BEC and video power plug to JXT extension plug
Connected all servos to Rx and tested. Reversed Aileron and Elevator in Tx.

Body
Glued 3mm CF rod to tail section on both sides. (3mm CF rod already glued inside nose)
Cut hole in tail for video antenna
Stuck on velcro pads to hold OSD and ESC
Test fit the two fuselage halves together, temporarily taped with electrical tape
Placed tail fins on and tested COG, slightly forward but pretty good.

I realized that Rembisi's OSD uses the GPS connector as the programming connector. I can't access it while it's inside, but if I make an extension cable and plug the GPS in to the side of the fuselage somewhere then it will be easy to use that plug to reprogram the OSD if required. This will also let me put the GPS antenna further out on one wing. Not sure exactly how I'm going to run the wires yet.

I still need to make a battery holder and finally make up my mind about what method I'm going to use to hold all the foam parts together. Also the camera mount is still the balsa prototype, it seems to be strong enough but definitely wouldn't withstand a crash. I really should make a plywood one.

Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:07 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
@rogueqd -
i would say that the video tx should be ventilated. i put it on top of the fuselage around the same place you did .. the GPS antenna is inside in the middle between the video tx and the motor. no reception problems there .. ( my video runs on 900 mhz )
if you put it on a wing, then how would you be able to take them apart for transport ?
i also put the battery at the same place you did. just sits there on a velcro pad.

next time i open the fuselage, i will take some photos.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:32 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,437 Posts
shouldn't you put the spw on the rx and cl on the plane instead?
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:47 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Joined Apr 2011
724 Posts
@guy1a
I'm going to put in some air ducts to keep everything cool inside. The exhaust duct will be behind the video Tx.
Hmm, I read that the GPS antenna should be 30cm from any other component, although many people seem to ignore that and still get a good signal. Maybe I'll rethink it.

@noobee
It's a 3 lobe SPW on the Tx, like a CL but with straight edges. I have a 5 lobe one for the Rx, called a Windmill. CL would be a little better I think, but I'll leave that for next time.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Ok guys - got my FPV gear installed:

http://www.ilovefpv.com/2011/11/hobb...8g-fpv-system/
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Nov 24, 2011, 01:10 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefpv View Post
Ok guys - got my FPV gear installed:

http://www.ilovefpv.com/2011/11/hobb...8g-fpv-system/
I read in your setup link, that you think the gopro requires additional power for live view. That is not so. I use it as my recording and also my FPV flight camera out of "Live View" and it is just using its own internal battery. Never had a problem with it running out of battery. Just sayin' -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:22 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
today i and some friends ( sharonX and guys .. ) had a FPV session.

totally great !
sharon took the Bxlr to almost 2 km hight.... amazing !

i am working on the video now